ebay chain drive

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there Nobody, you're a good man. I have family in Franklin Square/Elmont area. If I make a deal for it, might I be able to pay you to deliver it there? Or might you be able to store a week or two until I can get up there? Of course this is all premature thinking. I guess we'll have to see. I am guessing swing arm is some recycled sportbike item? what's your take on it?

Contact me off line, to many A holes on here making incorrect judgments on me here.

Everything that he has sold has no title with it. Many bikes and a few cars. That in itself makes me nervous too. Also the feedback is definatley a turn off. I thought about bidding on it too. In all reallity and Sean more than likely will look at it the same. There is no way in hell the carbs are worth 2K. remember guys this is more or less a "salvage bike" What the guy is telling you means nothing. Truly the engine could be blown , maybe not and who knows what uneducated person might have got into the carbs/ engine trying to be mr mechanic. Once you have purchased one of these bikes you will soon have a new experience of how things just aren't what they are cracked up to be. A good deal sometimes comes around but not always. My first experience was with a baby Vmax years ago. The bike looked good , I was from out of state. I found it in the paper when passing through . I thought bike looks good custom seat and paint job, tires were in great shape. Needed some fork seals and the seller tells me that he has been riding it but he had no real time to ride anymore and has tried to start it but no such luck, like it had been sitting awhile. I turned it over and the engine sounded like it had good compression .which it did In the end .There is no way in hell that guy had ever ridden it. He had purchased it and thought he could fix it or he fucked with it ( sorry for the language still touchy years later) I started looking around the air box had a ton of 1" holes drilled in it for starters. The slides had atleast 1/4" holes drilled in them the bike wouldn't even start what so ever..... needless to say lots of my time and money. The so called deals are very very very touchy situation and you better do your damn homework. For starters think that the items you could obtain ie. chain drive, engine, carbs are worth half of new price and everything being (hopefully) mechanically sound ,you will do ok in the end... Other wise if you come into it thinking those carbs ( for example ) are worth 2 K. You will have so much money dumped into the thing it will be unreal. Atleast the 50% of new theory gives you a little room for movement. Goodluck with your purchase whom ever might win! I am not trying to put anyone down, I just want you to go in with your eyes open.

Scooter

Last edited:
ya id listen to what everyones saying on here, dont bid on this pile of junk parts with no title............

/login ebay
/bid

Youre right they are NOT worth 2 grand... according to their website,They are worth $1,849.95
39mm Keihin FCR Carburetor Kit: Complete with four, ported individual aluminum intake manifolds, throttle, cables, fuel lines and complete instructions.

Total Kit Price = $1,849.95
Obviously they lose value because we dont know where they have been or how they have been messed with but never the less.To SOME of us,$600 is worth the carbs alone unless one of you knows where I can get a set like that for about $600?

ya id listen to what everyones saying on here, dont bid on this pile of junk parts with no title............
/login ebay
/bid

The greatest, most rewarding, exciting, entertaining, and dearly held things in life that you will ever find most always involve a risk in aquiring. Otherwise, everyone would have it and what would be so great about that?

I wouldn't be opposed to bidding on this, but as a few others have pointed out, just assume the worst and bid accordingly. Good luck to who ever bids on this, and keep us posted.... It sure would be nice to find out all the mods to this "diamond in the rough"

In any case the bike has an old pcw mtr chain drive,1260 to 1570 who knows, Did anyone contact John from pcw and see if he remembers the bike or see what he thinks about it?If anything we are driving the price up by putting early bids in making this guy more coin. Wait till the end, In 1 of the other pics he has a bike under the blanket in the background could be a vmax front wheel, but whats he hiding? I will be saving my coin for a newer more reliable mtr,and from what i hear my morley jet kit makes more or just the same power as the flatsides. JIM

In any case the bike has an old pcw mtr chain drive,1260 to 1570 who knows, Did anyone contact John from pcw and see if he remembers the bike or see what he thinks about it?If anything we are driving the price up by putting early bids in making this guy more coin. Wait till the end, In 1 of the other pics he has a bike under the blanket in the background could be a vmax front wheel, but whats he hiding? I will be saving my coin for a newer more reliable mtr,and from what i hear my morley jet kit makes more or just the same power as the flatsides. JIM

Very good point, I am not sure why anyone that is serous about buy the bike would bid on it until the very end. bidding on it early just drives the price up, not sure what the point of that is??:ummm:

This is a 1992 bike, probelbly built a year or two before that, Gainey is not going to remember the details of a bike he built 18 years go.:ummm:

He scribes numbers into the block and keeps good records if I remember right.

Sean

Since I got a bid on this bike I am probably screwing myself by saying this but here is my take. The bike must have been running when it was laid over right? It may not have been running great but it was running. We know it already had the chain conversion motor. Could be anywhere from 1200 to a 1570 right? If the motor needs some work, how is that any different than getting your stock motor sent out and modded from bone stock? I am sure you will learn alot just from firing it up and listening for any death knocks. What could be the worst case scenario on the carbs? I guess they could have been amateur mods or adjustments. I can't imagine they would be scrap. Guess another 500-750 to send them out for a rebuild. The rear end is probably already sorted out as are the wheels,brakes, etc. Just count on NEVER getting a title so a "parts" bike at best. Again, only a fool would throw out a couple grand buying this thing sight unseen. State laws may not even allow you to transfer the motor to a clean titled frame assuming the motor is ok. If the guy is a scammer, it is caveat emptor. If he is a wholesaler, and just wants a few bucks for his efforts, what's wrong with that? He did come out with a fairly extensive "story" and I don't know what to think of that. I would discount any of it myself unless he can produce the old owner. Anyway, I would love to have it and willing to take my chances but on the cheap for sure!

It's worth a couple of grand for sure in parts. It's got the rear wheel and aluminum chain drive arm which have value. The engine if it spun a bearing will be expensive to fix (very expensive since it usually wipes out the trust journals in the cases) but still will have some usable parts. Carbs will be usable but I only suggest them on a very big engine but PCW sells them for about everything.

I've seen guys that had engine failures go and throw the bike out of the back of a truck to total it out for insurance. Not saying this is the case here but something to keep in mind. If it was closer to me I would bid it up $2000 at least and part it out. But, it would be a great donor bike if you wanted some upgrades and sell off your parts. End up with an almost free upgrade.

Sean

It's worth a couple of grand for sure in parts. It's got the rear wheel and aluminum chain drive arm which have value. The engine if it spun a bearing will be expensive to fix (very expensive since it usually wipes out the trust journals in the cases) but still will have some usable parts. Carbs will be usable but I only suggest them on a very big engine but PCW sells them for about everything.

I've seen guys that had engine failures go and throw the bike out of the back of a truck to total it out for insurance. Not saying this is the case here but something to keep in mind. If it was closer to me I would bid it up $2000 at least and part it out. But, it would be a great donor bike if you wanted some upgrades and sell off your parts. End up with an almost free upgrade.

Sean

You mean part it out and make money off it? Thats a no no from what I was told by some of the experts on here.

Not sure about parting one out being a bad thing to do. It can and does take time to get the "right" buyers and you may have to sit on some of the parts for a couple of years to get the best money for it. All I was stating is that there is some money to be made if the bike sells right but the engine internals are the biggest unknown. So buy the bike for the stuff you can see and if the engine is good inside then that's a bonus!

By the way, I will NOT be bidding since there is interest expressed here and the distance is farther then I want to deal with at the moment. Not to mention I have some other projects that the funds can go to first.

Sean

I'm pretty sure there's a 'snipers nest' out there drawing a bead on me so I'm not holding out much hope for a successful outcome to this auction. :biglaugh:

However, if there's any forum member who would like to bid on it but can't, or reluctant to because of the distance, I would be happy to go pick it up and store in my barn until springtime or when it's convenient for you to come get it.

I can't offer heated storage but it will stay covered and protected.

I'm about 3 - 3 1/2 hours away from the bike and would like my gas covered.

Latest posts

Back