Engine heater for winter ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transam

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I plan on riding deep into winter and have allready run into a hard
start problem at about 19 degrees. ( partially due to week battery I
believe ) Anyway, I have no garage but plan on parking the bike
on my porch. Does any one know of or made an engine heater for their
bike ? I would like something like cars use for the coolant. I could
tape one of the magnetic heaters to the bottom but don't believe that
would be that effective. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Unfortunately, there is no frost plugs built into the engine as there is for an automotive engine for a block heater. I think a magnetic style electric oil heater set up on at stand might work for you.

You may also consider using a 0W40 synthetic oil. I use this oil in my quads during colder temps.

Mike

couldn't you rig up a couple hair dyers duct taped to some of the porch posts?:rofl_200:

Thanks,
I have 5w40 Rotella synthetic in it now. Was hoping there would
be a heater that could tap into a rad. hose but haven't seen anything
in the catalogue's I have. How do the guys in Canada do it ? Heated
garages I imagine. Anyway thanks for the reply. Any other ideas out
there ?

Thanks,
I have 5w40 Rotella synthetic in it now. Was hoping there would
be a heater that could tap into a rad. hose but haven't seen anything
in the catalogue's I have. How do the guys in Canada do it ? Heated
garages I imagine. Anyway thanks for the reply. Any other ideas out
there ?

At 19f or -7c, the bike is parked for the season in heated storage. Once the snow starts, they use salt on the roads up here, so riding season is over. I think that riding in freezing conditions deserves a hardcore rider award.

Mike

Never tried it , but here's an off the wall idea get an old electric skillet
take the heating element off it and use that. you could fasten it to the oil pan with some clamps and would be able to unplug it when not needed also temp would be adjustable up to 550 :ummm:

Drive it in the front door of your house & park it in the living room. That will keep your max nice & warm.

14800.jpg

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=FIV&MfrPartNumber=14600&CategoryCode=3057A

Something like this?

I ride well into the cold, and before it gets warm in the spring. I've been out at low as 0(f) a few times. just as long as the snow is not on the riding surface.

Before I had the luxury of putting my rides in the garage, I used a battery tender , battery heater and a oil pan heater.

here are a few : http://www.padheaters.com/

The heater keeps everything nice an fluid and helps with the starting.

Don't forget to make sure your coolant has the proper mix od anti-freeze in it.

-KJ

light bulb under the oil pan left on all night will do the trick..make sure the bike is covered...

Also you can get bulbs that are made specially for heating - they don't glow as bright but make a lot of heat. My grand-parents used to have those to keep the chickens warm in the barn thru the winters..

Yeah I'd be tempted to keep a thinner oil in it like a 0w40 and keep the battery WELL charged with a Deltran battery tender as it will lose a bit of CCA in the cold weather.

THATS WHY I WON'T RIDE BELOW 65 DEG. , JUST TO AVOID ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS !:rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back