Engine heater for winter ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am waiting for a return e-mail for the pad. Seems like this could be the
way to go. I think I'll do the light that Dannymax and a couple of others
suggested before I buy one though. Man I wish it was 65 degrees
today, saw some snow start to fly. Just can't bare the thought of my
bike just sitting there though, I gotta ride !
While I'm on the cold weather thing, I've been looking at picking up some Tourmaster Flexpants as they are insulated, armored but can be stripped down in the spring to an armor mesh. Anybody used these or any other recommendations.
Thanks to all, you guys kick ass !

I ride well into the cold, and before it gets warm in the spring. I've been out at low as 0(f) a few times. just as long as the snow is not on the riding surface.

Before I had the luxury of putting my rides in the garage, I used a battery tender , battery heater and a oil pan heater.

here are a few : http://www.padheaters.com/

The heater keeps everything nice an fluid and helps with the starting.

Don't forget to make sure your coolant has the proper mix od anti-freeze in it.

-KJ

First COPRUNNER you are a great big P*ssy :biglaugh:. Just messing with you Bro but hell grow a sack :eusa_dance:

Second. Transam for your personal warmth if you dont have a heated jacket, pants and gloves get them right away. I use them down here, even in So Cal it gets into the low 30s in the morn during the commute and I ride all year around. It will be one of the best investments you make. Keep us updated as to how it goes.
You might even want to think about getting a canopy
http://www.canopymart.com/_e/Family...CT/10_X_10_THE_DUAL_IDENTITY_SCREEN_HOUSE.htm
that you can use to keep the elements off your bike and keep the heat in. Dont know how big your porch is but this is big enough to put the Max in, seal it up and turn on the heaters.
Cheers:punk:

Thanks ragin,

6 degrees this morning with windchill, 14 ambient. I'm thinking
those heated britches may be the way to go. Do you need to
run a connection directly to the battery so you can power them?
I've heard the stator is week on the Vmax is it capable of running
all the heated stuff ? Freakin a so cold the other day when I sat in the bike
the cover on the middle part of the seat spiderwebbed. :bang head: Damn thing
didn't have a single flaw on it till then. Oh, well time to look at that
seat from Sean.
Thanks again

Thanks ragin,

6 degrees this morning with windchill, 14 ambient. I'm thinking
those heated britches may be the way to go. Do you need to
run a connection directly to the battery so you can power them?
I've heard the stator is week on the Vmax is it capable of running
all the heated stuff ? Freakin a so cold the other day when I sat in the bike
the cover on the middle part of the seat spiderwebbed. :bang head: Damn thing
didn't have a single flaw on it till then. Oh, well time to look at that
seat from Sean.
Thanks again

Make sure your charging system is up to snuff. Instead of doing the crimp fix run your R/R straight to the battery. The stuff I have has a connection that attaches to the battery and my bike handles the gloves and jacket just fine. Start with the jacket and gloves they make a bigger impact than the legs. Get some under armour cold gear and leathers for the legs. Keeps you warm inside and the wind off the legs.
Cheers:punk:

Good come back COPRUNNER :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Hey Transam, Ragingmain is right. An electric vest or coat and gloves will make it bearable. I do a food drive 1000 mile ride-a-thon in February and without my Widder vest and gloves, it was downright chilly. I use snow pants over jeans over thermals. They seem to cut the wind very nicely. If your charging system is up to snuff, it should have no problems running the vest and gloves. Watch your wiring harness though, some have an unprotected plug next to an insulated one. Make sure you hook your hot lead to the insulated one so it doesn't short out on the frame or something when it's not plugged in.
Ride safe brother, the cagers really don't expect to see you out there when it's that cold so they won't.

Here's my engine heater...

:eusa_dance:

Well it sure does warm up my engine... :biglaugh:
100_1135-1.jpg

Looks sharp! I saw one last weekend and blew it's doors off with my Toyota Matrix. :biglaugh:

Hey Transam, Ragingmain is right. An electric vest or coat and gloves will make it bearable. I do a food drive 1000 mile ride-a-thon in February and without my Widder vest and gloves, it was downright chilly. I use snow pants over jeans over thermals. They seem to cut the wind very nicely. If your charging system is up to snuff, it should have no problems running the vest and gloves. Watch your wiring harness though, some have an unprotected plug next to an insulated one. Make sure you hook your hot lead to the insulated one so it doesn't short out on the frame or something when it's not plugged in.
Ride safe brother, the cagers really don't expect to see you out there when it's that cold so they won't.

I'll take a look at the electrics. I have a flex jacket so have been nice
and toasty just the legs getting cold. Unfortunately the pad I wanted to
use for the engine won't work on a finned surface. I have a magnetic
oil pan type heater on there now. Just used a bungee card attached
from one pipe to the kickstand. No problems so far. Thanks for the
cager warning bro.
Thanks everyone,
Live to ride,
Chris

YEA , I MUST ADMIT , I LOVE RIDING IN THE COLD & WHEN IT'S SNOWING ! IN MY F@#%&*G SUBURBAN !:rofl_200:

Take a high temp hose and route from the exit of the exhaust pipe and stick the other end of the hose in your pants for toasty nuts on them cold winter days

Dang, that all sounds complicated. All I do is open the garage door and back it out into the sun. Florida is great SUCKERS!!!!:eusa_dance:

Dang, that all sounds complicated. All I do is open the garage door and back it out into the sun. Florida is great SUCKERS!!!!:eusa_dance:

Until a hurricane hits and you are without water and electricity for days or weeks... :eusa_dance:

JUST FOR THE RECORD , I RODE FOR 9 MILES ON SUNDAY & IT WAS ONLY 45 DEG. ............ PS. WHY DOES'NT ANYONE LIVING IN FLORIDA INVITE US ALL DOWN ?:confused2:

Latest posts

Back