First time owner of '97 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to ask the dealer what the price difference is between having the wheel off the bike and having them remove/ change tire/ reinstall. If you remove/ replace the wheel yourself (pretty easy to do) might be woth the trip back to just have the tire changed.

whats the dealer doin that you can't? a lot of people have had bad luck at dealers. i'd try to do a lot of the work yourself, first, if possible.

Well, I just bought this bike so I'm not familiar with the ease of maintenance, and:

1. I prefer technical experts work my bike--especially my high tech BMW
2. I don't have much of an interest in buying tons of special tools (I already did this for my home renovations--I'm over it)
3. I don't like to risk my life riding 2 wheels and not knowing if I fixed it right
4. Is that enough excuses?

This will be my first experience with this Yamaha dealer, I'll see how it goes.

Take lot's of lube with you. There is nothing special needed on most of the stuff on this bike,

Sean

Well, I just bought this bike so I'm not familiar with the ease of maintenance, and:

1. I prefer technical experts work my bike--especially my high tech BMW
2. I don't have much of an interest in buying tons of special tools (I already did this for my home renovations--I'm over it)
3. I don't like to risk my life riding 2 wheels and not knowing if I fixed it right
4. Is that enough excuses?

This will be my first experience with this Yamaha dealer, I'll see how it goes.

nah i hear ya man, i've just heard lots of horror stories. if u find one that does good work awesome. but as sean said u'll pay for it. by all means though if you want to start, this forum is a great place. no worries either way.

No special tools req'd to take off the wheels at all. Hell, you could find what you need in the tool pouch if you don't mind using a wrench instead of sockets.

Prices to changes tires at my local shop are x2 if the wheels are still on the bike. It might even be more than that for the rear.

Not much to it other than making sure you tighten everything back up. I'd rather know I did it right and if you're not sure if you did, ask here. Rather than HOPE the dealer does it right and charges you out the a$$ for easy stuff.

I dont think the quality of service is the same as it use to be, so your confidence in having them work on your bike and everything will be ok when they are finished working on it is a little optimistic. The service depts or the mechanics IMO are either not trainined right or dont give a flying F about how they work on your bike/car so the quality of work goes down. Like the others say, rather have the peace of mind knowing it was done right or double checked.

lots of guys here that can and will help you work on your bike, its not hard at all. i learn lots everyday from the forum so put trust in yourself and go for it..... save your coins for gas money.

I will listen and learn from you guys but I too have come across anal bike mechanics that take pride in their work.

I will listen and learn from you guys but I too have come across anal bike mechanics that take pride in their work.
im sure there are lots out there just hard to find thats all i was getting at. IF your comfortable with the service they give you then go for it. having tinkered around with bmw cars i know what you mean by having the tools, you'll find the max is plesently simple and fun to work on(well alteast what little i do on mine):ummm:

how do you like the vmax ride so far?, i know its not like your beemer, ive riden a bunch of gs 1200 and k1200r, super nice tranny in those, you dont even know you've shifted, nice power band also in the K12's:punk: nice touring bikes

of course. we're all making generalizations. i know the local dealer in utica did a tire change for my dads buddy and never bolted the caliper to the arm in the back. he went out riding and someone stopped him at a bike night and showed him his caliper was stretched as far as it could with the hose on the othe rside of the rotor.

how do you like the vmax ride so far?, i know its not like your beemer, ive riden a bunch of gs 1200 and k1200r, super nice tranny in those, you dont even know you've shifted, nice power band also in the K12's:punk: nice touring bikes

I enjoyed my 600 mile ride home from North Carolina. I love to feel the rumble and the stock sound is fine too. It is a more long distance comfortable bike than my other rides.

My K--R tranny is one of the clunky ones, I def know when i'm shifting into 2nd and 3rd but the power is awesome....................:punk:it's easy to overlook its minor deficiencies.

of course. we're all making generalizations. i know the local dealer in utica did a tire change for my dads buddy and never bolted the caliper to the arm in the back. he went out riding and someone stopped him at a bike night and showed him his caliper was stretched as far as it could with the hose on the othe rside of the rotor.

My boss doesn't do much work to his bike himself. He pays the dealer for most of it. He spends a decent amount up there, not as musch as some, but a decent amount. I will say that they treat him well but don't always the job well.

Last week they had installed new bars on his bike and before he even made it home his throttle was sticking so he ended up giving me a shout and asking me to ride up to the shop with him. The service manager comes out and rides his bike in. All three of us sit around and BS for a bit as he works on the bike. It took him about 15 minutes to completely tear apart the throttle housing and put it back together. The only issue was that the guys who swapped it over onto the new bars didn't tighten the housing screw enough and it slid a bit to the left and the inside of his kuryakyn grip end was getting caught up on the bars effectively locking the throttle in whatever position it was in. Stupid mistake. Taken care of quickly by the manager himself in front of us. But, should never have happened. Very dangerous to have a sticking throttle IMHO. Especially if you aren't expecting it.

Hmmmmm...Pizza!!! Man, I have too much yard/exterior house work to do. Besides, I'm taking the beast to the dealership tonight for inspection. I need a new rear tire and a few other things. I probably won't have it back until next week.
think you'll get your bike back tomorrow? pizza run is still on for sat, meeting up with guys in utica sat morning then to canton, you can bring your beemer instead, but would be cooler if you brought your new vmax......:punk:

think you'll get your bike back tomorrow? pizza run is still on for sat, meeting up with guys in utica sat morning then to canton, you can bring your beemer instead, but would be cooler if you brought your new vmax......:punk:

Well, i thought I'd hear from the dealership yesterday. I did not. No news is bad news........

I still have my yard/house work :confused2:

Latest posts

Back