Fork Seals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralbrecht

Reaction score
Does anyone else have fork seal problems? It seems like I have to replace them every 2 or 3 years. I've had to do this since I bought it when it only had 11,000 miles on it. Is there a more permanent fix?

Get rid of the stock springs and change oil every 2 years. Progressive and Racetech springs are very good.

Maybe review your install procedure. You might be damaging the seals as your installing them. Just a thought. Normally they last 20-30,000 miles or so. Check out Sean's video too. Very worth while.......

At least you have the 43 mm downtubes-'93+!

You might try those little tube guards they put on the newer forks, not sure what was the first year, I think around 2000? Who knows for sure if they do fit the earlier 43 mm forks before the forks came w/them? Plus, you can put some cool little "My Little Pony" sticker on there to buy you some street cred w/the 1%'ers at the roadhouse!:biglaugh:

You might try those little tube guards they put on the newer forks, not sure what was the first year, I think around 2000? Who knows for sure if they do fit the earlier 43 mm forks before the forks came w/them?

They won't fit. I replaced my 97 forks with 2003 forks to get the guards. Also added Race-Tech springs and emulators.

The entire fork will swap but not just the guards. I do have a few late model sets we are going to be selling soon!

Sean

I cant agree.

I have found some aftermarket seals to be beter then stockers more then dozen times. Not to mention about dust seals...

which ones? i've found 'moose' brand for dirt bikes hold up pretty damn well.

I noted that the OP is from Colorado. If you ride your Max in cold weather and hit a big bump that works the forks hard before the oil has had a chance to warm up a bit you can blow the seal. Had this happen on Toxic a couple of times until I smartened up.... and bought a USD front end LOL.

Don't use aftermarket seals either.
+1, I've learned that the hard way and will be putting OEM'S in after 3 years. I see a lot of VMAX's, mine included, and other bikes with an oil sheen on the tubes. Wheelies don't help....lol. I like guards because keeping the lower tubes clean is almost impossible.
Steve-o

On a side note I do have some of the fork seal cleaning tools if anyone wants one! Can't remember the cost but they aren't expensive.

Sean

Back