Frame Paint Prices and Options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
Has anyone here had their frame powdercoated? If so, how much would you plan on spending to have someonw sandblast and paint the frame?

This is going to be for my drag bike project. I'm pretty limited on $$ and would rather spend the money on things that make me go faster, but now would be the time to paint the frame if I was going to do it. I was also thinking I should weld on a few gussets as well to help strengthen the frame. I know there have been a few posts about doing this and I'll need to do some searching to find it. If anyone knows of the weak points in the frame, I'm all ears.

I'm also trying to find a sweet paint scheme, so if you have some favorite pics, please post them.

Thanks,
Jeff

Here's a pic of gussets to frame at the rear swingarm area - I've done this mod and it goes help.

Mike

Attachments

• new_gussets_4.jpg
    new_gussets_4.jpg
    68.4 KB
Thanks! What was the material thickness you used?

I'm also throwing in a few pictures of painted frames... I think with Morley's colored hoses, you could have a very nice looking bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    93.1 KB
  • 100_2198.jpg
    100_2198.jpg
    122.2 KB
I think the last frame we just got done was around $200.

Sean

Attachments

• Frame Silver Coat.jpg
    Frame Silver Coat.jpg
    80.8 KB
Jeff

To be honest I wouldnt powder coat a drag bike chassis... 1) Powder coating is heavier than paint and 2) its only going to see the dragstrip, its not like you are going to be driving it on the street getting nailed by debris from cars in front of you and in the rain. A dragbike chassis doesnt get dinged up much only in the rear from the sticky slick picking up small stones and slingin em off in the rear inner fender causing spider web cracks in bodywork paint job:bang head:
Now is the time to start chopping on that frame such as the rear section, that hole rear framing is no longer needed. Are you going to have it raked?
Also make sure you are complete with your chassis before you start spraying. Fuel cell, battery box tabs, etc.....

Good stuff Lankee... I think you just made up my mind for me... keep building and fizz-can it as I weld. I'm sure I'll be swapping motors from time to time, so I can always paint it then. I know it would be easier now, but I'm not done with everything, and I would hate to spend the $$ and have to weld on it later. I don't think I am going to mess with the frame (maybe throw a few gussets in there), but I'm not going to mess with the rake (though I would like too plus it looks cool). I'll be putting wheelie bars and maybe one of Morleys longer braced swingarms (in case I don't run bars all the time). I would like to be able to make it streetable again, so I'm not going to go too extreme with removing/modifying things. I would also like to keep this bike as a "test bike" that won't be too far off from a stocker.

I guess I'll clean up what I have and keep moving ahead.

Thanks!
Jeff

Hey Jeff, ever thought about bead or sand blasting it. Then scratch it up and clear over the bare metal frame. Personally, I think it looks bad ass!

Jeff

It just hit me about the downsides well the only downside of powder coating WEIGHT! A dragbike VMAX doesnt need anymore, save the money you would have spent on powder coasting for a set of Aluminum Wheelie Bars they are lighter and also work much better.,.
If I cant trade or sell my VMAX for a decent GSXR bracket bike I have plans to invest 1500.00 in mine to make it a killer bracket bike, wont be the fastest but I think I can build a competitive bike without breaking the bank..

I didnt realize the Dyno ignition has a low side rpm limiter which will work great with the Auto / Slider clutch, this was the biggest downfall on the VMAX back in the day for consistent launches..

Latest posts

Back