fuel light..how far can you go?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
After the fuell light comes on,..how far can you expect to go, at normal highway speed.? thanks.

And...what should a person expect for gas millage, driven normally"if thats possible"

100-120. I average 75 mostly city riding with an "occasional" twist of the wrist.

What do you consider highway speed? When I cruise with no intention of seeing how fast I can go with 95% of the ride on freeways, (speeds of 70-75 mph) I see the light at about 120 miles. I am running stock jetting, with a Venture pumpkin.

Usually, I fill up within about 5 miles of the light coming on anyway, and I put in about 3 gallons of gasoline. So, if I would run the tank empty, I'm guessing I would hit 155-160 miles before walking.

I hit the red light at 105 miles constantly. My highway cruising speed is around 85 mph.

So with 0.8 Gal left when the light comes on, I should get about 131 miles to empty.

That's on my '86, stock motor and jetting, Jardines slip-ons, Venture pumpkin, big windshield top box and hard panniers.

I hit the red light at 105 miles constantly. My highway cruising speed is around 85 mph.

So with 0.8 Gal left when the light comes on, I should get about 131 miles to empty.

That's on my '86, stock motor and jetting, Jardines slip-ons, Venture pumpkin, big windshield top box and hard panniers.

thank you and all who replied.:thumbs up:

my 86 is about the same as naughtyg,under somewhat normal riding my light will come on at 105 to 110.far as i know everything is stock except for my k&n air filter and kerkers

I hit reserve about 112 miles. I suspect about 34 miles left to empty.
I've gone 22 before fill up.

I was getting between 83 and 87 km's when the light came on for reserve and I only bought the vmax a month ago. So thinking I should get atleast a 160km before the reserve light I am fighting with the dealer here in Australia who sold me this 92 import. And after 2 weeks of not knowing what this can be since all the carbs are now sync' ed and there is no smell of the bike running rich and smelling like its throwing petrol from the exhaust (which it did smell like before the carbs were sync 'ed), he comes up with scenario.
Now all you guru's of VMAX's out there please tell me if this can be true.
It now appears that the bike is doing the correct km's but is showing half the km's on the trip meter. Is this even possible ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
He says he did this by doing a 50 km each way round trip. So in effect the bike should have show some 100 odd km's on the trip meter but it shows 54km's . Now I ride in a conservative manner to gauge the gas mileage this bike can produce and I am sure the shop mechanic is too. So if what he says is true then the said 25000 k's I bought the bike at is infact 50000 k's ?
Please can anyone shed a light on this thing for me ? I am lost and I am very close to filing a complaint about this dealer with fairTrade here to get a refund OR a replacement. :ummm:

I was getting between 83 and 87 km's when the light came on for reserve and I only bought the vmax a month ago. So thinking I should get atleast a 160km before the reserve light I am fighting with the dealer here in Australia who sold me this 92 import. And after 2 weeks of not knowing what this can be since all the carbs are now sync' ed and there is no smell of the bike running rich and smelling like its throwing petrol from the exhaust (which it did smell like before the carbs were sync 'ed), he comes up with scenario.
It now appears that the bike is doing the correct km's but is showing half the km's on the trip meter. Is this even possible ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
He says he did this by doing a 50 km each way round trip. So in effect the bike should have show some 100 odd km's on the trip meter but it shows 54km's . Now I ride in a conservative manner to gauge the gas mileage this bike can produce and I am sure the shop mechanic is too. So if what he says is true then the said 25000 k's I bought the bike at is infact 50000 k's ?
Please can anyone shed a light on this thing for me ? I am lost and I am very close to filing a complaint about this dealer with fairTrade here to get a refund OR a replacement. :ummm:

WOW that sounds weird. TBH, to me it's like it's a bike showing MPH instead instead of KM/H maybe?

Where was it imported from?

Today very soon after I hit reserve I went to fill up and put in 3.85 gal. I've never had to put in that much..wondering if the station is short changing how much your actually getting.

WOW that sounds weird. TBH, to me it's like it's a bike showing MPH instead instead of KM/H maybe?

Where was it imported from?

Yeah. I thought the same at first that its showing miles instead of Km's but the mechanic says its km's. He is doing some tests this week with another speedo/odo. When I get this bike back I am going to test it with the GPS. Also I think I have to start asking questions about the genuine mileage of this bike.
I think it is a Japanese import but I am not too sure.

Today very soon after I hit reserve I went to fill up and put in 3.85 gal. I've never had to put in that much..wondering if the station is short changing how much your actually getting.

3.8 is total capacity!

Yeah. I thought the same at first that its showing miles instead of Km's but the mechanic says its km's. He is doing some tests this week with another speedo/odo. When I get this bike back I am going to test it with the GPS. Also I think I have to start asking questions about the genuine mileage of this bike.
I think it is a Japanese import but I am not too sure.

weird. get a pic of the speedo when u get a chance eh?

What r u on this morning Garrett? 4.0 gal is total capacity innit? When the reserve light comes on, there's 0.8 left so only 3.2 gal should fit in.. :ummm:

i've always had 3.0 to the light and 8 capacity..?

but ya ur right, 4.0 total, .8 reserve... oh well! sorry bud!

3.85 is still too close for me!

I will do that for you when I get the bike back from the mechanics but unlike some of the test rides on some other vmax's which had miles and km's on the speedo, this one only has km's.

sounds like 'bull' to me IMO - probably just trying to give you an answer , just any answer to get rid of you... Then again I'm no professional, it just seems a bit far fetched unless you have a modified speedo drive etc etc
If it as he's saying I'd get some money back off the purchase price if you bought the bike under the impression it had 25000k's.

Latest posts

Back