fuel spitting out of gas tank from top

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingcastle

Reaction score
hey theres a hose attached to the top of the gas tank it keeps spitting out gas, I was wondering how to stop it, i took off hose to see what causes it, and its just pressure building up in tank, then causing it to spit up, any tips would appreciate it thanks!

Attachments

• spitting.jpg
    spitting.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 31
Looks like that is were your tank vent is SUPPOSED to be attached. Not sure why someone would remove it. If it is spitting and you remove the gas cap, do you hear a woosh of air and then it stops pissing everywhere?

If so, you've got a problem with venting the tank. I don't know if the fuel cap is supposed to be air tight or not. I'm guessing yes.

If i'm correct (50/50 chance :biglaugh:) and that is where the vent is supposed to go, it looks like someone has jury rigged something on the end. It should just be a plain nipple sticking out of the tank. A rubber hose should connect to that nipple, run down in front of the battery, have a "tip over" valve inline, and it terminates down by the oil pan. There is a little spring that attaches to the rear of the oil pan that should secure the end of the hose.

I would try to pull off whatever it is that is on that vent pipe. Clean it out, and install a new hose. A tipover valve is a good idea to keep you from catching on fire in case of an accident but I wouldn't say its necessary for the bike to operate.

well i took the hose off to show what it is doing there is a hose there tho that runs down with the tip over valve in place . but still even when its attach it still leaks all the way down through the hose, and the bike has caught on fire once thats why im asking can you send me a pic or post a pic of how yours looks on the end of the gas tank vent is, not sure if that gold piece thats inside of it, is suppose to be there, was wondering if i can just block it completely thanks

well i took the hose off to show what it is doing there is a hose there tho that runs down with the tip over valve in place . but still even when its attach it still leaks all the way down through the hose, and the bike has caught on fire once thats why im asking can you send me a pic or post a pic of how yours looks on the end of the gas tank vent is, not sure if that gold piece thats inside of it, is suppose to be there, was wondering if i can just block it completely thanks

Yes, that is the tank vent line, and no, do not remove that little brass piece that you see in the end - that is an orifice to reduce the diameter of the vent line. My bike has it, and I'm sure all bikes do. The purpose of the orifice would be to greatly reduce the flow of gas, in the event of a tip-over.
As to the reason for the leak, I have no idea. The vent line is above the normal maximum fill level of the tank. That is, unless you have an auxilary gas tank installed??

Start by replacing your gas cap, as the tank is not being vented and building up pressure.

I do fill my gas tank all the way pretty much to the neck line, the only reason I do that is because my tank only gets about 100 miles per tank and I do have a reserve tank - I think - because I do have a reserve switch on my throttle what do you think I should do?

Tip over valve may be stuck or the line leading from the vent is pinched. Pull the line and try to blow thru it, you should only be able to blow air towards the discharge end with tip over valve in the normal position.

+1 sounds like a pinched line. does it still do it when you take the gas cap off? someone didnt hook a fuel pump to that line did they? your bike run normal, start and at speed?

yes bike runs normal, the line is not on and it spits gas out of tank still, it seems like if i take hose off and shake bike up, it builds pressure and shoots gas out, so it is building pressure, ill try today, havnt tried it with cap off but bike runs fine, when hose is connected it will sometimes leak all the way through to the end, only thing bike seems to be doing is if im flooring it and going about a hundred and let off gas bike seems to die

Last edited:
I think - because I do have a reserve switch on my throttle what do you think I should do?

You do, the Vmax reserve is around .8gal, Keep the switch to "ON" for normal, everyday riding. When the fuel light comes on flip the switch to "RES" This will kick the pump on and allow for a few more miles.

The mistake that is commonly made is that some people think that being the switch says "RES ON", that flipping the switch to the "ON" side is actually switching to the reserve.

The mistake that is commonly made is that some people think that being the switch says "RES ON", that flipping the switch to the "ON" side is actually switching to the reserve.

Yep, I ran mine in the wrong Position for many years...duh:rofl_200:

Yep, I ran mine in the wrong Position for many years...duh:rofl_200:

I thought that way too, when my bike was delivered I walked around it a few times, then when I read the owners manual, all things were clear.

I didn't get bit by it though, it was delivered in the middle of winter so I wasn't taking it out any time soon. :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back