Gen1 VMAX 1985 won't start after replacing turnsignal relay.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Dooh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1985 California model GEN1.

Problem: When i turn my key to ignite, all the lights are on, but when i hit the start button, nothing happens.
Completely dead.

HIstory:
I had an issue with my turnsignal... Suddenly they didn't work after 10 years of working.
Got a similar 2nd hand realy switch, connected it, also did not work.
Installed the orginal Relay back... and connected the old connector to it.

After that the mess started.

See the video: I do not hear the Vboost humming after i turn my key.
But the lights an the dasboard light up en flicker when i hit the startbutton
But it'won't start. it's completely dead

What have a i already done:
-Cleaned the killswitch.
-Cleaned the turnsignal connectors
-Cleaned the sidestand connector
-Putted it in 1st gear en 2nd gear and back to neutral. Nothing happens.
-Cleaned the connectors of the clutch handle.

Could it be a faulthy 2nd hands relay which causes a short circuit? L
Like is there a connection between the relay and starting engine or what?
Is there a way to bypass the kill switch or the security of the clutch handle?
If there is a shortcircuit why do all the lights go on?
It sounds like if you're in the first gear and you did not squeeze the clutch handle.

Please help me where to start...

John

Attachments

• 20240510_171456000_iOS.MOV
    18.3 MB
  • 20240510_171147000_iOS.MOV
    27.4 MB
Under the left scoop where the turnsignal relay is, there`s also the relay for igntion and fuel pump. I`d start by wiggling the wires there and see if you can hear the pump.

Firstly are we talking about the same thing? Below is a photo of the the flasher unit.

Unplug it. It has nothing to do with the starting or running of the engine.

The unit connects to the turn switch to start and stop the flashing. It has input from the speedo to turn off once the bike has travelled a certain distance - a safety feature should you forget to turn the flasher off. From memory it turns off after a certain time too.

I am not aware of an aftermarket replacement so although unlikely, you may have damaged something by plugging the unit you bought.

Can you post photos of it?

In sure I've read that you can connect a 2 or 3 pin flasher relay but lose the self cancelling feature, folks using LED bulbs have done that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240605-185207.png
    Screenshot_20240605-185207.png
    631.7 KB
On an '85 the turn signal relay is combined with the starter circuit cut off relay and was changed to separate units post '89.

Bit confused as you say 'When i turn my key to ignite (you mean start?), all the lights are on, but when i hit the start button, nothing happens.
Completely dead.' but the engine appears to be running in the video?
Also, is that a non OE ignition switch you are turning on?

Whatever the issue 'fraid there is no easy answer.
Assuming it is electrical you need to work through the system and check the continuity of the relevant circuits and that you have power going to the cut-off / signal relay and the side stand relay. Also check the earth from the side stand switch.
It would be good to get known good cut-off /signal relay and the side stand relays which would allow you to rule them out.

On an '85 the turn signal relay is combined with the starter circuit cut off relay and was changed to separate units post '89.
I'm sure you're right, I recall seeing combined unit but didn't take much notice sine mine is' 98.

Turning on the ignition headlamp comes on, you should hear Vboost cycle and the fuel pump click until carbs are full. The green neutral light should be on.

When you press the ignition, headlamp goes off, or at least dims, the starter solenoid should click but you may not hear that if the starter motor turns over.

Also the engine kill switch should be off.

Bit confused as you say 'When i turn my key to ignite (you mean start?), all the lights are on, but when i hit the start button, nothing happens.
Completely dead.' but the engine appears to be running in the video?
Also, is that a non OE ignition switch you are turning on?

Whatever the issue 'fraid there is no easy answer.
Assuming it is electrical you need to work through the system and check the continuity of the relevant circuits and that you have power going to the cut-off / signal relay and the side stand relay. Also check the earth from the side stand switch.
It would be good to get known good cut-off /signal relay and the side stand relays which would allow you to rule them out.
HI,

Thanx for your answer...
My answer to your question if the engine appears to be running : The engine does not appear to be running.
That's the whole issue :)
The non OE ignition ? See below:

FYI:
All the relays and killswitch and ignition switches on my bike are original VMAX85. Never replaced them.
The red connector left on the steer is for my Fan to start that if the thermostate does not work well.
Until now :)

Background info:
The bike stood still for 8 months and fired up well the same day in the morning.
That's what it does for almost 24 years since i own the bike. No battery dripper or charger is in need.
That's what i like on this bike...

Because the turnsignals were not working i assummed that the relay was bad.
The relay i first bought was a 2nd hands item and looked like the small relay next to the (afterwards known as) turnsignal relay.
When i disconnected the small one on the bike, the pins were not matching. So that did not fit.
Putted back the old small relay and tried the bigger relay next to it with the right amount of pins. (Turn Signal Relay)
These pins were matching (9 pins). So i thought "ok maybe a newer one which is smaller".
Nothing happened either. So i've putted everything back in the original setting.

See the image: The left one is the second hand one which did not work when connected it to replace the orginal turn signal relay.

Eventually i bought a original yamaha Turnsignal relay. See 2nd image. (New one is now installed on the bike)
This one also don't work. same result. All lights are burning, when i turn the key.
When hitting the start button nothing happens.

I believe when connecting the wrong relay to the Turnsignal connector, things got messed up.
Maybe a short circuit somewere? I don't know if that is possible?

So what kind of relay is the small relay next to the Turnsignal, which i wanted to replace in the first time?
Could it be that when disconnecting this relay could caused something?
And how do i measure ifi the relay's are good?

Attachments

• image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    1.9 MB
  • image 1 .jpg
    image 1 .jpg
    2.6 MB
The small relay is most likely the side stand relay.
My answer to your question if the engine appears to be running : The engine does not appear to be running.
Thanks for the clarification, the sound on the clip sounded like it was.
So what kind of relay is the small relay next to the Turnsignal, which i wanted to replace in the first time?
Could it be that when disconnecting this relay could caused something?
And how do i measure ifi the relay's are good?
It is most probably the side stand relay which has four wires, blue/ yellow, black/ white, black and red/ white.
I suspect that the relay is normally closed ( as is the side stand switch with the stand up) so if you remove the relay the system will think it has opened which indicates the side stand is down and the engine won't run.
To test the relay use an ohm meter and check continuity between the back and black/ white wires - it should show open circuit.
Now connect a 12v battery to the red and red/ white wires. You should now read zero ohms between the black and black/ white wires showing that the contact has closed.

Back