H-D recalls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't sound like to big a problem, or too long to fix it. There are a lot of hateful messages on that site. I like motorcycles period, cars too. I don't care where they're made. To each his own. I'm a happy camper when I'm on my Vmax. Someone else on whatever they like. I had a good time on that Quabbin run last summer. All kinds of bikes came, just about every popular manufacturer represented. Great time with good people. My 2 cents added.
Steve-o

Last edited:
I was amused at the comments at the bottom of the post......

DANG!! I read the posts and there are some people out there that just simply do not play well with others!!!:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Pretty much any post anywhere on the internet has a HD-bash fest in the comments section.

That recall is kind of a big deal, since HDs are generally designed to stop primarily with the rear wheel, with the front used only in panic situations. On all 3 HDs I've driven (a bagger, a XR, and some flavor of softail), using the front brake any harder than the most casual stop resulted in the fork shuddering violently. I guess the rear brake pedal is the size of the one in my truck for a reason...that's the one you're supposed to use.

That recall is kind of a big deal, since HDs are generally designed to stop primarily with the rear wheel, with the front used only in panic situations.

Where did you read this at? Sounds interesting, being the rear brake is not a big percentage of the stopping power, I'd like to read that article.
I've never had an issue with the harley's I've owned or ridden. Not even the big twin custom that had the front end way the hell out there.
Something like that would need to get posted for other max owners that also own an HD or two.

I also found that to be true , using the front brake coming to a stop is not a smooth feeling . A Harley is a completely different animal in the bike world . They can make 10 different models out of the same bike by adding or subtracting one piece at a time...:confused2:

Where did you read this at? Sounds interesting, being the rear brake is not a big percentage of the stopping power, I'd like to read that article.
I've never had an issue with the harley's I've owned or ridden. Not even the big twin custom that had the front end way the hell out there.
Something like that would need to get posted for other max owners that also own an HD or two.
I never had a problem with them stopping I hammer on the front brakes just like I do on my Max & they seem to stop good. The recall is a simple switch that takes 5 minutes to fix everyone has recalls Look at the new Max with oil pump recall. I dont really see this is a reason to Rag on them. Sorry KJ I replied to wrong post I meant to reply to the one about the back brakes..LOL

That recall is kind of a big deal, since HDs are generally designed to stop primarily with the rear wheel, with the front used only in panic situations. On all 3 HDs I've driven (a bagger, a XR, and some flavor of softail), using the front brake any harder than the most casual stop resulted in the fork shuddering violently. I guess the rear brake pedal is the size of the one in my truck for a reason...that's the one you're supposed to use.
Damn, where did you get that idea? Nowhere have I ever seen that before here and I've riding (and stopping) Harleys for many years. I seldom ever use the rear brake, maybe the last 10 feet at a stop light, or holding the bike on a hill.

Pretty much any post anywhere on the internet has a HD-bash fest in the comments section.

You will likely take the following as bashing, and for that I apologize in advance.

However...

The only thing that shudders around here is me every time I read one of your posts.

You base all of the negative H-D bashing you do on three test drives... :confused2:

You go out of your way to chime in on every thread that contains any H-D content of any sort and post a diatribe which, quite frankly I believe is not based on any actual facts of any sort but just some sort of preconceived notions you have towards the brand.

If you haven't any sort of care or worry about how you make the forum look, will you at least someday pause, take a step back and possibly notice that you offend fellow forum members who may have a different outlook or point of view than yours?

A true motorcyclist will try to promote all forms of motorcycling and support any fellow motorcyclists down their chosen path. There are a great many different forms of motorcycling and a great many different types of motorcycles that help us to find some small piece of enjoyment in an otherwise shitty world.

I usually look forward to logging in to the VMax Forum to read more about the one escape I enjoy the most... motorcycling... and in this case the VMax.

I do not like the way I feel after I read your posts...

I never had a problem with them stopping I hammer on the front brakes just like I do on my Max & they seem to stop good. The recall is a simple switch that takes 5 minutes to fix everyone has recalls Look at the new Max with oil pump recall. I dont really see this is a reason to Rag on them. Sorry KJ I replied to wrong post I meant to reply to the one about the back brakes..LOL

No worries Kyle.

I understand the recall, I just have never heard about Harley's being designed to have the rear brake be a primary stopping force over the front brake.

As far as the recall, I'm wondering if it is placement of the HD's equipment, pipe design allowing too much heat, or all of the above. need a nice and out of the way set of pipes, like the ones that were on my chopper. My old Goldwing used to have rear brake issues with the line, I'd have to get it replaced damn near every time it came out of storage. I ended up putting an after market hose on it. I sold it that fall, so I don't know if it made a difference or not.

Attachments

• user1127_pic889_1230678106.jpg
    user1127_pic889_1230678106.jpg
    48.1 KB
No worries Kyle.

I understand the recall, I just have never heard about Harley's being designed to have the rear brake be a primary stopping force over the front brake.

As far as the recall, I'm wondering if it is placement of the HD's equipment, pipe design allowing too much heat, or all of the above. need a nice and out of the way set of pipes, like the ones that were on my chopper. My old Goldwing used to have rear brake issues with the line, I'd have to get it replaced damn near every time it came out of storage. I ended up putting an after market hose on it. I sold it that fall, so I don't know if it made a difference or not.
You never heard anything about it because its not true.LOL Although I do know a lot of people around here that are scared of there front brakes so I change there rear ones really often even had one telling me how he almost hit a truck because his back end was sliding sideways & I said did you use your front brake. Well you know what the answer was. I just cant understand people that wont use there front brake. The switch on the Harley could very well be a placement issue since it sits by the exaust. What year was your Goldwing ? I had 2 76's a 93 & 94 & never had problems with mine maybe I got lucky but mine were never in storage either. I put 67,000 miles in one year on my 94.

No worries Kyle.

I also was unaware KJ, I thought it was just a silly fad of the 60's and 70's. It was very common to see extended front ends with no brake connection or a custom wheel without a brake drum. What were we all thinking? Those drum brakes were scary to begin with and the front was grabby, if it was connected. I loved my old iron head almost as much as my Vmax. I'd get that baby up to 115 or so and really think I was flying. The old Sportster could have used a recall. Brakes and a battery. There was no battery in a 1969 XLCH.
Steve-o

my harley's front brakes shutter a bit under 10 mph. otherwise they stop pretty nicely. not like the vmax, but they're stock. the vmax's are not.

What year was your Goldwing ?.

It was an '86.

I think that sitting outside in the -60deg winters had a bit to do with it. But my Venture, XS, XL and other bikes didn't have the problem, So I really don't know what was causing it. No signs of leaking fluid and the calipers were fine, it just seemed to take on air.

It was an '86.

I think that sitting outside in the -60deg winters had a bit to do with it. But my Venture, XS, XL and other bikes didn't have the problem, So I really don't know what was causing it. No signs of leaking fluid and the calipers were fine, it just seemed to take on air.
Never had a 1200 wing so cant really say on that one .

One of my friends bought a new Honda ST1300. It left him stranded quite a distance from home. Had to truck it to a local dealer. Turned out to be the routing of wiring causing wearing away of the cover and causing a short. This turned into a recall. Honda actually sent a rep to talk to my friend and inspect the problem.

All manufacturers have problems. Bikes are so complex now, they can all make production line errors.

As I stated in an earlier post, my new Harley Sturgis I bought in 1990 had a recall on its Japanese Mikuni carb. That was the only problem I had on the bike for the 8.5 years I owned it. It was a great bike. Sold it to the Austin TX HD dealer for $2300 more than I paid for it after the 8.5 years of use. Didn't get tired of the bike, got tired of the rubbies.

On the braking issue, Harleys rear brakes generally work better that most due to the weight distribution. There is more weight to the rear and less weight transfer while braking. Many of the old timer HD riders got used to riding with no front brakes so continued to use the rears out of habit. I have been riding since 1958 and love all bikes. Just some more than others. :biglaugh: Do not like any bike bashing actually.... :(

Ok lets get every thing strait here the front brakes on Harleys are not the greatest just like the Vmax If were considering stock brakes they all SUCK ! We modify everything the way we like it that is part of owning a bike. They make parts for harleys to make them stop & handle better just like our non handling Vmax's. I am not downing either bike. I am not sayng Harleys or Yamahas are my favorite. I am saying all bikes have there purpose & I have no idea why any one would compare a Vmax to a Harley that is stupidity in my oppinion just me 2 cents !

All the Harleys i have ridden have front brakes that work, some not as good as others, but they stop the bike a hell of a lot faster than the rear brake. My sportster had a single disc up front that could lock up the front tire if you pulled the lever hard enough. Granted you had to pull hard.

Back