'' how come'' ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
how come with so many people talking about getting head-shake ( death wobble ) and what to do about it , and how scary it was & how close they came to crashing , doen't anyone think that any fellow v-maxer"s over the last 23 years traveling at high speed got the " death wobble " , crashed and died , & it was ritten off as they were speeding & lost controll ! When the truth is , its a fucking design flaw that yamaha should have fixed a long time ago ! Or am i just fucking crazy ?

how come with so many people talking about getting head-shake ( death wobble ) and what to do about it , and how scary it was & how close they came to crashing , doen't anyone think that any fellow v-maxer"s over the last 23 years traveling at high speed got the " death wobble " , crashed and died , & it was ritten off as they were speeding & lost controll ! When the truth is , its a fucking design flaw that yamaha should have fixed a long time ago ! Or am i just fucking crazy ?

You are friggin' crazy, but that's beside the point. :biglaugh:

I asked the same question on another thread...why in the hell didn't Yamaha ever fix it? Better yet, why were they able to get by all of these years without fixing it? Christ, I've seen huge recalls for stupid, much less of a safety factor stuff in all industries...yet this faux pas continued?

You are friggin' crazy, but that's beside the point. :biglaugh:

I asked the same question on another thread...why in the hell didn't Yamaha ever fix it? Better yet, why were they able to get by all of these years without fixing it? Christ, I've seen huge recalls for stupid, much less of a safety factor stuff in all industries...yet this faux pas continued?

By never publicly acknowledging that head shake was a problem, such as in an internal service memo or some other form of traceable paperwork, Yamaha never opened themselves up be liable. They still have "deniability."

Take the Gator case, when they stated that the Gator "might" turn over on flat ground (forget the fact some idiot was trying a hairpin turn at 50 mph) the 'class action sharks' began to gather. Turning it around to make it look like Yamaha "was aware there was a stability problem....." or some shit like that.

They didn't do that with head shake, so.........never had to recall or anything. That's my HO anyway.

danny

By never publicly acknowledging that head shake was a problem, such as in an internal service memo or some other form of traceable paperwork, Yamaha never opened themselves up be liable. They still have "deniability."

Could be. And perhaps even a design change along the way could have been tacit acknowledgement of a problem, thus opening them up to suits from previous tank slapper crashes...who knows.

Crazy world we live in where a plausible deniability allows a known issue to survive...being 'fixed' only with a huge redesign of the bike.

Now excuse me, I'm going to go out and read the warning label on my antifreeze bottle. I want to make sure I never drink it during a weak moment.

Could be. And perhaps even a design change along the way could have been tacit acknowledgement of a problem, thus opening them up to suits from previous tank slapper crashes...who knows.

Crazy world we live in where a plausible deniability allows a known issue to survive...being 'fixed' only with a huge redesign of the bike.

Now excuse me, I'm going to go out and read the warning label on my antifreeze bottle. I want to make sure I never drink it during a weak moment.

I always got a kick out of the bumper sticker..........."FIRST WE KILL ALL THE LAWYERS"................kinda says it all! :biglaugh:

danny

Hey, I don't know about that. There are too many uses for lawyers to just kill them.... Anchors, fire starter (all that fat in their heads burns great), crash test dummies, fertilizer, target practice, etc. I bet everyone here can come up with a great use for them... :hmmm:

you give me a hard time about my 100 octane thread and then start a high speed woble thread lol:looser:

YEEAAHH. mine "Wobbles" too. At least i don't get bored in the corners or "wherever else", i just tell myself it builds "Character " until i put a damper on the front, that will have to wait for now.

So has ANYBODY here fitted a steering damper on their Max? Has it helped?
I've asked 3 times now but have yet to get a response.. :ummm:

We met a guy with an '06 a couple of weeks ago who had a steering dampener. His had a wobble from the factory but got rid of the wobble with the dampener.

IMHO, a dampener shouldn't be needed.

Curious, has anyone adjusted their bearings using Sean Morley's method (checking the bounce off stops) and still had the wobble afterward?

My '99 had a de-cel wobble between 35 - 45 mph. This method completely cured that.

I agree with Mark, a damper shouldn't be needed.

danny

you give me a hard time about my 100 octane thread and then start a high speed woble thread lol:looser:
" LOL " MAN I WAS GETTING RIPPED , ON MY RACE FUEL VRS PUMP GAS THREAD ! SO I WAS SENDING YOU A SUTTLE HINT / WARNING ! I WOUND UP GETTING A P.O.BOX BECAUSE I THOUGHT SOMEONE WAS GOING TO MAIL ANTRAX TO MY HOUSE ! " LOL " :rofl_200:

Curious, has anyone adjusted their bearings using Sean Morley's method (checking the bounce off stops) and still had the wobble afterward?

My '99 had a de-cel wobble between 35 - 45 mph. This method completely cured that.

I agree with Mark, a damper shouldn't be needed.

danny
just for shits i but bike on center stand leaned on back of bike the front end would flop and bounce of the stops like someone fliped it over there it bounced and banged hard....i never had a wobble at high speeds or any speeds

just for shits i but bike on center stand leaned on back of bike the front end would flop and bounce of the stops like someone fliped it over there it bounced and banged hard....i never had a wobble at high speeds or any speeds

113-That's the same way mine was before the adjust. Slammed off the stops!

This whole front end thing is weird!! There are a few different fix's that appear to work, but what the hell is causing it in the first place? Front end geometry eff'd up, rake, trail, balance, resonance? WTF is doing it???

:ummm: :ummm: :ummm:

MAN I WOULD BE PISSED IF I WAS COP RUNNING & GOT HEAD-SHAKE & HAD TO SLOW DOWN , AND THEN GOT CAUGHT ! ( YOUR CAUGHT IF THEY GET YOUR PLATE # ) ! I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SUE YAMAHA FOR ALL OF MY LEGAL EXPENCES ! :rofl_200:

I adjusted my headrace bearing according to instructions (not bouncing off bar ends anymore) and I still have a REALLY bad wobble at high speed. I still have the rubber washer in, but it seems to be in the wrong place (above both nuts). I am going to try the furbur fix to see if it helps.

It's not just the head bearing - something else is doing it. Maybe tires, maybe suspension, maybe saddlebags / windshield...

It seems to have got a little better in a straight line, but as soon as I bank over or go over a bump (changing lanes) it starts wobbling again, so I can't even check really high speed cos I don't really wanna die yet.

WTF :ummm::damn angry::bang head:

So has ANYBODY here fitted a steering damper on their Max? Has it helped?
I've asked 3 times now but have yet to get a response.. :ummm:

I've got a shindy on mine and in my opinion it helps a "little"

If you've got bad wobble it will not cure it since it's due to other issues.....

I installed

Fork brace
Frame braces
Solid motor mounts
Rear shocks
Front springs

all in one day so can't attest to excatly which one or more likely a combo of all but it cured 80% of my problems remaining even after getting the neck bearing right.

I later went to 18" radials and I say that brought me up to 90% full cure.

And recently braced the swingarm which made an additional big difference, there is now no speed that the bike will run that scares me due to handling as long as the road is decent,

Blow over a potholed freeway at 135 tho' and it still acts up but not "ass puckering" acting up...

Mine now doesn't wobble or weave at all regardless of what the hell I'm doing with it up to 145 unless I fail to keep the steering head bearings "tuned" properly, which on my bike has been a learning process of what works, on mine at least.

I think the bike has the problems it does because it uses 80's technology and methods developed for bikes weighing a 100 lbs less and having 30-40 less horsepower to carry a 630 lbs load with 120 hp.....

The frame, swingarm, and forks are all substandard for what they are trying to do with them......

There is a reason they build sportbikes the way the do; out of massive, rigid, aluminum frames and swingarms with stiffer forks....

Ducati is the only sportbike I know of still using a steel tube frame, although their trellis design brings it to a new art......

There is no one single problem with the bike that CAN be corrected, there are too many areas of design fault that contribute to the problem..It just is what it is.....

Which is not to say they all handle badly, I've got plenty of friends with bone stockers that'll run 135-140 all day long with no wobble/weave.....

head shake is in peoples mind there is no problem...hope you been feeling well cop

head shake is in peoples mind there is no problem...

Well I challenge you to take my max above 125mph and try to bank it over, even very slightly. If you survive you can tell me again how it was 'in your mind'..

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Latest posts

Back