How do you ship a Motor??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobody

Reaction score
I need to ship a Motor that I have sold. I have never done this before and would like some feedback/ideas on the best way to handle this.

I have access to wood palets and a loading dock at work, so the I would like to strap it to a palet and have it lifted into a truck for delivery.

The Motor is not real flat on the bottom, the oil pan sticks out and doesn;t give a real good mounting surface. Should I nail in some 2x4's around the oil pan and rest the motor on them??

I'd crate it but a pallet like you say will work also. I would make sure you wrap it VERY well with bubble wrap and then shrink wrap it and then make sure it's held down VERY secure to the pallet.

Chris

I need to ship a Motor that I have sold. I have never done this before and would like some feedback/ideas on the best way to handle this.

I have access to wood palets and a loading dock at work, so the I would like to strap it to a palet and have it lifted into a truck for delivery.

The Motor is not real flat on the bottom, the oil pan sticks out and doesn;t give a real good mounting surface. Should I nail in some 2x4's around the oil pan and rest the motor on them??

This was the way I had planned on shipping one....

Build a base pallett, shim it with 2" X 4"'s or whatever, to level the motor. Then frame the motor completely with 2" X 2"'s, space the framing so you can lag bolt through the motor mounts to keep the motor from shifting, and enclose it with 1/4" plywood. Use screws, not nails.

I'd take the pallet and remove all of the top "slats" and replace with "3/4 plywood as the base to start mounting the engine on. I'd still bubble wrap it even if you enclosed it in a plywood and framework box.
Weight of the crate should be the min to protect as weight = shipping $$$'s.

OK gentleman I think I get the idea. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back