how low can you go

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nd4topspd

Reaction score
So I have my vmax all apart and looking at my rear tire and wondering if it's time to replace? I have 2 seasons on this tire. Think I should finish out this year?

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    43.5 KB
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    33.8 KB
Hell NO!!!!! Change your tires often. I know. Im down right now with a broken ankle cause I ran my front to long and to hard. :bang head:

Its my new rule of thumb to change my tires at half tred.
I dont how you ride, but Ive gone down 3, yes THREE times due to worn out tires. CHANGE THAT SHIT.

I know you say MONEY, well the money gets alot tighter when your fucked up at home and not working cause you pinched a little on rubber.
Spend money on Rubber. Ive got three crashes and two kids cause I didnt spend enough on Rubber. haha

ya your probably right. Better safe than sorry I suppose. Hey I love your cover on the bike That's awesome!!! Oh and as for the way I ride... My name is nd4topspd lol

ya your probably right. Better safe than sorry I suppose. Hey I love your cover on the bike That's awesome!!! Oh and as for the way I ride... My name is nd4topspd lol

Thanks. Its actually my Dads thing. First I remember of it was on the older bike and it was a red sticker on a yellow Vmax. circa-'96. Since he has passed I tattooed it on my chest.

If you are asking yourself if it's time to change tires.......IT'S TIME

i was on a group ride once and a guy to my right had a bald front tire. around a slow turn, 15 mph tops... his front tire slipped and he started to go down but it caught at the last second and the bike picked back up. he rode "straight" home

Definitely change tires - that one is bold in the middle! Good burnout will take care of it :)

Then get yourself a pair of Shinko T230 Tourmaster tires - they're cheap and sticky, and oyu can go stock sizes 110/90-18 and 150/90-15, or fatten it up a bit and go 120/80-18 and 170/80-15.

I have to put a vote in for the Metzeler ME 880 tires.They cost a bit more than the Shinko's, but then really seem to hold up nice.

Just think if you got caught in rain how would that rear tire do at moving the water out to the edges?

NOT WORTH A SHIT!

What you have there is nearly a slick.

While you're at it go up a bit to the 170.

Metzeler is my tire of choice but many here like the Shinko's. IMO the tread on the Shinko is old school... Maybe a good tire and if you don't care then go for it.

Yea the Metzeler ME880, while a bit more expensive, seems to last a lot longer. I don't think it's as sticky as the Shinko though? My main gripe with the ME880 is its speed rating - only a 'H' which is up to 130 mph, and of course Max can go faster than that.

The Shinko T230 is V-rated, so good for up to 149 mph, and way cheaper.

I do like the ME880 thread pattern better than the Shinko, cosmetically.

That speed rating is 130 for one hour! It will take burst well above that speed. In fact - I took one on the dyno over 200mph!! Multiple pulls even. Tire was still fine afterwards. It did grow a ton though.

I've ridden on balder in rain and it's not fun (and dangerous). Rode back from Sturgis in 2002 and had rain from Goodland to Wichita. The other guys were running 100+mph about the whole way back and I had bald FRONT AND REAR tires. I was all over the lane keeping up with them. Never before was that tired from the sheer effort to keep it upright.

Sean

I do like the ME880 thread pattern better than the Shinko, cosmetically.

agreed, but not for double the $$

ok so I can pu the 170/80-15 on my stock rim with no clearance issues??

shinko for sure, metz yes, but might have to do the washer swap.

The other guys were running 100+mph about the whole way back and I had bald FRONT AND REAR tires. I was all over the lane keeping up with them. Never before was that tired from the sheer effort to keep it upright.

Sean

how many miles was it?

Latest posts

Back