i " DIAL INDICATORS " ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
i I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED A GOOD " DIAL INDICATOR " SET-UP , I MAY OF ONLY NEEDED ONE ONCE IN A WHILE SO I WOULD JUST BORROW ONE , BUT " A " I HATE BORROWING THINGS , " B " AT MY NEW JOB I WILL BE SETTING UP RING & PINIONS AND DEGREEING CAMS AND DOING ENGINES , SO I NO THERE ARE SOME MACHINISTS ON THIS FORUM , SO MY QUESTION IS ; WHAT ARE THE MOST ACCURATE " DIAL INDICATORS " AND ARE ANALOG PREFERABLE OR DIGITAL ? ... AND DOES SOMEONE SELL A COMPLETE SET OR DO YOU HAVE TO BUY ALL OF THE ADAPTERS AND ACCESSORIES SEPARATE ? . WHICH ONES ARE THE BEST ? .:confused2:

x2 what Danny said. I use a Starrett dial caliper almost daily at work. Great tools. I prefer the dial type.

Can't comment on brand, but +1 on the dial, not digital.
Makes it easy to accurately put a piston on TDC for dialing in cams.

Its easier for your eyes to notice the needle moving rather than checking the digits changing....

As noted, Starrett makes great precision tools. Interapid indicators are excellent as well.

I'd go with Starett too along with the analog dial for your indicator setup, the only thing I have that are digital are my 6" calipers.......................Tom.

+1 on the Starrett indicator. I teach welding and machining at the high school and the Starrett tools are the only ones I WON'T let the kids ( monkeys ) use.

Lew

Tim, are you looking for a certain depth of travel, like 1"?
i I'M SURE I WILL BUY A COUPLE OF THEM WITH DIFFERENT RANGES , ARE THE MAGNETIC HOLD-DOWNS BETTER OR THE CLAMPS , AND ARE THERE BETTER TYPES OF HOLDERS THEN OTHERS ? . :confused2:

Usually you just change the pointers Timmy cause normally you're just checking run-out which is usually only a few mills. One gauge should handle what you will be needing it for.
Unless you're going into tenths, I would guess .001" is about as tight as you will need.

Like Danny stated, the range of travel needed will depend on what you are checking. I would get both the magnetic base and clamps. Sometimes you will need one or the other, and its nice to have both available. I have all of my indicators and mounts from my toolmaker days, and they come in handy when working on bikes and cars....that's why I never sold them when I changed professions. Ebay can be a good source for used indicators and mounts, and I know our local flea market has a good selection for cheap!

Back