i " NO ETHANOL "

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not being a dick, I welcome an intelligent discussion....in 5 minutes I google-found around a dozen dyno charts on as many forums (for anything from civic tuners to jeeps to sportbikes) that say the same thing. The "regular vs premium", much like the "which oil is best" thread is hardly an exclusive to VMF.

For example on the Civic, it produced 128hp on regular and 122 on "premium". Same car, same temp, sequential pulls. Most of the ones I found put it anywhere between a 4-8% difference, and the biggest lost seemed to be in the middle on the rev range, with smaller losses up top.

Have I personally done this test? No. But others have and proven it again and again, not to mention it just makes sense that it would if you think about it.

The high octane burns slower at a "regular" compression than regular fuel would. The explosion is much slower, spreading out force on the piston over a longer period of time. Problem is, it takes too long. The exhaust valve opens before it's done, releasing the remaining energy.

Another result of that is that the motor doesn't burn as hot as it should. Again, a subtle change with no immediate or noticeable effects. But over the life of the engine, this will encourage additional carbon buildup. I have personally seen this in snowmobile motors. One of my friends was convinced that premium would make it faster and be "better" for the motor. After cleaning the exhaust valves for like the 5th time in 2 years, I convinced him to use regular instead. Now 2 years later, I pulled them and they're not half as bad as they were after a couple months on premium. Yes, this is much more of a problem in 2 strokes than 4, but the point stands.

In the real world such differences would be difficult if not impossible to detect.
But at the same time, why would you pay extra for less power?

Ethanol sucks, it shouldn't be in fuel, and it's a farce cooked up by special interest groups with absolutely no future. That said, it's not the disaster everyone makes it out to be. At 10%, it's just not that much of a difference.

1 gal of straight gas: 125k BTU of energy
1 gal of E10 blended: 120k BTU

Or around a 4% difference. Considering an internal combustion engine is only about 1/3 "efficient" (only ~30% of that energy is converted into motion, rest is wasted as heat), that's down to a bit more than 1%.

The stoich difference is bigger, but not much. Gas is 14.7:1 for an ideal burn. E10 is around 14.2:1, or around a 3.5% difference. I programmed an EFI control unit on the school's "clean snowmobile" for a variety of ethanol concentrations. In testing, no appreciable difference could be determined in real-world mileage between straight gas and e10, differences were so small as to be well within the margin of error. On E85, we noticed on average about a 25% loss in mileage, and on E100, it was around 30%.

Sorry to break it to you RaWarrior, but we have multiple regular gas stations here that sell no ethanol, pure gas for the same price as the competing gas station with 10% ethanol.

When we use the regular 87 pure gas in our Prius, dodge ram 1500, toyota Avalon, Honda shadow, or vmax, (93), we immediately get 10% more miles per gallon than when we fill up at a regular gas station. WE measure that on a day to day basis and you are more than welcome to come and experience it yourself.

And then we can go on a beautiful ride through the blue ridge mountains and we will be able to drive 10% farther than you get in NY with the crap that fish out to us at the pump using our tax money to fund.

The theory is sound but in real world situations it always comes out different, I can buy that it might make a difference on a fuel injected civic with only about 9:1 compression but even though our vmax's only have 10.5:1 I can't see it hurting performance, especially if you have a dyna with the advance up. I have no personal experience on bikes with this but I do have experience with carburated v8's in the same situations and with 110 vs 92 they always make more power with the 110 even on a 10:1 engine and especially if you advance the timing a few degrees. As far as regular gas vs ethenol goes, you already made the point because alcohol has less energy (btu's) than regular gas so to make the same HP you need to use more of it, the same reason if you swap to methenol you need to jet the carb up so much. Glad you understood I wasn't trying to get under your skin, I was just sharing my personal experiences from hot rodding from the last 15 years....

on the contrary, you'll lose hp. This gets brought up again and again and the simple fact is an engine makes the most possible power using the lowest octane fuel that doesn't detonate. Octane is a combustion retardant. It makes the gas less volatile.

The vaporized mix is at it's most potent the instant before it would detonate on it's own from pressure, or pre-ignition. Knock, ping, whatever you want to call it. More octane means more pressure is required to achieve that "most volatile" state. If your engine wasn't designed for it, the fuel being sparked will not be as potent as if you were running regular 87. Save enough money for a beer or two at the end of a day's ride, and get the most from the motor. Fill up with "regular" 87. All i use, motor's never knocked or pinged, and i can attest to that even holding it wot at 140+ for minutes at a time.

A "smoother" feel on high octane is likely due to the fact the engine isn't making as much power......

Don't expect the ethanol-free at marinas to last long though. We used to carry it, our supplier got it trucked down from canada, but i guess in ny laws were passed or something that banned that, so now we're pumping the same e10 bullshit as everywhere else. Carb jobs, tank replacements, and fuel line issues have probably doubled since then.
+1

Thank you Slobman for your wonderful contribution to this thread. We all definitely needed your +1.

O.K. Guys, discussion over. We don't need dyno charts or hard cold facts to make a statement anymore. Nope. Slob man has the answer. It's +1.

Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Careful Slobman, you might get carpel tunnel...

Thank you Slobman for your wonderful contribution to this thread. We all definitely needed your +1.

O.K. Guys, discussion over. We don't need dyno charts or hard cold facts to make a statement anymore. Nope. Slob man has the answer. It's +1.

Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Careful Slobman, you might get carpel tunnel...
Sorry,was to drunk to type.Drinking and typing dont mix.

i MAN ITS REALLY WEIRD , I CAN ACTUALLY SMELL THE RACE FUEL WHEN I'M LOOKING AT THESE PICTURES ! . PS. CHECK OUT THE ICE CREAM CONE IN MY HAND WHILE I'M INHALING RACE FUEL FUMES DOING A FLAMING , ONE-HANDED BURN-OUT ! "LOL""LOL""LOL'' . :confused2::ummm::confused2::ummm::confused2:

Attachments

• 100_0794.jpg
    100_0794.jpg
    56 KB
  • 100_0811.jpg
    100_0811.jpg
    73.5 KB
  • 100_0821.jpg
    100_0821.jpg
    127.1 KB
  • 100_0809.jpg
    100_0809.jpg
    43.1 KB
  • 100_0805.jpg
    100_0805.jpg
    74.5 KB
  • 100_0802.jpg
    100_0802.jpg
    61.2 KB
  • 100_0801.jpg
    100_0801.jpg
    66.5 KB
  • 100_0798.jpg
    100_0798.jpg
    65.9 KB
  • 100_0795.jpg
    100_0795.jpg
    55 KB
  • 100_0790.jpg
    100_0790.jpg
    32.9 KB
  • 100_0813.jpg
    100_0813.jpg
    50.6 KB
  • 100_0804.jpg
    100_0804.jpg
    57.4 KB
  • 100_0814.jpg
    100_0814.jpg
    59.9 KB
  • 100_0807.jpg
    100_0807.jpg
    67.4 KB
  • 100_0817.jpg
    100_0817.jpg
    48.2 KB
  • 100_0793.jpg
    100_0793.jpg
    49.7 KB
Last edited:
Linky No Worky COPRUNNER...:sad2:

THAT BEING SAID, NOW IT WORKS...:bang head:

i FINALLY GOING TO GET 30 GALLONS OF " ETHANOL FREE " FUEL TOMORROW AT A LOCAL MARINA ! ... MY MAX IS GOING TO LOVE IT ! . :punk:

CaptainKyle and I were just yesterday wondering where you've been hiding CR.:ummm:

Your Max will Love you for buying "Real Gas"....:rofl_200::clapping:

just got a drum of c111 and a 5 gal can of c12........ not for the bike but sled......well maybe some left over for the bike and car heheheh.

non oxygenated and leaded :punk::punk::punk:

i FINALLY GOING TO GET 30 GALLONS OF " ETHANOL FREE " FUEL TOMORROW AT A LOCAL MARINA ! ... MY MAX IS GOING TO LOVE IT ! . :punk:

We're fortunate.
Up here they quit with that crap decades ago. I don't think there is a e85 station in the state anymore.
I can understand why as in the interior, the north and in the villages. But I thought the southern part of the state especially the panhandle cause thier climate is similar to the pacific northwest. would still have e85 at the pumps.
back in the late 80's there used to be a gas station that had 100 low lead, avgas at the pump.
I read the other day that Alaska airlines is playing with running a % of biofuel in thier jets. I think the ratio is 60-jet fuel and 40 bio fuel, seems to be working on the plus side.

This summer on my trip to AK on my Ural I saw this at some Chevron stations in British Columbia: 94 octane with no ethanol. Dang lucky Canadians ... I'm gonna convert and become a Canuckian.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    32.4 KB
This summer on my trip to AK on my Ural I saw this at some Chevron stations in British Columbia: 94 octane with no ethanol. Dang lucky Canadians ... I'm gonna convert and become a Canuckian.

What does the 146.9 price per gallon convert to in USD :ummm:

Back