Idle 1400-1600 with no thumbscrew!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have to ask mark if he would mind doing that if I don't figure this out today...

Not sure how well it would work since I have stage 7 carbs. You would need my air box lid. But, at least you would figure out if your carbs are the cause of high idle.

If there's a vacuum leak the choke wouldn't work correctly. Same reason why not to give it throttle when applying choke.

Mark,

You think I should order up those carb boots? Like I mentioned previously the inside of a few of mine are pretty tore up in the narrow section inside the boot...

Does anyone know if this would make a difference?

Not sure how well it would work since I have stage 7 carbs. You would need my air box lid. But, at least you would figure out if your carbs are the cause of high idle.

I would send mine to you again...if I got yours and they ran good you may never get them back!:biglaugh:

Mark,

Is there anything inside the carbs that would cause this? Maybe something came loose? I don't mind ripping them out again and checking internals...

Let me know.

Thanks,
Abe

tell you what Abe - my carbs are off and in pieces right now. I know my bike ran fine when I took 'em off, so if you want to send me yours I'm happy to fit them to my '86 (it's all stock bar the K&N air filter) to check out how it runs. If fine you know you have another problem, if not I can help troubleshoot yours with Mark knowing it's definitely a carb issue.

One other idea I've just had - are u absolutely 100% you haven't swapped coils/plug wires by mistake? I remember reading about how the front ones are crossed.

tell you what Abe - my carbs are off and in pieces right now. I know my bike ran fine when I took 'em off, so if you want to send me yours I'm happy to fit them to my '86 (it's all stock bar the K&N air filter) to check out how it runs. If fine you know you have another problem, if not I can help troubleshoot yours with Mark knowing it's definitely a carb issue.

One other idea I've just had - are u absolutely 100% you haven't swapped coils/plug wires by mistake? I remember reading about how the front ones are crossed.

The coils were checked but never swapped...

Well folks I think Mark helped me find part of the problem...

My throttle does not rest on my thumbscrew plate....

When I push it down the idle goes down near 1000 and even below.

I am going to inspect the cables and surrounding area and try to figure this out...

Abe

Latest posts

Back