Ignition

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2005 VMAX has an issue, someone tried to steal it. They inserted something into the ignition and tried to break it, I guess. Anyway, the assembly needs to be replaced. Yamaha no longer makes IFK-82510-01-00, anyone have one laying around or know where to get one? P.s. I am in a semi remote part of Canada. Spokane, WA is nearest city.

Ron Ayres Yamaha in No. Carolina still shows it as available.

Main Switch Assy

1FK-82510-01-00

Retail Price: $209.99

Your Price: $183.48

A used one would be cheaper, of course. You could have it re-keyed to match your other locksets on the bike:
  • the faux gas tank cover
  • the cable lock
  • the under-seat gas cap
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1fk-82510-01-00/main-switch-assy

1722109962216.png

I have a related problem. Someone broke? the steering lock trying to steal it, in gone to hell Portland OR. The lock is still pushed in, and I haven't been able to "unlock" it with the key. It turns fine, it's just kinda of a pain to put a heavy duty master lock on front brake disc. Any thoughts on a solution and or parts needed? Thanks.

Not sure about the lock, is it the steering tube lock that's broken? And is the plunger locking the steering stem still holding the steering stem immobile?

You might need to drill-out the steering stem lock if it doesn't pop back-out.

1722194403480.png

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c14f8700209bc794303/steering

Steering Lock Assy

2A6-23408-00-00

Retail Price: $82.99

Your Price: $77.32

I think you can take-out the #29 and remove cover #28, and then #26 the lockset can be removed w/o any drilling.

Main Switch Assy

1FK-82510-01-00

A used one would be cheaper, of course. You could have it re-keyed to match your other locksets on the bike:
  • the cable lock
  • the under-seat gas cap

View attachment 94973
Thatsa badass lookin machine Boyeee

Main Switch Assy

1FK-82510-01-00

• the cable lock
  • the under-seat gas cap

View attachment 94973
I called Ron Ayres - they have none. I emailed Sean Morley, nothing back yet.

I am checking on partshotline dot ca.

I have a dealership writing up a write off quote.

Attachments

• IMG_6333.jpeg
    IMG_6333.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 0
They have them here:

https://www.cmsnl.com/search/?section=all&q=1FK-82510-01-00&tab=

They can supply most stuff, but they’re expensive.

Their support is superb. They colour matched a Bandit 1200 for me when no one else was able to.
Are you kidding me?

1722477326828.png

That's $568.62, I think that's not just excessive it's irrational. Why anyone would buy that at that price, is beyond me. I've bought entire VMax bikes for less than that!

You said you called Ron Ayres Yamaha, they ship from the Yamaha regional parts warehouses. They don't usually have things in stock at their store, the items are drop-shipped to you from the warehouse. I've ordered things from them, and had it be on back-order, and when the item hits the Yamaha warehouses, it's shipped to me. I bought my last VMax Gen. 1 gas tank from them like that, I believe it was nearly 3 months before it arrived. For the difference in price between CMS and Ron Ayres, I'd wait for it to be delivered by Ron Ayres Yamaha. What can you do with $343,02? Buy a new set of tires? That's the difference between CMS and Ron Ayres Yamaha.

I'm sure the guys who part out bikes will be able to sell you something for around $100, The usual pricing for decent used parts is half of retail. Sean Morley, CaptainKyle, PatMax, and others. Beware the scammers we have attracted lately, few messages posted (like 5 or less and recently joined)

Don't buy from CMS!

Last edited:
No - I'm not kidding you...and items can always be cheap when they are out of stock.

Not all their stuff is overpriced; I was just providing another source

You might look into Parts Unlimited or other such sources, and get a generic Yamaha ignition lock cylinder, and place it in your bracket.

Something like this: https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/ign...MI57yKoZTUhwMVDm1_AB0GpgNrEAQYBCABEgLuy_D_BwE

1722527993172.png

1722528029011.png

Can you handle the price of 1/20th of the CMS offering? The Emgo item is <$25! I'm not saying this will work on a VMax, (their website says it doesn't) but you could go through the switches/locks to find one which is compatible.

I think I'm sitting on a gold mine, I have a NOS switch set for a KZ1000 which includes the ignition, helmet and steering head lock, OEM.

Last edited:
Not sure about the lock, is it the steering tube lock that's broken? And is the plunger locking the steering stem still holding the steering stem immobile?

You might need to drill-out the steering stem lock if it doesn't pop back-out.

View attachment 94993

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c14f8700209bc794303/steering

Steering Lock Assy

2A6-23408-00-00

Retail Price: $82.99

Your Price: $77.32

I think you can take-out the #29 and remove cover #28, and then #26 the lockset can be removed w/o any drilling.
I can swivel the plate(28) out of the way, I can't see anything holding the lock(26) in place.i think 26 is broken, but other than some needle nose pliers and pulling it out and that's a maybe at best. Is part 27 holding it in? And (29) looks like a rivet, doesn't have any Phillips or ? on it.

I can swivel the plate(28) out of the way, I can't see anything holding the lock(26) in place.i think 26 is broken, but other than some needle nose pliers and pulling it out and that's a maybe at best. Is part 27 holding it in? And (29) looks like a rivet, doesn't have any Phillips or ? on it.
I didn't read the first part. Pretty big drill bit for the lock mechanism. What's holding it in?

I didn't read the first part. Pretty big drill bit for the lock mechanism. What's holding it in?
One more. No steering is not immobile. Been riding it. Wouldn't like it if it locked up all of a sudden. I think I could figure something out, but that first second or two would be a bit stressful !!😄

Pretty-sure that #29 may need to be removed to be able to have the steering lock cyl removed once the swiveling cover is out of the way.

I can drill 29 out. Not sure how I install it back in. Well, it's better doing that then nothing, I'll let people know how it went. Not sure how they broke it in the first place. They Just pulled on the handlebar hard, back and forth?? No idea.

I was trying to clean my ignition switch and the bottom part dropped out and went flying. May have been broken before - but definitely broken now - ha ha!

Anyone know where I can get a new one of these pieces? Or did anyone for sure find a replacement ignition that's not the $209?

Attachments

• BrokenIgnitionComponent.jpeg
    BrokenIgnitionComponent.jpeg
    787.9 KB · Views: 0
Back