Intercom?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
I would like to buy an intercom system so that I can communicate with my wife on her own bike during trips. I have been looking at different systems but have quickly become confused over the whole thing, so I figure someone here will be able to help me out. What do I need if I want to talk to my wife on another bike but she does not have a cell phone and only I do...or is that not possible. Thanks.

I just sold some Nolan systems N.I.B. & they are good product. Scala Systems are another quality unit. They can be a bit pricey but the systems today are far-better than they were just a short time ago.

When I researched this same subject several years ago I saw a lot of bad reviews on the chatterbox, but don't have any personal experince with it.

Ended up buying

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=29

It allows you to

Dump an mp3 signal into yopur headset, amplifying it as well. (main reason I bought it, can't hear normal ear buds even with a full face helmet)

Tie in your radar detector audio, as well as GPS Audio

Answer or make calls via cell phone

Tie yours and a passengers head set together so your wife can bug the shit out of you even on a nice ride when nornally you you wouldn't be able to hear her tell you she has to piss or to slow down or quit pulling wheelies:rofl_200:

And in your case, tie in a CB or FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio, FRS/GMRS is more commonly known as a walkie talkie, good for about up to a couple miles, but best at 1/2 to 1 mile using a good walkie talkie. I use the same two ways on the deer lease and can get reception for 4-5 miles when on the more powerful GMRS; but that's out of 20 foot tall deer blind.

The Integratr does NOT have any two way capabilty by itself and requires the use of a separate phone or walkie talkie for that function.

It's big enough that it really needs a tank bag to carry it in along with the phone and or walkie talkie. About the size of 3 packs of Cigs.

The unit has been very dependable and I have had no problems with it...

I modified the battery case so I could plug it directly into the bike

Quality helmet speakers and boom mike are easy to install if you have an Exacto knife and aren't scared of cutting into a good helmet..... And J&M's voice activated mike comes in loud and clear with little or no road noise when used inside a full face helmet....and can be pushed out of the way when not in use, I don't even notice mine is there....

My coworker has the scala system so she and her husband can chat while riding, which she says works very well. She also uses the phone, voice command to call and answer calls which she says the person she is talking to cannot tell she is riding.
VMOA VP Trevor Fisher uses a scala rider and reports good phone reception as well.

If i'm riding my max. the last thing i need is to talk on the phone.
or chat.
vmax time is me time.

+1, Vmax=me me and me time. I wanna hear the rumble of my kerker and...:punk:

I lean that way too, I won't break out my mp3 unless it's gonna be a many hours ride.
And having my wife be able to continously talk to me while on the back of the bike was not real wonderful....love her to Death but she could talk ears off a mule......

I use the interphone, batteries last 4-5 hours before recharging.
The only thing im not crazy about is, i have a full face helmet and my wife does not. Sometimes hard to hear with the wind blowing on her microphone. If you both have full face helmets, then it would be much better

FYI, if you really want to enjoy it, don't put batteries in hers.

Perfect statement. We can talk at the next stop, I don't want her yammering in my ear about which way to go, how fast not to go or any other thing she might think I need to do at the time!!

Another great thing about her riding her own bike now.

First I need to get my wife a second bike ( or turn the old FZR into "Her" bike. After that I would really like to get intercoms for us.

Thanks for all the replies. As long as whatever unit I buy has an off switch, I wont worry too much about my wife yammering on in my ear:)

The wife and I ride with open face helmets most of the time. Last fall, at Bikes, Blues & BBQ in Fayetteville AR, I bought a set of bluetooth enabled SENA's - my first attempt at communications between bikes.

CAUTION: SENA UNITS AREN'T WORTH A PLUG NICKEL!!!!

The flexible microphones don't even begin to stay where they belong - even while riding behind a Memphis fats windshield. They also pick up much static from the bike's electronics, and as an added bonus, the wind noise making it through the windsocks will drive a person absolutely mad.

On the other hand, I've seen very good reviews on the Q2 & newer equipment from Scala.

I bought the Cardo Scala Rider Teamset a couple years ago and love them. They were the lowest paired model in their line at the time but I haven't had any complaints. They attached firmly to the helmet, the wires are long enough to route them around the helmet under the padding. The batteries have lasted me over 8 hours at a time. Nothing bad to say really. Granted, my wife doesn't talk much, except to say she needs to pee! Oh, and I got it new on eBay for $150.

Back