Intermittent starting issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob6103

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've got an '06 vmax with an intermittent no crank no start issue. Sometimes I'll go to start the bike, all the lights will come on but you can't hear the vboost actuator cycle or the fuel pump prime when the issue is happening. I'll click the start button, the headlight will go out but nothing happens. I can usually cycle the key and the killswitch a few times, and once I hear the fuel pump and vboost actuator go I know it'll start. Today, I took off the air scoop and faux gas tank cover to get underneath the ignition switch to check on the connections down there. Everything looked okay, but I cleaned up the contacts and put a small amount of electrical grease in there. But still the problem persists. Any thoughts?

Grounds, sir! Check them, the main one is by the oil filler cap. Another one is on the right side of the faux gas tank cover, on the sheetmetal bracket holding the tank cover fastener. The fuel pump is beneath the bracket.

Shiny bare metal and tight fastener, please.

Some WD-40 or CRC 5-56 on the sidestand switch, so the shaft moves freely and doesn't hang-up, sticking.

Attachments

• VMax wiring 1990-2003.pdf
    538 KB
Grounds, sir! Check them, the main one is by the oil filler cap. Another one is on the right side of the faux gas tank cover, on the sheetmetal bracket holding the tank cover fastener. The fuel pump is beneath the bracket.
Thank you. I’ll be checking that tomorrow in the morning. I’ll report back

Back