Lemon??? Vmax? HELP!!!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbellybill

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone can help but does anyone know anything about the New York state lemon law? This is what has been happening with my bike. I have a 2007 Vmax that I bought in PA with only 4 miles on her, it was fresh out of the crate. After about 1900 miles on her I noticed some coolant on one of the head gaskets. I took her in and I was told that my bike has a recall on the head gaskets. Turns out the recall is because the head bolts were not torqued enough. The bike was in the shop for 3 weeks. They replaced the leaky head gasket and re-torqued the other. After about 100 miles since it was worked on I was getting lots and lots of white smoke on startup, but no external leaks. My mechanic informed me that the gasket that they only re-torqued must now be leaking internally. I drooped the bike off FIVE weeks ago as of this Wednesday . My last phone call to the shop confirmed my fears, they had to remove the engine and were awaiting parts. So my question is does this fall under a lemon? They have had the bike for 3 weeks for the first try, now it's at 5 weeks!!! HELP!!! I have lost half of the season to a recall. Not to mention that I save about $40 a week in gas every time I ride my bike. I wanted a Vmax in the worst way and when I find one new this is my outcome. I'm starting to miss my old 600 Katana for God sake. I regret this purchase. Too bad Yamaha doesn't read these forums. I'm going to call a lemon law lawyer today and call the shop AGAIN to see what my options are.

I'm not sure but you can ask your insurance agent and/or county attorney. Sorry to hear about this Bill. Please keep us in the loop.

Doesn't the lemon law apply only when you have returned to the shop 3 times for the same problem?

Maybe i am wrong

really sorry to hear about your trouble, i hope they can get it fixed and you can enjoy what is left of the season

Doesn't the lemon law apply only when you have returned to the shop 3 times for the same problem?

Maybe i am wrong

really sorry to hear about your trouble, i hope they can get it fixed and you can enjoy what is left of the season

That's what I'd heard as well...

I can't stand stealers... :bang head:

Good luck!

3 weeks and all they did is torque the bolts? :damn angry:

Bill, sorry to hear about this. The gremlins in my '07 were electrical, and at least the dealer I had was competent.

Please keep us in the loop with what's happening.

Indeed. Probably took the shop guys two weeks to figure out it was indeed made by Yamaha. Actually, here at my local dealer, getting service in the summer can be a pain in the neck because of the delays resulting from the glut of jet skis in for service during the warm months.

ok.. looks like not a lemon. Only thing the lawyer could get me is compensation for time lost and if so they get 1/3. Well all said and done I do like my dealer even though they put a few scratches on my scoops (scrapped the plastic coating from taking air box cover on and off.) The grease monkey seemed like a nerdy little grease mech. I called them and they said that she will be ready today. Delay was due to parts not in stock AFTER they got it apart. Well anyway, the proof is in the pudding. I would like to contact Yamaha and explain all of this and maybe, just maybe they will toss me a free Yamaha hat or something for my trouble. Really I really think they owe me something for missing half the damn season. Anyone got any good yamaha email addresses? My fingers are in a rage and need to vent.

Not to mention all my Harley co-workers are giving me 7 weeks of S**T over this, even though we know how all that could be settled.

I hear ya! Due to a BAD Vmax parts vendor (see bad vendors thread) I lost about 2 months of riding last year and then other issues kept me out another 2 so I lost all my riding last year. I memory serves I put 600 miles on the Max last year!:damn angry:

Of course I have only put that on this year as well but my back surgery had something to do with that me thinks...

That's what I'd heard as well...

I can't stand stealers... :bang head:

Good luck!

In MI if your bike is in the shop for 30 or more days during the Factory warranty period or 1 year from delivery date (whichever comes first), or you have had it in the shop 4 times in two years since the original time you took it in for the defect, you can request a full refund or exchange for comparable model that is currently in production.

That sucks though that 8 weeks of your manufacturer warranty are gone.

ok.. looks like not a lemon. Only thing the lawyer could get me is compensation for time lost and if so they get 1/3. Well all said and done I do like my dealer even though they put a few scratches on my scoops (scrapped the plastic coating from taking air box cover on and off.) The grease monkey seemed like a nerdy little grease mech. I called them and they said that she will be ready today. Delay was due to parts not in stock AFTER they got it apart. Well anyway, the proof is in the pudding. I would like to contact Yamaha and explain all of this and maybe, just maybe they will toss me a free Yamaha hat or something for my trouble. Really I really think they owe me something for missing half the damn season. Anyone got any good yamaha email addresses? My fingers are in a rage and need to vent.

A HAT???
Damn dude... If I took my bike to a Dealer in new condition and then picked it up and it had scratches on the scoops. I would be getting new scoops out of that deal.
ESPECIALLY if it was a brand new Bike!
They may suck at fixing it, but scratching it is just plain NEGLECT!

I agree new scoops are a must insist on it especially after waiting that amount of time for parts

explain it to the local area sales manager

if the dealer made the mistake they should fix it no questions asked if not contact yamaha and become a thorn in the side

you will get your scoops and a new hat

I hope you have better luck with it now so you can enjoy it. Do not waste your time with yamaha I filled out there customer service survey and included some of the crap I have gone through with my local dealer and do you think I got any response from them? hell NO. It actualy is one of the things holding me back from ordering a new V-Max

I bought my first Japanese bike in 1966. It was a new Yamaha 250 Big Bear Scrambler. I have been a fan of Yamaha ever since, having owned 12 Yamahas out of the 30 bikes I have owned.

That said, Yamaha has the worst dealers and customer service of all the manufacturers I have dealt with. Thank God I haven't had a lot of problems. The only good Yamaha dealer I ever met (he was also was a great mechanic) was Willie Wiese who owned Big D Yamaha till he sold out and retired in about 1984.

All of my friends complain about Yamaha dealers and service all the time. If they didn't make such great bikes, I would never consider owning one.

I agree new scoops are a must insist on it especially after waiting that amount of time for parts

explain it to the local area sales manager

if the dealer made the mistake they should fix it no questions asked if not contact yamaha and become a thorn in the side

you will get your scoops and a new hat
How would I find the local area sales manager?

Never called back so bike isn't ready today. Damn..... Do I have a sign on my back that says kick here?

sounds like a lemon to me did you call the state att general and ask about the lemon law in mass its 21 day or three times for same problem what ever comes first....get the facts when there n your favor fill the lemon law and tell them to keep the bike there pulling your chain.........hope it runs good when you get it out...goodluck

Latest posts

Back