Longest lasting rear tire for gen 2?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha... None! It varies on how long you make a tank of fuel last. It's all how YOU ride. They may last 1500 ripping up the streets, or highway cruises or daily commuter may last 5000.

Sorry I could'nt resist, my story is how about "short" the tire might last. My buddy and I ordered a Gen 2 as soon as they were announced. He lived in Anchorage and I live in Minneapolis so I had custody and he rode it a few times a year when he visited his parents. Shortly after we picked it up, we took it behind the warehouse where I worked and we got the rear to last about 5 or 6 X 50 ft. Then we nursed it home and bought a new tire. There wasn't much room so we were really riding the front brake. The next day when I reported to work the IT guys busted us for doing that, they had recently installed security cameras all over that I didn't know about. The tire is hanging in my shop ! If you tried really hard you might get the 300 ft down to 20 but it's kind of hard to hold the beast back with just the front brake !

Got the Shinko 011's installed and they feel great! Haven't tested how they come off the line yet...but it's coming! :D

Are there any updates on what is "best" for a little bit of wet road conditions? I don't ride aggressive, I just want to feel more confident in the rain than with the stock battle-ax that have 3k miles on them and the 1st owner did burn outs on them.

Are there any updates on what is "best" for a little bit of wet road conditions? I don't ride aggressive, I just want to feel more confident in the rain than with the stock battle-ax that have 3k miles on them and the 1st owner did burn outs on them.
Well, I have ridden on Battleax's, Shinkos, Dunlops, and Metzlers.

My OPINION based on my experience......Metzlers hold well. Con, they are expensive. Dunlops...very sticky tire. Fast wearing tire though. Battle Ax, best tire for the weight of the bike. I have not noticed any adverse affects while riding in the rain. Shinkos for me were the absolute worst. Poor quality built tire didnt even last 2000 miles so I cannot even tell you how they perform in the rain. I have not used the Avons yet so I cannot comment on those.

The Battlax is the standard OEM from which to compare the others: went through 3 of them in 10,000 miles
Dunlop Elite 3 was a great tire for mileage but could easily be spun on dry hot pavement of South Florida. No longer available.
Current tire is the AVON Cobra Chrome 200/55R18 and so far I like it. More grip than the Dunlop, taller than the Battlax, not tested in the wet yet.
Never owned a Metzler ME880 or 888 so I cant comment.
Since the first Bridgestone front worn out I have been using Michelin Road 3, great tire wet or dry. Thats all I will use going forward. If Mighelin made a rear I would run that too.

Thank you, do you have any concerns about running a Michelin Road 6 in the front, and then a Metlzer rear? How do you like the Taller Dunlop, I imagine it corrects speedometer some since I hear that the OEM size reads slow.

I have run Michelin tires on every car truck and motorcycle I have ever owned. The road 3 is now the 6 because of updated treads and compounds but I have never subscribed to the idea you must run the same brand front and rear on anything as long as they are within reasonably similar construction and design. Michelin are quality tires and the 6 would make a great tire if you ever get caught in the rain. The AVON is the taller tire not the Dunlop. The AVON is a 55 series sidewall instead of 50 for the stock tire. That equates to 10mm total dia, or 5mm radius from axle. You will never notice the difference of 5mm higher ride height. I can't help you with the Metzler question as I have never owned one, but I see no reason to be concerned. This is just one mans opinion but I say go for it. BTW, the AVON is not as stiff as the Dunlop, because the Dunlop was targeted for the Harley riders with heavier bikes and less torque/hp. I like the ride from the AVON, and it dips into a turn effortlessly.

Now for me, the Metzler front wore out in about 7000 miles. The rear outlasted the front. The front Metzler is also a dual compound tire. So my tire wore in a "W" pattern. As did the Dunlop. I cannot speak to the pattern wear of a Shinko as I tried 2 front tires back to back that were bad. For my Bridgestone, I am at about 5500 miles on mine. The front is still looking like a motorcycle tire while the rear is starting to exhibit signs of the flattening out.

As for Michelins....I have not found a Michelin in a Gen 2 stock size. So I cannot give you my opinion on those.

Now, for my bike, I have been battling a rapidly wearing front tire concern since 2020. I dont race my bike, I dont smoke show my bike. I do ride it fast, I do take turns fast. Dunlops and Metzlers wore the front tire out much faster than the rear. The Bridgestones I am on right now are the first set of tires evenly wearing. This is my opinion, these are my findings after numerous sets of tires and 56,000 miles of testing in the harsh American Southwest.

That's very helpful. I've always run Michelin Roads 4 and 5 on my GSXR. It's a shame they don't make those in our rear size. They have our fronts, so I think it makes sense then to do what you are saying, run the road 6 in the front and maybe I'll get the Metzler's for the rear. I like the idea of correcting the speedo more by getting a taller tire. Can I see how your's looks in the rear from the size too, it will probably look better/beefier.

1726754805696.pngPerhaps this combination might help with your wet road condition confidence?

Here you go. I dare anyone to be able to spot the difference of the 50 vs 55 without two bikes side by side.

Attachments

• Rear #1.jpg
    Rear #1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Rear #2.jpg
    Rear #2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
BTW, I got my AVON from Summit Racing. Local dealer wanted $50 more, and to wait two weeks to see if distributor received the tire, then another week or ten days shipping to dealer. Summit had it one on my doorstep $50 bucks less and in just under 48 hours after I hit enter to purchase, and free shipping.

Latest posts

Back