Looking for a V Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a V-Max in the next few weeks. I have seen alot of good deals on older ones and was wondering if someone could guide me to what changes have been made over the years on these bikes. I know 07 was the last year on the old vmax but was there anything major that changed on these bikes since the mid 80's? I'm assuming fuel injection and tune...

Are there any known years, models to avoid? In general are there any weak spots to the bike?

Also if anyone knows of any good deals in the midwest please lead me there...

Nice to meet everyone and look forward to joining the team.

Welcome! I would look for one that's stock and '96 or later. Spin on oil filter, stronger charging, ignition, forks and brakes than on earlier models.

Check here for detailed changes since '85.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/vmaxhistory2.htm

Only major changes after '96 were in '99 where the shift mechanism was beefed up and in '03 the oil pick-up assembly was "fixed" to cure the problem when an o-ring popped out.

Welcome! I would look for one that's stock and '96 or later. Spin on oil filter, stronger charging, ignition, forks and brakes than on earlier models.

Check here for detailed changes since '85. Only major changes after '96 were in '99 where the shift mechanism was beefed up and in '03 the oil pick-up assembly was "fixed" to cure the problem when an o-ring popped out.

I don't think your link worked...

what do you guys think of this deal on a 99?

the blue book is much lower but I was wondering what to expect on these older ones...

I agree with Maleko...
Get an 03 or newer and you will have all the factory upgrades that were done by Yamaha. There are a bunch of used MAxs out there so keep scouring the internet and dealers and bike mags for them.
You might want to even consider getting one that already has a custom seat and pipes because that along with fork springs are the biggest basic mods everyone does that cost the most.
And FYI Only the new 09 VMax is fuel injected... All others are 4 carbs with VBOOST unless the Max has been modified to FI by the PO.

ON the VMOA website someone just posted a 2005 mint condition for a good price. I'd snatch it up if I had the cash.

http://www.vmoa.net/xoops/modules/catads/adsitem.php?ads_id=979

Course... MAKE SURE you clean the armorall off the tires before riding it!!!

The Vmax motorcycle is 1200 cc for all years...no other engine options available. They all have carbs as well...no EFI unless aftermarket.

The Vmax motorcycle is 1200 cc for all years...no other engine options available. They all have carbs as well...no EFI unless aftermarket.

How often do these carbs need adjustment? Is it a DIY job? How often are the valves adjusted?

I check float levels once/twice per year. I adjust mixture screws and sync every three months. Valve adjustments are every 26,500 miles.

Hey just to say - I got an '86 and love it. I know it hasn't got many of the later upgrades, but it still rocks and hauls ass, even if the handling's a bit wobbly at high speed, but you'll prolly find that out for yourself if you get round to buy a Max and ride it fast ;-)

Also, check out the Buy and Sell section here - there are a few for sale and one may just be near you!

I check float levels once/twice per year. I adjust mixture screws and sync every three months. Valve adjustments are every 26,500 miles.
I know what I am going to get you for Christmas now..

I am going to make a peg board with all different kinds of hardware along with heli coils set in the peg boards.
This way when you get bored you can just goto Yankees Peg Board and just start tweaking... :rofl_200:

I adust my carbs and valves when I replace the engine every yr. unless I go goofing with it in the dark at the dragstrip..:bang head:

Well, that's too nice of gift. I'll settle for one of your gauge cluster setups.

Ah, heck no. Welcome. Hope you get yourself a Max and stick around. We just have fun ribbing each other a bit.

Except for this guy, Dannymax. He's a genuine butthead. :damn angry:

Hey Kila, welcome to the site! :clapping:

Don't cha' believe a word of this stuff! There are several reasons (a couple are actually good ones) for Jayhawks restless discontent. But, we can cover that later. :confused2:

Good luck finding a V Max. The ones with 2 round tires work the best!! :rofl_200:LOL

Latest posts

Back