Looks like my riding season is over

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weakening the OEM covers is what we figured was our problem. We've got a considerably stronger design that we use now but have a design to repair the broken ones too. You'll have a damaged stator (may or may not be able to be repaired) and same with the pickup (it may or may not have been damaged).

There won't be many debris parts in there but the pan may need to be taken off to clean any parts out if you can't find them all.

It's not hard to get that cover off and i could always send a standard cover out to get you by until then!

Sean

I appreciate the offer to send me a standard cover, but it wont be long till the weather turns and i'm just going to take it to my shed for the winter and start taking it apart. i will send it out to you when i get it off, hopefully i didnt damage the pickup coils and stator...

that clear cover sure is cool looking to look at :bigeyes:, hypnotic when the bike is running

Any electrical engineers on here? I want to be able to tap into the kinetic energy and field generated to light up a set of lights without running any wiring. Surely there is a way to use the magnetic field generated when the engine is running to power a set of LED's? They would get brighter the higher the engine revved too!

Sean

Any electrical engineers on here? I want to be able to tap into the kinetic energy and field generated to light up a set of lights without running any wiring. Surely there is a way to use the magnetic field generated when the engine is running to power a set of LED's? They would get brighter the higher the engine revved too!

Sean
Interesting..all you need is a simple coil. About 10 wraps of copper wire around the core and it should work. What kind of lights are you talikng about?

Sean

I received a bs back in '96, but as soon as i was hired to use it, i found out that i sucked at being a double e, so i stopped practicing circuit design in favor of cca applications as a ce and soon realized that that was boring, and found solice in programming the darn things. anyways, 'nuf of that. sean, i think what you are looking for might be trying to use a Hall Effect Sensor. i can't imagine it being very difficult to harness the hall voltage to light up an LED. lemme see what google can dig up.

{EDIT}
Nevermind, Hall Effect Sensors still need a Vcc. I knew I quit being a EE for some reason. :)
{/EDIT}

I don't know what kind of LED's are out there and what kind of field can be created. I just know that it's got to be possible! The bike is creating a magnetic current that the stator is converting to energy that recharges the bike.

As prezmek is saying a simple copper coil may do the trick but i'm not sure how to make it work. I am sure I could figure it out but thought I would toss out the idea on here so others could maybe save me time investigating it.

Bicycles used to use a similar kind of setup with a wheel that contacted the tire and spun a device that would light up your nightlight. The faster you went the brighter it was. We'd use the energy from the flywheel to do the same thing of sorts.

i may be mistaken, and is the reason i asked about whether or not the strips were DC, but isn't it a rotating magnetic field and if so wouldn't it induce an AC voltage in the stator windings?

It is inducing a rotating field which would be AC. I don't think you can run LEDs off of that

It would give the same effect if you where to just tap off the coil on the stator

It is inducing a rotating field which would be AC. I don't think you can run LEDs off of that

It would give the same effect if you where to just tap off the coil on the stator

that's what i thought. thanks for confirming. i was fearing that my electromagnetic theory was in dire straits.

The only way that I can see this being done is if you mounted a small rectifier to convert the AC to DC inside the cover, or AC bulbs could be used

LED bulbs run on dc. If you where to run one on ac it might work for a split second but as soon as the alternating current went negative and reverse biased the led, it would pop. This is the same reason LEDs won't work if you hook them up backwards

If you really had your heart set on running lights off the ac coming from the the stator, you could possibly make a rectifier from a few diodes and resistors. I would have to look at some of my old engineering text books to remember how though. I made tones of them back in school but that was a few years ago

LED bulbs run on dc. If you where to run one on ac it might work for a split second but as soon as the alternating current went negative and reverse biased the led, it would pop. This is the same reason LEDs won't work if you hook them up backwards

If you really had your heart set on running lights off the ac coming from the the stator, you could possibly make a rectifier from a few diodes and resistors. I would have to look at some of my old engineering text books to remember how though. I made tones of them back in school but that was a few years ago

One diode and one resistor should do the job. LEDs I have used last time were
direct 12V sticker tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7ya07DDR0
Closest thing I could find. I looked at some physics reports and it seems that it would be very possible to transfer this energy into a LED since they dont require much to run anyway. Its the field generator part that looks complicated.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node84.html

Im not an electrical engineer but I did stay at a Holiday in last night:rofl_200::rofl_200:

Cool stuff! And to hyjack this thread even further.....who knows the name of the song playing in the video?

Sorry Bill...it's my all time favorite, just gotta pass it along! :worthy:

fur elise, you must have gone to school with CR and share the same mom hahahhaha great tune

Back