Minimum rpm's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guess its like any motor you can feel where its happy...i have no proplem at 2000 rpm on level road where im riding and warming the motor up at the same time ..once its warm 2500 seem about the norm if in a lazy mood.... buy my bike has no problen at 2000 if in traffic......usually backfire through carb is lean ..like before drilling out and adjusting air mix screws ... would backfire through carbs all the time when stock and fully warm... opened up air mix screws 90 % went away...ill get a pop through carbs once in a while and only when grabbing throttle to downshift..think thats normal for a stock set up....can open air mix more but why do that and have it run rich....your popping through carbs sound like different problem

this weekend i'm not going to lug it , i'm going to cruise no lower then 2,500 rpm's & see what happen's !

this weekend i'm not going to lug it , i'm going to cruise no lower then 2,500 rpm's & see what happen's !
you said you had some kind of racing back ground ?....ride the fucking thing :rofl_200:...when you get better gas milage doing 80 all day long then riding at 50 all day long that should tell you something

yea, our bikes are so heavy that if your lugging it , its like pulling a trailer up a hill ! My answer to this thing is if you took my v-max engine & put it on a go cart , it would'nt spit back because even lugging it as soon as you hit the throttle it would take off & the rpm's would go to redline real quick ! Because it would be 350 lbs. Lighter ! Take a stick shift car or a diesel truck and let it lug , the diesel won't start taking off untill 1,600 rpm's when the turbo starts spoolling up & if it's a none turbo you have to down shift to get the rpm's up , same as the v-max , in a car go up a hill in 4th gear at 30 mph, & hold it floored , it may even slow down more by the top ! same thing as lugging the v-max !

They don't have to be at 3000R's like the previous post stated. Also, FWIW, my 460 doesn't have to downshift much at all. :D

i have a 1987 f350 tow truck with a 460 4wd , manual trans & if i'm lugging through town towing a car & lay into the throttle it spits back ,depending on how slow i'm going , this is what i'm trying to say , quarterhorse , if your car was towing a 25 foot boat up a hill with a manual trans in 4th gear & stock rear gearing , doing 30 mphs, it might pop back , & might not pick-up speed at all , it may slow down if you don't down shift , buy the time you get to the top ! Just another way to look at it ! THESE ARE SHIT CARBS ,

i have a 1987 f350 tow truck with a 460 4wd , manual trans & if i'm lugging through town towing a car & lay into the throttle it spits back ,depending on how slow i'm going , this is what i'm trying to say , quarterhorse , if your car was towing a 25 foot boat up a hill with a manual trans in 4th gear & stock rear gearing , doing 30 mphs, it might pop back , & might not pick-up speed at all , it may slow down if you don't down shift , buy the time you get to the top ! Just another way to look at it ! THESE ARE SHIT CARBS ,

Does the truck do that empty? We're talking apples to oranges by comparing empty versus loaded. The Max isn't hauling anything buy my ass. The power/weight ratio is heavily in the Max's favor between the two. My carbs don't spit back unless it's loading up, that's it. I understand his comparo in aircraft, but don't think it applies to automotive/motorcycles.

It may be dumb, but I hate having to look down to see the tach, so I just keep it where it sounds good. ( not make me smile hauling a$$ good, good as in running right)

you said you had some kind of racing back ground ?....ride the fucking thing :rofl_200:...when you get better gas milage doing 80 all day long then riding at 50 all day long that should tell you something
WHERE I LIVE THERE IS A LOT OF SLOW MOVING TRAFFIC IN THE SUMMER, SO I CAN'T DO 80 MPH'S . CAN'T DO 30 ALOT OF THE TIME ! THATS WHY I'M ASKING WHAT IS THE MINIMUM RPM'S EVERYONE RUNS AT ! :punk:

it may be dumb, but i hate having to look down to see the tach, so i just keep it where it sounds good. ( not make me smile hauling a$$ good, good as in running right)
yea , that is a asshole spot for the tach ! Exspecialy with a full face helmet !

I am never below 3000 rpm unless I am sitting at a traffic light.Or when i pull in the clutch passing a cop to quiet it down! LOL!

Does the truck do that empty? We're talking apples to oranges by comparing empty versus loaded. The Max isn't hauling anything buy my ass. The power/weight ratio is heavily in the Max's favor between the two. My carbs don't spit back unless it's loading up, that's it. I understand his comparo in aircraft, but don't think it applies to automotive/motorcycles.
NEXT TIME YOU RIDE , ONLY DO 20 MPH , IN 5TH GEAR , TWIST THE THROTTLE FULL OPEN , THE BIKE WILL BEARLY ACCELERATE ! THIS IS ALL I'M SAYING , THEN THE HIGHER THE RPM'S GO THE QUICKER IT STARTS ACCELERATING, HENCE THE DIFFERENCE IN MANIFOLD PRESSURE ( AT MACHANIC CLASSES THEY SAY THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ENGINE VACUUM ) WICH THEN IT CAN TAKE IN ALOT MORE AIR & FUEL , MAKING ALOT MORE POWER ! ALL I AM SAYING IS WITH THE BIKE LUGGING & YOU TWIST THE THROTTLE IT CANT TAKE IT ALL IN , JUST BECAUSE YOU OPEN THE THROTTLE DOES'NT MEAN IT'S GOING IN . THATS WHAT I'M SAYING . AS THE RPM'S INCREASE , IT TAKES MORE IN . AT 1,500 RPM'S IT DOES'NT MAKE ANYWHERE NEAR THE HORSEPOWER THAT IT MAKES AT 8,500 RPM'S . & WITH THE BIKE IN 5TH GEAR IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET 600 LBS. + RIDER MOVING , IF YOU DOWN SHIFT TO 2ND THE BIKE TAKES OFF , BECAUSE NOW IT CAN TAKE IN ALL THAT AIR & FUEL ! :punk:

not sure where this thread is going ..anyone who lugs any motor shouldent be driving, riding.ect...better get a automatic ....you just know where it feel right.. it can be a wide range in rpm where the motor is happy ..as far a traffic goes little higher rpm better for the cooling and oil flow...if a motor any sticking motor dont pull away hard in high gear, its because its in the wrong gear period ... has nothing to go with carbs...not sure what track im on here....slow traffic i want a little responce a little zip when i roll the gas on...its a tool to keep you out of trouble......cop are you trying to change your style of riding because of carb problems

NEXT TIME YOU RIDE , ONLY DO 20 MPH , IN 5TH GEAR , TWIST THE THROTTLE FULL OPEN , THE BIKE WILL BEARLY ACCELERATE ! THIS IS ALL I'M SAYING , THEN THE HIGHER THE RPM'S GO THE QUICKER IT STARTS ACCELERATING, HENCE THE DIFFERENCE IN MANIFOLD PRESSURE ( AT MACHANIC CLASSES THEY SAY THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ENGINE VACUUM ) WICH THEN IT CAN TAKE IN ALOT MORE AIR & FUEL , MAKING ALOT MORE POWER ! ALL I AM SAYING IS WITH THE BIKE LUGGING & YOU TWIST THE THROTTLE IT CANT TAKE IT ALL IN , JUST BECAUSE YOU OPEN THE THROTTLE DOES'NT MEAN IT'S GOING IN . THATS WHAT I'M SAYING . AS THE RPM'S INCREASE , IT TAKES MORE IN . AT 1,500 RPM'S IT DOES'NT MAKE ANYWHERE NEAR THE HORSEPOWER THAT IT MAKES AT 8,500 RPM'S . & WITH THE BIKE IN 5TH GEAR IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET 600 LBS. + RIDER MOVING , IF YOU DOWN SHIFT TO 2ND THE BIKE TAKES OFF , BECAUSE NOW IT CAN TAKE IN ALL THAT AIR & FUEL ! :punk:

I'm not trying to say you can do that, all I'm saying is there's no reason to ride at a constant 4K either. You taking what I'm saying to an extreme.

My boat didn't need to stay above 3000R's to stay on plane or pull a skier, my bike doesn't need to stay above 3000R's to pull me around, and my truck doesn't need to stay at 3000R's to drive around. That's all I'm saying. We're not racing the thing, we're in traffic. If lugging it at 2500 or 2000 bothers you, or your bike runs like shit, then don't do it. I don't need to spin mine, it runs great for cruising at those Rs. All I'm saying.

Ok 1/4horse... I have my spoon in hand but I don't like ass... :biglaugh:

Anyway... I find 3000 to be about the lowest I can hammer it from. 4000 is MUCH better though.

When I hammer it at 7 it's better than that, but I don't go cruising around a 7 either haha.

I've said my piece though, I'm finished with it haha.

not sure where this thread is going ..anyone who lugs any motor shouldent be driving, riding.ect...better get a automatic ....you just know where it feel right.. it can be a wide range in rpm where the motor is happy ..as far a traffic goes little higher rpm better for the cooling and oil flow...if a motor any sticking motor dont pull away hard in high gear, its because its in the wrong gear period ... has nothing to go with carbs...not sure what track im on here....slow traffic i want a little responce a little zip when i roll the gas on...its a tool to keep you out of trouble......cop are you trying to change your style of riding because of carb problems
" HELL NO " :rofl_200:

When I hammer it at 7 it's better than that, but I don't go cruising around a 7 either haha.

I've said my piece though, I'm finished with it haha.
YEA , I HEAR YA ! :punk:HOPEFULLY I CAN CRUISE THIS WEEKEND & MESS AROUND & SEE IF IT STILL SPITS BACK ! IT'S SUPPOSED TO RAIN ! :bang head:

ok 1/4horse... I have my spoon in hand but i don't like ass... :biglaugh:

Anyway... I find 3000 to be about the lowest i can hammer it from. 4000 is much better though.
see 3,000 rpm's thats what i'm talking about , i'm going to hammer mine from 3,000 & see if it spits back !

I do not like the way my vmax runs when it is lugged down. I try not to let it get below 3000-3500 in any gear. Plus it runs much smoother at a little higher RPM. The engine isn't really cammed for lugging. as for the vacuum thing I have been a professional mech since 1985 and I check manifold vacuum. it may be called apressure diffeential but when it goes under 0 it sure seems like a vacuum to me...but what do I know..

IT'S VACUUM TO ME ALSO BUT THE TECH'S DO NOT CALL IT THAT ! TO ME THATS WHY ALL MECHANICS HAVE A VACUUM GAUGE !:rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back