My First Vmax - Kent UK

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

for_gdw

Reaction score
So currently stripping it as it speed wobbles over 85mph :rolleyes:, also number plate was in a stupid place so making a new under bracket
Any advise on anything will look at posts and ask away

Attachments

• VMAx1200.jpg
    VMAx1200.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 0
Yes it apparently has 'one of everything.'

I would check the front end, after checking the tires for wear and air pressure. Remember the front end has air assist. The use of Progressive Suspension front springs usually eliminates the air in the forks, but if it has a stock spring, then you will have better results with air pressure in the fork tubes.

Have a read of the attached.

It would also be good if you could add a few details of your bike in your signature so we know what it is we are dealing with.

Attachments

• A question of weave and wobble.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
So currently stripping it as it speed wobbles over 85mph :rolleyes:, also number plate was in a stupid place so making a new under bracket
Any advise on anything will look at posts and ask away
I've changed springs to stiffer ones,(not progressive.) tightened head bearings, fitted frame braces, balanced wheels, changed rear suspension to YSS ones, lowered front suspension by 1 inch and still it weaves but not so bad. I can now get to about 115Mph rather than 85. Mine's a 98 model running on Avons. A tyre change will be next. I did find setting the rebound to 4 on the rear suspension made a big difference.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I've changed springs to stiffer ones,(not progressive.) tightened head bearings, fitted frame braces, balanced wheels, changed rear suspension to YSS ones, lowered front suspension by 1 inch and still it weaves but not so bad. I can now get to about 115Mph rather than 85. Mine's a 98 model running on Avons. A tyre change will be next. I did find setting the rebound to 4 on the rear suspension made a big difference.
I am looking at Wheel balancing and then maybe tyres, I also bought a spare swing arm I am going to get braced, they look really flimsy and being 126kg is not going to help!

Welcome to the forum.

If you intend to get the swing arm brace also consider a larger deeper relief in the swing arm besides the stock configuration. This will help you if you fit different Wheels which I consider to be the best Generation 1 mod you can do. That's getting wheels sized to take radial tires.

Typical sizing is 17 or 18 inch front or in the rear. If you like to run top end, then consider an 18 inch by 5 and 1/2 in rear wheel. The minimum size to hold a radial tire in the front is a three and a half inch wide wheel. You got a larger choice of front and rear rubber if you run 17 inch wheels but a 17-in rear wheel with a low profile tire will give you good acceleration but less top end, but how often are you going 145 plus anyway? Hopefully only at the track for the sake of your longevity and that of your license.

The standard swinging arm will accept a 5 1/2" x 17" Dymag (as seen on MM's bike) without modification but you need to do the washer swap.
This is the basis on how I had my s/a braced.

Arm Brace.jpg...and on the bike

Swinging-Arm_1.jpg

Swinging-Arm_2.jpg

Swinging-Arm_3.jpg

and no, your eyes haven't gone funny, it's a crap photo!

Also note that depending on how the arm is braced and which exhaust is fitted some don't clear the collector.

Back