my ttr225...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
hey all..

couple non vmax questions, thoughts, etc..

recently got into dirt biking and loving it. i picked up a ttr225, maybe not the best choice, but its what I have right now and the price was right..

got it for $800, rebuilt the forks, put some new bars on it and risers. blew a tube a week ago so got a new rear tube and tire but aside from that its stock/as I got it.

so first question. i was out tonight with a bud and my stator cover hit a rock. put a good size ding in it and it was weaping oil from a small crack. threw the bikes on the truck and went and got some quick drying epoxy, and more oil from autozone. sealed it and rode another 2 hours like that, no problems. I am looking for a used one, but none are available right now (sure as fuck not spending $350 on a new one), and i'm not sure if i took it apart i may run into more issues. so would u guys:

1. leave the epoxy
2. try to grind/sand it off and put jb weld on
3. STOP RUNNING IT and wait for a replacment!!!

i like options 1 or 2. maybe try to find a used one down the road to replace.

Second question. the rear shock spring has cracked. its down near the bottom and its right as the sprint hits the adjusting nuts so its not effecting it too much i dont think and i just noticed tonight and was probably like that the whole time i've had it. anyone have any experience with aftermarket shock options for the ttr line? looks pretty limited. i've tried playing with the settings but its still a little too soft. i was able to tighten up the front by putting heavier oil and preloading the spring a bit..

i'm thinking one of the $60 and under options for a used shock might just be the best option...

i dunno i guess i'm kinda rambling. anyways let me know what you guys think...

Last edited:
I had a YZ 250 that threw it's chain and chewed up the case pretty good leaving a hole. I used some epoxy, let it set up, painted it then installed the chain and never had a problem. I'd say if it's not leaking not to worry about it.
Sounds like you may need a skid plate there Hurricane Hannah!:rofl_200:

No idea on the shock.:confused2:

If it ain't leaking don't mess with it.....

As for the spring.......If it's not really affecting anything wait until the fix is cheap.....:twocents:

might be able to just pull a spring off another dirt bike Garrett, or enduro, i dont have the specs on yours but should be able to find something easily

Its an $800 dirt bike. I'd say if it ain't leaking, leave it alone. It it starts to leak try something else. I've had decent luck with my aluminum repair on the CR5 that I did over the winter. I used "alumaloy" repair rods or something like that. They were real cheap and so am I so I figured I'd give it a shot. Looks good too.

I've got nothing on the shock. You could probably buy a similar one from ebay and make it work with creativity. Never heard of a aftermarket spring for the TTR but I haven't been looking either. Maybe you have a suspension shop near you that has an old spring laying around that you could get to work. If it were me, I'd just leave it and never worry about it again.

I've spent a bit of time in the seat of one. Its a fun little machine to beat the crap out of.

I had a YZ 250 that threw it's chain and chewed up the case pretty good leaving a hole. I used some epoxy, let it set up, painted it then installed the chain and never had a problem. I'd say if it's not leaking not to worry about it.
Sounds like you may need a skid plate there Hurricane Hannah!:rofl_200:

No idea on the shock.:confused2:

thanks brian!

If it ain't leaking don't mess with it.....

As for the spring.......If it's not really affecting anything wait until the fix is cheap.....:twocents:

i like ur thoughts. i told my dad about the issue and he was panicky, he thought i hit my VMAX stator cover on a rock! haha...

might be able to just pull a spring off another dirt bike Garrett, or enduro, i dont have the specs on yours but should be able to find something easily

yea can't find much for compatability. i'd love one just 10-20% stiffer.

Its an $800 dirt bike. I'd say if it ain't leaking, leave it alone. It it starts to leak try something else. I've had decent luck with my aluminum repair on the CR5 that I did over the winter. I used "alumaloy" repair rods or something like that. They were real cheap and so am I so I figured I'd give it a shot. Looks good too.

I've got nothing on the shock. You could probably buy a similar one from ebay and make it work with creativity. Never heard of a aftermarket spring for the TTR but I haven't been looking either. Maybe you have a suspension shop near you that has an old spring laying around that you could get to work. If it were me, I'd just leave it and never worry about it again.

I've spent a bit of time in the seat of one. Its a fun little machine to beat the crap out of.

sounds like i'll leave the epoxy for now and try some aluminum weld if it fails. it was a parking lot fix so i'd like to maybe seal it abit better, anyone see a reason i can't fill in the epoxy holes with the JB weld, or bad idea to mix the two?

yea works has some aftermarket stuff, but i'm not going to dump $350 into suspension. if i was going to do that i'd go buy a xr250 down the road for $1300 and sell this.

also i attached a pic showing where the spring is cracked (all the way thru)..

also for cheap replacements thinking one of these:

option 1

option 2

or not so cheap, how hard is it to replace the spring? i don't think this is cost effective tho:

option 3

Attachments

• ttrshockcrack.JPG
    ttrshockcrack.JPG
    15.6 KB
Last edited:
Back