Need advice on exhaust!!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckzx9

Reaction score
Can some of you guys suggest a 4 in 2 exhaust system. If you were to buy one right now which ones would you buy for yourself???
I am looking for something with some noise but not obnoxious. More bassy sounding instead of the tinny sounding. I have asked a few people already . Just trying to make the right decision. I hope to have the system for awhile..
Thank you all in advance for your responses.:punk:

marks, 17" cans, ceramic black, 02 bungs welded in.

however, i would keep in mind making a braced swingarm down the road gets pricier due to the crossover.

Mckzx9,
been running Mark's SS Pipes 4 in 2 exhaust system w/ 14" mufflers on my 06 since last fall and luv them; no question I would buy them again. The low rumble sound from them is really addicting. :eusa_dance: A huge change from the stock exhaust system. The V-Max HAS to sound as good as it looks... and these pipes do just that ! There are some YouTube vids out there that will give you a flavor of the sound you'd get with this system.

I also have a set of baffels that Mark made for them that cuts the overall noise down about 30% when I want to run stealth mode. :rofl_200:
Mark is great to work with, and makes a quality product. You can't go wrong with a set of these pipes ! Good Luck !

thanks Garrett. I think I want stainless steel but I am really looking at Mark's exhaust as a real possibility. why would I need a braced swing arm??

Jeff does mark have a website for pricing and other info. Jeff did you have to cut off the center stand mount? Everyone that has a mark's exhaust seems very happy.

Mckzx9,
here's the link to Mark's web site. http://marksperformance.com/vmax.html
Nice thing is that with Mark's system, you get to keep the center stand ... a big plus to many. I agree ... everyone I know that has Mark's pipes are very happy with them.

Since he's on west coast time, I found the best time to reach him by phone is 8 am ish his time / 11 am EST. Mark will work with you to put together the right custom system that you want / are looking for.

When installed, the only carb changes needed are to shim the carb needles ( I used 0.040" shims per needle) to get a richer mid-range, and adjust each of the carb A/F screw settings to 3 turns out; +/- 1/4 turn. There are several threads in the exhaust & carb sections with more details if needed.

Mark's 4-2, probably 2-1/2" outlets. I have 2" and they work great but aren't quite loud enough for me... I have a video near the end of the Stickied Exhaust Sound Thread. Exhaust section...

I've got UFO's original 4-2 in stainless, love it!!!

Marks is as good if not better....Sound is really going to be dependent on what kind of can/muffler you hang on any of them.......

Performance wise I doubt there is a lick of difference.....

Mine are stainless and they are high maintenance for sure, they WILL turn colors on you and also anything that get's on them will burn and and look like rust etc...

I don't ride mine in rain and wipe 'em down every time out and they hold up great, if I let it go for too long every foriegn substance that gets on them will end up looking like some sort of brown crappy looking coating in a real irregular pattern....then it's time for heavy buffing and polish....

The upside of stainless is that they can be re-polished and made to look like new over and over again.....

Ceramic is what i'd like now though, not quite as shiny but easier to maintain, but seriously doubt it'll last forever,,,,,,haven't had it last more than a few years on car headers.............

Mckzx9,
been running Mark's SS Pipes 4 in 2 exhaust system w/ 14" mufflers on my 06 since last fall and luv them; no question I would buy them again. The low rumble sound from them is really addicting. :eusa_dance: A huge change from the stock exhaust system. The V-Max HAS to sound as good as it looks... and these pipes do just that ! There are some YouTube vids out there that will give you a flavor of the sound you'd get with this system.

I also have a set of baffels that Mark made for them that cuts the overall noise down about 30% when I want to run stealth mode. :rofl_200:
Mark is great to work with, and makes a quality product. You can't go wrong with a set of these pipes ! Good Luck !

I too have the Mark's system with baffles installed. Originally, it didn't have baffles, sounded great but was too loud. The baffles brought the sound down to a good level, but maintained the great tone of the Mark's pipes. The Mark's sound has the low tone rumble without the ratty shrill noises. Since you specifically mentioned not wanting it too loud, you may want to have Mark install the baffles from the start. Otherwise, to install the baffles requires you to remove the end caps, pull out the cores, wrap the packing around the new cores and install them. It's not a difficult job, but requires a little patience. I found the end caps to be very tight fitting and stubborn to pull out.

How easy was installs on UFO and marks? Did you have to modify anything. And were u able to keep center stand?

With the Mark's you can keep the center stand. If later you want to brace the swingarm, Sean Morley can make a flat brace that clears the Mark's pipes.

How easy was installs on UFO and marks? Did you have to modify anything. And were u able to keep center stand?
UFO & Marks are both good quality the last ufo I helped install we did have to get rid of the centerstand not th brackest just the stand Marks you can keep it all. The ufo megaphones are pretty loud. There is a member here that has a set of UFO's for sale only a month old for 700 bucks. If he dont chime in I will get you in touch with him if your interested.

a braced swingarm will do wonders for your swingarm flex.

Back