New member need advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2005vmax1200

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2005 vmax 1200 with 23k miles and im at a loss, i rode the bike 98 miles home with no issue then about a week in a cylinder drops, replaced it with a brand new coil, shotgunned the carbs, replaced spark plugs caps and wires yet still nothing. On cold start itll fire for a solid 10-15 seconds then the whole left exhaust goes dead and blows hot air while the right side fires perfectly, front left and back left headers get hot and im more than positive i have spark on both cylinders. Cylinders wake up slightly when vboost activates but still doesnt seem to be firing like its supposed to, compression is normal at 168. Also carbs seem to cough slightly during warm up

I recently bought a 2005 vmax 1200 with 23k miles and im at a loss, i rode the bike 98 miles home with no issue then about a week in a cylinder drops, replaced it with a brand new coil, shotgunned the carbs, replaced spark plugs caps and wires yet still nothing. On cold start itll fire for a solid 10-15 seconds then the whole left exhaust goes dead and blows hot air while the right side fires perfectly, front left and back left headers get hot and im more than positive i have spark on both cylinders. Cylinders wake up slightly when vboost activates but still doesnt seem to be firing like its supposed to, compression is normal at 168. Also carbs seem to cough slightly during warm up
Not knowing how long it sat, a long soak in the ultrasonic would be in order.
Getting the rack apart and opened up will let ya know exactly how their set up for jetting.
An excellent start to baselining a new-to-you bike.

Latest posts

Back