New VMax-er in Washington

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spduffee

Reaction score
Hello All! I came across a 1985 VMax 1200 a while back that needs a lot of work to breathe again. It's eating my lunch, but I gladly sacrifice for this legend. Right now I am swapping the top crankcase, since the old one had a broken motor mount.

This type of repair may be an easy fix for your skills level but I'm interested in your procedures.

I'm no pro mechanic but have read that you want to use a pair of matched cases to get best results for uniform clearances. Align boring of the crankcases may be necessary to attain uniform measurements and I don't know about how-good results you can get from different crankcase halves.

You're using plastigauge to measure the crankshaft clearances for each crankcase half? What are you doing to check the thrust bearing surfaces?

My machinist friend can save crankcases, he has been doing those types of repairs for decades.

I'm sure I will learn something new if you can review your work methods for someone (me) and I thank you for the response.

20240815_142023.jpg20240815_140108.jpg

Latest posts

Back