New member / new owner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firro

Reaction score
Name is Firro , from the Netherlands. age 32
Been riding since 2018.. owned ~10 bikes so far.

Since June this year owner of a vmax from 1998, i always liked the Vmax. Saw this one for like 2k euro's.. couldnt let it pass, had to get it.. previous owner passed away, so i have litterally 0 info the bike, trying to figure out what mods i have thanks to this forum.

Next steps:
Carb sync/cleaning
Paintjob
Tires
proper maintenance
new headlight(any suggestions?)

CBR600RR
CBR1000RR
VT1100C
R1 Big Bang
Z1000
Z1000SX
S1000RR
FZ6
V-MAX 1200 1998

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
best
Looks like aftermarket wheels, what size are they? And are they radials? Is it operational now?

If it's been sitting for months/years, the gas tank probably needs a good inspection, and the pilot jets in the jet block of each carburetor needs cleaning/unplugging.

https://ia800204.us.archive.org/14/...ice-manual/yamahavmaxvmx12-service-manual.pdf

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/
best photo i have right now; they are 17" with regular continental sport attack tires.

the bike needs a proper carb cleaning and sync, im able to ride the bike with choke half open, when i close choke, idle is good but as soon as i hit the throttle it stalls.

Attachments

• sfJ5YUi4STqWVEWUkY_ifg.jpg
    sfJ5YUi4STqWVEWUkY_ifg.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 0
  • 447781275_10228441682845599_4082656792860419859_n.jpg
    447781275_10228441682845599_4082656792860419859_n.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 0
bike needs a proper carb cleaning and sync, im able to ride the bike with choke half open, when i close choke, idle is good but as soon as i hit the throttle it stalls.
Yes, time for a carb cleaning. Use the search function, in the upper-right of the page, and search ultrasonic cleaning, carb cleaning, and parts kits for carbs. OEM is best, but I also like and recommend K&L. There probably are German, Dutch, and U.K. sources for what you need.

An ultrasonic bath is I believe the #1 way to do your carb cleaning work. It will pay for itself the first time you use it. The carbs need to be disassembled into at least two pairs, and into four individual carb bodies to be able to completely disassemble them. Use the service manual, take lots of pictures and notes and make sure that you completely understand what you're doing. If you don't, take the pictures you have taken, and post up on here with your questions.

About the carb rebuild kits, I do not recommend the 'all four carbs in one set' of replacement brass that you find on ebay. They are not good unless you like frustration, out-of-specification parts, and wasting money.

I bet you discover in your carb disassembly that your pilot jets are plugged-solid. Do not attempt to drill them out! I use a single stainless steel wire in a pin vise to poke-out any hardened deposits in the pilot jet remaining after an ultrasonic bath.

Take a look at the fuel filter for debris or rust from bad gas or rust on the inside of the gas tank. Cleaning the carbs but neglecting to scrub completely clean the gas tank, and to install a fresh gas filter, means that the rust particles will just cause problems in your carburetors again. The inside of the gas tank should be shiny bare metal unless someone coated the gas tank with a tank-sealing product. Those only work if you follow the instructions exactly. Too-many amateur mechanics try to use those gas tank sealing kits, and they don't work because the directions were not followed. Then you end-up with all that debris in the tank and the gas lines and the carbs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back