New To The V-Max!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
Hey guys! My name is nick, obviously! I just got a 1985 V-max today for a grand, Talked the guy down a huge chunk of change for it. It needs a battery, fuel filter, clutch bled, and maybe... MAYBE carbs cleaned. Other than that it's beautiful!

I upgraded from a 1984 Honda Magna V45. I was looking for a V65 but I saw a V-max on craigslist and loved it... however the one I looked at on craigslist has a 4-1 kerker header, corbin seat, and super trapp muffler.

Anyhow, I like the bike!

Anyone want to tell me where the clutch bleeder valve is? lol

ZineStuff901.jpg

ZineStuff905.jpg

ZineStuff907.jpg

follow the line down on the left side of the engine, its under the left little rubber cover right behind the stator cover and before the middle gear cover. its tricky.

nice bike tho! congrads! what happened to the kerker vmax?

the thing is still for sale but I found this one a better deal. I like working on my bikes a bit.

So do I have to take the stator cover off to get to it or can I do it from outside of it?

Ahh... Over near Chi town. Welcome... I am about 2.5 hours west in the Quad Cities.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:
Hey guys! My name is nick, obviously! I just got a 1985 V-max today for a grand, Talked the guy down a huge chunk of change for it. It needs a battery, fuel filter, clutch bled, and maybe... MAYBE carbs cleaned. Other than that it's beautiful!

I upgraded from a 1984 Honda Magna V45. I was looking for a V65 but I saw a V-max on craigslist and loved it... however the one I looked at on craigslist has a 4-1 kerker header, corbin seat, and super trapp muffler.

Anyhow, I like the bike!

Anyone want to tell me where the clutch bleeder valve is? lol

Even though this is a guide to replacing the pick up coils, it shows you where the clutch slave and bleeder is in the 2nd and 7th picture. You do not have to remove the middle gear cover to bleed it.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=7484

I just noticed someone cannibalized the '85 side covers off the bike and installed later models with the Vmax decal AND put them on backwards! WTF? Switch them around!

lol they're on backward? I'll have to switch them around.

Also, what kind of fuel filter should I get for this thing? I'm shooting to get it going today.

lol they're on backward? I'll have to switch them around.

Also, what kind of fuel filter should I get for this thing? I'm shooting to get it going today.

Mr Gasket makes a universal one that works great. You can get it at Auto-Zone or other Auto parts houses.

Do a search on it.

Chris

LOL, yep. Backwards. I've seen people put the 86 up decals right over the stamping on the 85 covers so he may still have them. They have been repainted (as has the whole bike). Still a good score for $1000.

Sean

I was told by my Honda V4 brethren to save up for a 4-1 kerker header and can because it's the most distinguished exhaust note in motorcycle history. Anyone confirm this?

I was told by my Honda V4 brethren to save up for a 4-1 kerker header and can because it's the most distinguished exhaust note in motorcycle history. Anyone confirm this?
not sure if its the most distinguished but i can say it sounds real real sweet, you wont regret it.:punk:

Great score!!!

I'd say it's loud as hell (the kerker) so if that's what you're after you will love it.

What no-one has mentioned yet is that you can't bleed the clutch line normally like you would a brake line. You have to reverse-bleed it (shooting fluid thru the nipple with a syringe) or use a MightyVac.

Also get a standard fuel filter (with paper element), I recently got one of those glass ones with removable plastic filter element and it lets way too much stuff through.

I got a new fuel filter from auto zone, 2.99 woo. Also got the clutch bled earlier. I kept pumping it up and opening the line and didn't get much out. I took a piece of mechanics wire and dangled in the two holes in the reservoir and the... BUBBLES! I pumped it up alot and saw lots of bubbles, opened the bleeder and all i got was a wet fart noise and DOT fluid spatter on my face. Did it a few more time and started getting old faithful style reactions. It's got pressure now. +1 on the v-max battle

I got a new fuel filter from auto zone, 2.99 woo. Also got the clutch bled earlier. I kept pumping it up and opening the line and didn't get much out. I took a piece of mechanics wire and dangled in the two holes in the reservoir and the... BUBBLES! I pumped it up alot and saw lots of bubbles, opened the bleeder and all i got was a wet fart noise and DOT fluid spatter on my face. Did it a few more time and started getting old faithful style reactions. It's got pressure now. +1 on the v-max battle
after the wet fart in your face how did that make you feel :rofl_200:

seriously good job man :punk:

You can get a wally world battery for the Max, but if you're feeling a little spendy or in a hurry go for an Odyssey gel-cell. These motors take a lot of juice to spin over and it seems that the el cheapo batteries don't tend to last as long, or crank slowly when the motor is hot.

Something quick and easy to do is the "crimp fix". Go to the tech section of vmaxoutlaw.com and look for it...there's a great tutorial with pictures. It seems that the older the bike, the more it helps. Even on my '97 it raised voltage nearly a full volt across the range. You can also download a .pdf of the entire service manual---definetly want to grab that.

Kerker's are LOUD pipes. While I appreciate a good sound as much as everyone else, IMO a good note doesn't have to be super loud. I find that super loud pipes just get annoying on the highway. I'm running Holeshot slip-ons with stock headers. Got a nice hearty sound, reminds me of a big-block V8. Very nice deep rumble. Louder than stock, but not loud enough to catch shit at po-po checkpoints. On the highway with a full face helmet, I can just hear the motor. I couldn't hear my Magna V30 at all.

Definetly a bargain for the "original hooligan bike" at only a grand....I paid $1500 for my '85 V30 2 years ago.

Check the tires.....look old? Any cracking or dry rotting? If so, replace pronto, or do a big smoky burnout to kill the back one, which ever you prefer.

How about the diff oil? Seems to be a commonly forgotten item. It only takes like a cup of oil so might as well change it. I believe 80W is spec'd in the manual, so any 80-90 will do just fine.

If it starts and runs but runs kinda poorly, try a can of "sea-foam". Yes, it's a "snake oil", but everyone here who has tried it was amazed. I've seen it work some pretty good miracles myself. If that doesn't work/help, there's lots of articles here about carb cleaning.

How's it shift? If neutral is kinda hard to find or shifts seem "sloppy", your segment might be bad- the "old" style was used up until 99 and it had a tendency to bend and let the pins that the shift caliper grabs fall out. Search "shift segment" here and you'll find everything you need about that. It's a worthwhile upgrade, since my segment broke with virtually no warning and left me driving a hundred miles in third gear. It's about $75 worth of parts and maybe an hour's job. Good time to replace the clutch if necessary.

You'll find loads of help here with any issue you could possibly encounter. Plus, it's good to know your '85 will still smoke about 90% of the bikes on the road, including ANY stock H-D. Even the v-rod.

Latest posts

Back