New to vmax ownership

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Iv had a few bikes over the years but not had the privilege of a vmax until now I also have a diavel so similar bikes yet very different

Welcome, owning a Diavel is one way to 'cure' the VMax wobbles a few people haven't been able to solve.

I haven't actually got the vmax yet I pick her up on Tuesday are they as much fun as they look? Iv got a mate with one but he won't let me have a go🤣

Welcome to the forum! Is your Max a 1st Gen or 2nd?

Fire-medic, you're right. A Diavel is the best way to cure 1st Gen wobbles. 😁 I also own a 2011 Diavel, a super solid bike in areas where my Max would certainly get squirrely.

It's gen one 1990 I believe I have an issue with the bike though at somewhere between 40ish-55 there seems to be a wobble in the front wheel is this common or any ideas what it mite be as it feels a little scratchy rideing the bike cheers

https://ia800204.us.archive.org/14/...ice-manual/yamahavmaxvmx12-service-manual.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/user/one2dmax

To me, 'scratchy' means the steering head bearings are shot. Replace them with OEM or All Balls, K & L, or I think Parts Unlimited may have replacements too. Loose bearings, and landing too-hard after a wheelie can cause 'brinelling' which is notching in the bearing races, which is probably what you're feeling. The lower outer bearing race will come out easily. but the upper outer bearing race is harder. There really isn't a good place to use a chisel or a punch to get it out. Most people either use a Dremel to carefully cut a notch or two into the race and then use a chisel to get it broken & off. An easy way, if you have one, is to put a couple globs of weld 180 degrees apart, and then use a chisel to strike at the globs. The combination of heat and the hammering should get the race out.

The bottom race on the steering shaft of the lower triple tree, same thing. Cut carefully w/a Dremel a couple places, and then chisel it off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back