Noise from rear bank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no smoke, she ran fine, just noisy. too bad theres no good vmax guys in pensacola. he seems to be more interested in tearing the motor apart than i'm comfortable with

and he didnt say anything about jugs, that was just my amateur assessment based on what he told me. Im an auto mechanic, so i try really hard to pretend that I know what I'm talking about.

Well, I hope you find it, that is the important thing, just how much money is spent in the end is the sucker. Keep us posted on the progress as we all are interested in the outcome. Thanks and good luck, Roy

Well, here goes. She broke the wrist pin in the rear right cylinder. Scored the wall, spun a bearing, sent metal bits through the whole motor, scored the rest of the bearings and cyl walls. Its F@#%ED. need a motor. The pisser is, I bought the thing two weeks ago. Can't say i got my money's worth so far. I'll be calling sean once i'm not broke.

Well, here goes. She broke the wrist pin in the rear right cylinder. Scored the wall, spun a bearing, sent metal bits through the whole motor, scored the rest of the bearings and cyl walls. Its F@#%ED. need a motor. The pisser is, I bought the thing two weeks ago. Can't say i got my money's worth so far. I'll be calling sean once i'm not broke.

OUCH!

Ah well, I may be able to help. I have a spare Venture 1300 motor lying around. I actually have no idea if it's any good or not as I haven't had time to tear into it yet, and I was gonna keep as a possible 1300 upgrade to my max in the future, but I dunno when I'm gonna have the time to deal with it, if ever!

Let me know if interested..

Look at the bright side, at least it didn't blow up while you were on a long ride and leave you stranded.

OUCH!

Ah well, I may be able to help. I have a spare Venture 1300 motor lying around. I actually have no idea if it's any good or not as I haven't had time to tear into it yet, and I was gonna keep as a possible 1300 upgrade to my max in the future, but I dunno when I'm gonna have the time to deal with it, if ever!

Let me know if interested..

How did you end up with it? How much do you want for this mystery motor?

Almost everything the mechanic said was bull. I went up and looked at it this evening. The wrist pin does have slop in it, and the cylinder wall has a very small(2 inch long by maybe .002 deep) gouge in the cylinder wall. The wrist pin is not broken. The main bearing looks perfect, as does the crank journal. no chunks or even flake in the drain pan he used, or in the filter...none. I told him to bag and tag bolts etc. and i'd be there to pick it up tomorrow. dick. I'm in auto repair, but figured 2 wheel are better left to a pro. Guess not.

Piston, wrist pin, rod, bearing, rings and gaskets and I'l be up and running. the only question i have is, why did i end up with this slop in the wrist pin riding surface in the first place? Hmmmmmmm....

You may recall our conversation yesterday about it being that very possibility. It's very common to have it happen and i've seen it on engines with less then 1000 miles even. I'm glad to hear that's all it is (even if I don't sell an engine - lol)

If you note that the wrist pin is riding on steel so you get galling very easily. Over-revving is a contributing factor too. Your rod can be resized and restored easily enough or replaced as you noted. When we restore them they run $240 exchange and are bronze bushed on the small end to help the galling problem.

I've got new rods on hand too and even ring sets, gaskets, ARP studs (to replace the stock ones - lets your torque higher and help prevent head gasket failures).

Sean

My piston is galled too. Would you send me a quote for the whole works(however you would doit) for that one cylinder? including gaskets and all? I'd much rather give you the business than buy it all from the dealer.

shoot me a reminder email - and i'll try and work it up for you. I have a few good used pistons I am sure and I know I have a few new OEM pistons but larger bore (which you could still do but it will make your cost go up quite a bit.

Sean

As unfortunate as this is, it sounds like you are on track to getting back to riding. I wish you the best!

Latest posts

Back