not sure who's sicker me or my bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nd4topspd

Reaction score
Took my vmax for a 250 mile ride today and just got back. I have developed a serious problem in second gear. At frist when I noticed under full throttle the bike felt like it was either missing for just a split sec or even felt like it jumped a chain for just a split second.(Iknow its shaft driven but thats what it felt like). By the time I got home it now sounds really bad like gears grinding when just under a little power in second gear. No problems in 1st or 3rd that I can tell yet. I can have it in second going down the street not trying to accelerate and it sounds normal but wants you start to speed up chunkity chunk chunk lol.
What do ya think is going on in there? Scared I aint going to like what I hear but I need your ideas.
Thanks
John

Unfortunately, it sounds like your second gear dogs are worn out/broken. It means splitting the case to repair....no small job. The "chunkity chunk" is the transmission "slipping" over the rounded off/broken nubs, which occurs under power.

It's a relatively common problem for the Max, seemingly moreso on older models. Hard, clutch-less 1-2 shifts are believed to accelerate this problem(consensus is to just fan the clutch on the 1-2 shift, and power through the rest).

It's a big job, but not hopeless. The part itself isn't that expensive, but you'd get absolutely killed on labor costs if you brought it to a shop. At common dealer labor rates($75/hour, at least), you'd be looking at probably a grand.

See if there's anybody on this forum near you that'd be willing to lend a hand.

do not drive no more as stated if broken gear you do not want the pieces to go around and break more stuff just my 2 cents

Don't get too down. Just noticed you're in Kansas, which means you can't be too far away from Sean Morley (one2dmax), otherwise known as the Vmax god. I'm sure he can help you out....get in touch with him!

thanks guys I guess she is parked for a while. Got some reading to do and making a plan to dig into her I'm a guessin. She has 39500 miles so if I am going that far is there other things I should look into while that far apart?

thanks for the thread Redbone... Holy Moly I hope I dont have that many peices floating around as his last pics lol I'm a true blood Vmax lover and hate the thought of giving up on her but this is going to get expencive cause I hate just patching something. Thinking of a complete overhaul at this point

Talk with Sean and look over the options that he will give you. I was hesitant to go full bore into fixing the transmission "right" and was contemplating just "fixing it". Sean convinced me to go ahead to do all of the work I "wanted" and to not just fix it.
My symtoms were jumping out of second gear and clutch was slipping.
I did the following to mine: undercut gears, replace shift drum/ dog/ segment, dd clutch mod, hd oiling mod, added overdrive 5th gear mod. I also asked Sean adjust the valves, and to paint the engine. In the transmission teardown Sean found other problems (loose starter clutch bolts) that was taken care of as well saving future problems.
I am a shade tree wrencher, not a mechanic by any means, so having a expert such as Sean take care of the problems he found will go a long way to making sure I'll have a great experiance once I shoehorn my motor back into it's frame. You will not find a better vendor or nicer person to work with, in any thing you may purhcase. The value Sean builds into his work will be providing benefits long afer you pay for his bill.

sounds like a good direction for sure!! I definetly will be tryin to get ahold of Sean and getting some ideas going. The thought of no bike all summer is really stinkin ;-(

You can skip that gear for now but you do have the risk of future potential damage (though we have ridden them that way for some time). I could maybe give you some trade in credit towards the 98 I have coming in. Get a newer bike with better forks and brakes and it's even had a recent rebuild (though not by me).

Of course we can fix your trans or do a trade towards a 1300 engine build!

Sean

I'll take D all of the above lol I wish :)
1300 sounds sweet though. I am kinda attached to my bike so fixing it up sounds like the direction I would probably go.

Latest posts

Back