o to 60 in ? Seconds!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a dash cam video I made on the Max, I know I launched it off a stop and just going from the speedometer it was like 3.25 sec.

On a track or with a better rider I'd say 3sec or maybe a touch under is in the ball park.

Power really doesn't matter as much, since there's more than enough to get wheelspin so a good time is about controlling traction, not just flooring it and dumping the clutch.

The neat trick about the Vmax is that's a time that's aged quite well. I think Kawasaki published a 2.6sec 0-60 time for the latest Z1000 and the ZX14 is even a touch better than that.

Only being down a half second on the latest-and-greatest super sleds after 25 years seems pretty good to me.

I am curious about how many seconds it takes to go from 0 to 60 on a stock Vmax that is tuned well.

Recently rode in my brother-in-laws 2013 Camaro SS. I think it was less than 5 seconds.

Wondering about a race between his car and my vmax.

I`ll have a go at measuring, but really, 100km/h, that`s just opening the throttle wide and trying to get it in 2nd :bang head:

I have original road tests of the 1985 model:

Cycle World, May '85:
0 - 60 is 3.0 sec
1/4 mile is 10.89 @ 128.75

Cycle Guide, May '85:
0 - 60 is not listed but the acceleration graph looks like it's 3.0
1/4 mile is 10.922 @ 127.47

IIRC 2.9 sec is sticking in my mind perhaps from another road test that I failed to keep. :(

Very few supercars in the world can match the 0 - 60 of a fast m/cycle, but by the time the 1/4 mile mark comes along the horrible aerodynamics of the m/cycle is slowing it down compared to the car's superior aerodynamics and by then the car has a better chance to catch the bike.

I have more recent years of road tests that I could look up if I could get away from my morning cup of coffee and go to my files. :)

Norm

:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:
I`ll have a go at measuring, but really, 100km/h, that`s just opening the throttle wide and trying to get it in 2nd :bang head:

Yeah it's kind of a silly benchmark for a bike.... it's over so fast.

Using the calculator, based on my 1/8 mile speed and time 0-60 takes 1.75 seconds. Pretty easy merging onto the highway! :biglaugh:

LOL ... yeah, right ... your "calculator" needs some major adjusting ... maybe you should test bikes or drag race for a career. :biglaugh: Your calculations mean you could beat Jay Gleason ... and every other professional drag racer and magazine road tester ... easily. :)

Cycle World, Sep 2001:
0 - 60 = 3.2 sec
1/4 mile = 11.31 @ 121

Norm

Well Normie, it's not "my" calculator.....it's the one that Todd provided a link to earlier in this thread. http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

My VMax runs the 1/8th mile in 6.3 secs @ 114 mph with me on it, 205 lbs suited.

Maybe you should read all the posts in a thread more carefully (slowly) before you recommend a career to someone. :biglaugh:

Well Normie, it's not "my" calculator.....it's the one that Todd provided a link to earlier in this thread. http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

My VMax runs the 1/8th mile in 6.3 secs @ 114 mph with me on it, 205 lbs suited.

Maybe you should read all the posts in a thread more carefully (slowly) before you recommend a career to someone. :biglaugh:

Is your VMax stock? Do you have a drag bar? Drag slick?

OOPs ..I've been braggin to the "kids" at work about my new vmax.. I told em it was 0-60 in 2 seconds.. just a small white lie I guess.

I'm just gonna stick with that though. (cant change my story now) The only bikes that these people have are: 2012 streetglide, 78 GS550 , a 70?sportster 1200 , a Royal star, and some banged up homemade chopper. I'd be waaay ahead by the time I hit 60.. heheheheheheh

T$

:rofl_200: I figure it's your story you can tell it how you want. I always have people come up to me and tell me how fast my Vmax is:punk: I just smile and say, yeah they are fast...

Itgoes, I apologize for sounding sarcastic in my earlier comment ... I've had a stiff drink which contributes to my insensitive comment.

But really, I've owned a VMax for 27 years and read nearly 95% of all road tests by all the major m/cycle magazines, and the fastest I've ever seen for 0 - 60 for a stock VMax is 2.9 sec. The 1.75 sec you allege according to the referenced calculator is approx 33% faster than Jay Gleason and every other professional tester. Just saying ...... that maybe the calculator doesn't work so well for all vehicles.

Again, sorry for my pissy reply.

Norm

Itgoes, I apologize for sounding sarcastic in my earlier comment ... I've had a stiff drink which contributes to my insensitive comment.

But really, I've owned a VMax for 27 years and read nearly 95% of all road tests by all the major m/cycle magazines, and the fastest I've ever seen for 0 - 60 for a stock VMax is 2.9 sec. The 1.75 sec you allege according to the referenced calculator is approx 33% faster than Jay Gleason and every other professional tester. Just saying ...... that maybe the calculator doesn't work so well for all vehicles.

Norm
I believe he is riding a Gen 2 so that would be the diffrence.

Norm

That's Ok Norm.....I didn't take it personally, it was just to tempting not to reply with the same tone.

I appreciate your candor and apology...it's quite refreshing actually!

I have a Gen 2 and I've seen 0-60 stated as fast as 2.3 seconds in a magazine. Mine is lighter and faster than stock so it's probably closer to 2 seconds, but I really have no idea.

Either way, getting back to the original posters question....I've never worried about a Camaro beating me to 60 mph even on the bone stock 86 that I owned. :punk:

-Mark-

I think it bears mentioning that if you don't know how to properly launch a bike then a fast street car will get you out of the box... My Cutlass launched way harder than my bike but that was with sticky tires... Most camaro's are no problem as long as they are still fairly stock....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Back