Oil on my front right rotor?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
A few days ago I noticed my 85's front right rotor looked darker than the left. Touched it and found it was nicely oiled.. Black.. Wiped it off and found the same thing this morning while calling in sick.:bang head: No drips, just a oily rotor.

I guess I wont just be changing the pads now. Looks like a complete rebuild.

I assume the piston seal (rebuild kit $73) is leaking and hope its just the seal and not the piston($152) or the caliper bore ($637)which might be pitted.

How a piston seal can cost $73 is beyond me. Or caliper for $637 for that matter.:damn angry:

Anyway.. Where can I get these stock parts cheaper? And any tips are welcomed since Iv never done this.. I might as well get new SS lines while I'm at it. Im already into this project over $70 with the new EBC HH pads Iv bought.

Thanks

Might be a good time to upgrade to busa 6 pots and late model rotors. See sean for adaptors to make it all work and hit ebay for the calipers. Not uncommon to get a good set of calipers for about $50

you may want to get ahold of 44magnum, i think he got some prices on seals that were a lot cheaper, but it may have been a one-off thing

Trying to pin point the leak Iv removed the brake hose holder from the fork and found oil under the rubber grommet.:ummm:

Maybe its only a brake line pin hole. 20 some year old rubber

Nope.. Not that lucky.. Its definitely the outboard piston seal thats leaking.:bang head:

Anyone know the years the two piston calipers were used and if any were painted silver? And if they bolt right on to a 85?

K. so 92 and after were 4 piston and it looks like they are all black.

But Will not fit 1985-1991 bikes which have different fork and smaller rotors:bang head:

So R1 and R6 calipers?

For the early forks (85-92) your options are:

85-92: All silver - 2 piston - a few guys should have spares on here and if not I have some. I think a few other year bikes from those mid 80's will work too. Maybe the Fazer/FZX 700. Not sure what else fits. The FZR are different and are 4 piston. There was an FZR400R that had 4 piston and was a direct bolt on but finding those are EXTREMELY rare (and I've never personally seen a set).

R1/R6 with adapters online (about $150 for those adapters or I think Jedi makes some). May or may not require larger rotors to be installed with them.

GSXR 4 piston Nissin/Tokico with adapters I sell. Can use your stock rotors but depending on which caliper may or may not need longer lower lines (or lower the forks). I have a set of used calipers and homemade adapters that I would sell for $150 plus shipping - pads are almost like new even. Adapters still look good and are polished aluminum (or normal adapters we make are steel).

Busa/ZX12R 6 piston calipers with adapters I sell. Requires larger rotors. OEM (or aftermarket lines) will work just fine.

The 93 and on could use the Vmax caliper (color was silver or black depending on year) and you could even use gold from the early FZR's. Then the R1/R6/Warrior calipers will fit and have various colored inserts (blue, gold, and silver). The 6 piston YZF750R racebike calipers were a direct bolt on too but hard to find. I think the Raider with billet inserts will fit but haven't bought one to try yet.

Sean

Nope.. Not that lucky.. Its definitely the outboard piston seal thats leaking.:bang head:

Anyone know the years the two piston calipers were used and if any were painted silver? And if they bolt right on to a 85?
My '92 had silver 2 pot calipers on them and they should work on all the early years '85 to '92.

you may want to get ahold of 44magnum, i think he got some prices on seals that were a lot cheaper, but it may have been a one-off thing

Cant seem to find 44magnum.. spelling?

Back