OIL Viscosity

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
Hey guys, tried reading up as much as I could on this subject before I resorted to asking a question on this topic.

I have an 2004 vmax that I recently purchased used and didn't have a owners manual. Don't know if the recommenced oil changes from year to year but a manual that I found online, dont know what year it was for, stated that 10w30 was the oil to use. I live on the East Coast and temps range from 30's to 100 for the times I would ride.
I see lots of post were people are using 15w40. Dont know much about the differnce between 10w30 but would like to know whats the best viscosity to go with.

Looks like alot of people are running shell rotella, debating using something I can pick up at an auto store vs yamalube...

Thanks

Hey guys, tried reading up as much as I could on this subject before I resorted to asking a question on this topic.

I have an 2004 vmax that I recently purchased used and didn't have a owners manual. Don't know if the recommenced oil changes from year to year but a manual that I found online, dont know what year it was for, stated that 10w30 was the oil to use. I live on the East Coast and temps range from 30's to 100 for the times I would ride.
I see lots of post were people are using 15w40. Dont know much about the differnce between 10w30 but would like to know whats the best viscosity to go with.

Looks like alot of people are running shell rotella, debating using something I can pick up at an auto store vs yamalube...

Thanks

i use 20w-50 yamalube (replaces the 20w-40 that is no longer available)

I use Rotella 5W40 but have used and like the 15W40 as well. Can't go wrong with either of them. The high zinc levels are good for the trans as well.

Chris

So when I read people using Castrol Gtx, is that just plain motor oil, not motorcycle specific as well. Was in my local wallymart last night and saw that the Castrol Gtx 10w40 did not have the energy conserving idicator on the quart.

I don't like car oils because they don't contain the zinc that MC and diesel oils do. The Rotella T is as good if not better than others. Try it. It comes in a gallon container as well. I use a Mobil-1 M-110 filter as well.

Cheers,
Chris

Ok I think I'll give it a try.. dealer quoted me 35 bucks for filter and 4 quarts of yamalube, wallyword has it for 10/gal. Thanks

im gonna use the rotella t also....after all the research....its the best deal going i can find.

Be careful with the shell rotella. There is a post on a Spyder site where the formula has changed and hie clutch started slipping using it. I'll stay with amsoil 10w40

I don't like car oils because they don't contain the zinc that MC and diesel oils do. The Rotella T is as good if not better than others. Try it. It comes in a gallon container as well. I use a Mobil-1 M-110 filter as well.

Cheers,
Chris

Very good point on the oil there , is so true .
I use 15w/40 works well . :punk:

Be careful with the shell rotella. There is a post on a Spyder site where the formula has changed and hie clutch started slipping using it. I'll stay with amsoil 10w40

It was probably his clutch more than anything. I used it last year as well as the 5W40 synthetic with zero issues.

Chris

I've been using the Rotella T for a year now....no problems that I can see (or hear)
20.00 a gallon at walmart here

Latest posts

Back