One more time for the slow people lol will a bigger rear tire effect handling?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the tire on a static balancing stand, spun it and scribed a line on the tread with a ball point pen.
Then measured from the scribed line to a circumference groove, all the way around the tire. The measurements differed by 3/16".

Anybody else with a 170 Shinko on a stock wheel noticed this runout?

I have the Shinko 170 too. How did you make sure that the the ball point pen didn't move while scribing?

Also can you post a picture of your measurement method, I'm not quite sure I understand that one?

I have the Shinko 170 too. How did you make sure that the the ball point pen didn't move while scribing?

Also can you post a picture of your measurement method, I'm not quite sure I understand that one?

Here is a pic of my balance stand, the axle rides in bearings which sit on the wood uprights. I spun the tire and used a ball point pen in a fixed position, like a cutting tool on a lathe, to scribe a line next to one of the small straight grooves cut in the tire tread. (next to the blue line)
Then I measured from the scribed pen line (which would be how the tire should track) over to the tire groove (which is how it is tracking).
The difference at the point where the two lines were closest and the point where they were farthest away from each other was 3/16."

None of this bullshit is necessary to determine if there is runout though. With the bike on the centerstand run it in 4th or 5th at 1500 or 2000 and look at the rear tire to see if it moves laterally.

I went to all this because I wanted to see if I was making headway beating on the sidewall with the rubber mallett. I wasn't.

Thinking maybe the bead wasn't seating properly I broke the tire down (again) and soaped both tire & wheel, put about 15# in it, remounted to the bike and wound it up to about 5000 in 5th using centrifical force to seat the bead. The tire grew like a dragster tire but the runout never changed.

I'm beginning to think it must be the tire because the wheel tracks true.

Attachments

• 100_1078.jpg
    100_1078.jpg
    95.1 KB
175lbs...

yes almost all tires will wear a flat spot to some extent.

but the rear shinko almost completely squared off. the flat spot was almost the whole width of the tire, whereas the other tires Ive had wear a flat spot down the middle about 2 inches or so.

the venoms wore somewhat similar, they also squared off, not as much as the shinko. the metzelers Ive run have retained thier shape more, but are not as sticky as a shinko.

I felt these two tires handled the worst in corners compared to ME 880's. took more effort to lean bike once tires sqaured off

Just my experience.

I have 5000 miles on my Venoms and they never squared off ? I am not Kidding when I say I hit the curves. I have seen some pics of the tires squared off I assumed it was from burnouts.

Latest posts

Back