parts needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
Im not sure if this is the right location for this thread but I could use some small parts to help'85 bring my '85 back to life...... If I get lucky I'm not going to need much.

have a couple of small things that I could use so far, a clean stock set of mirrors, one clean stock rear blinker, and on faux cover the chrome one that goes directly below the carbs... other than that stuff I belive that this '85 is complete

probably should start asking around about carbs too.... this one has been sitting got a feelin' she's got the gumy gooey gas problem.... generally I do my own carb work but if there is someone around here who really has these nailed I might just go that route.

any one who has any of these items please pm me

i am not going to use my intake covers. also have stock mirrors... not perfect but in good shape. PM me.

I have a rear stock blinker off my old 85 hiding in the garage, let me look around. If I can find it you can have it, I will let you know the condition of them when I find them after work today.

Last edited:
Hey Bacchus you old coot:

I've got tons of stuff I will give to you in my garage. I'll phone you and letcha know, otay?

Elimax (Aaron)

I have a rear stock blinker off my old 85 hiding in the garage, let me look around. If I can find it you can have it, I will let you know the condition of them when I find them after work today.

I found the blinkers, they look pretty good. If you still need them shoot me a PM with your address and I will send them to ya.

looks much more usefull and entertaining than reading the service manual...

Looks like I aslo am going to need and outer clutch basket and the wire retainer that hooks into the outer clutch basket.... was getting ready to put the clutch in and noticed a big ol chunk missing

any body got spares???

Looks like I aslo am going to need and outer clutch basket and the wire retainer that hooks into the outer clutch basket.... was getting ready to put the clutch in and noticed a big ol chunk missing

any body got spares???

I have an outer basket, I think I have the retaining wire as well. I also have a different clutch boss, pressure plate, push rod, etc... to replace what you have and convert your diaphragm clutch into a coil spring type clutch. Similar to the barnett pressure plate setup but uses all OEM yamaha parts to achieve the coil spring setup.

If you have it all apart you may want to consider ditching the clutch boss spring, spring seat, wire retainer, and half sized friction disc. Then, purchase one full sized friction disc and install in place of what was taken out. This will give you a stronger clutch. You can take it further by buying an additional diaphragm spring and stacking it on top of your existing one to complete the DD mod or buy a coil spring setup like I have or a Barnett one.

Attachments

• DSC03775.JPG
    DSC03775.JPG
    107.1 KB
  • DSC03776.JPG
    DSC03776.JPG
    99.3 KB
  • DSC03777.JPG
    DSC03777.JPG
    105.6 KB
"If you have it all apart you may want to consider ditching the clutch boss spring, spring seat, wire retainer, and half sized friction disc. Then, purchase one full sized friction disc and install in place of what was taken out. This will give you a stronger clutch"

Im wondering if this is what was done??? Im going to have to refer to a parts diagram to figure this out I think....

I definately need the outer basket though.. pm me please

The stock setup has the clutch boss spring seat sitting (looks like a huge washer basically) on the inner clutch hub first. On top of that you would find the clutch boss spring (again, looks like a big washer but built like a belleville washer). These two items sit on the inside circumference of a special friction plate that is thinner than the others. Then a steel clutch plate goes on top of that. After these parts, the retaining wire goes in and the rest of the clutch gets assembled alternating frictions and steels.

You can eliminate the clutch boss spring and seat and half friction disc, throw away the retaining wire, (parts 4, 5, 6, and 7 in attached diagram)and install a regular friction disc (part 9 in diagram) in their place and have a stronger clutch with no change in lever effort. Add in a second clutch diaphragm spring on top of the pressure plate and you will greatly increase clutch strength but lever effort will increase.

Instead of doing the DD you could install a coil spring conversion with heavy duty springs. Either the type I have or a Barnett one. This will increase clutch strength but not quite as much as the DD and lever effort should be somewhere between stock and the DD setup. Some guys like the "more linear" feel of a coil spring clutch versus the "on or off" feeling of a diaphragm style clutch.

Check out this link for some additional info on the clutch and DD mod
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

The attached photo shows the clutch boss spring seat. It is the large diameter washer looking thing (technically speaking). The washer sitting inside of it is the "thrust plate" that goes between the outer clutch basket and inner basket (clutch boss).

Attachments

• DSC03774.JPG
    DSC03774.JPG
    106.8 KB
  • Clutch.pdf
    157.3 KB
I found the thrust plate in the box of parts I got with the bike and there was none installed in the clutch..... allso the piece that bends up to secure the big nut was in the box as well.

so the first mod you are discribing only requires the addition of one friction plate and the removal of the parts you discribed???? sounds simple enough to me...how does this benifit the clutch operation?

Yes, first mod is just removing the parts described and replacing them with a full size friction plate.

Your clutch will be less likely to slip since you are replacing the small friction plate with a full size friction plate. More surface area to grab and hold.

why were the other components used then? seems like it would have been cheaper to just install one more disk at the factory rather than to produce those other parts and have two holes added to the clutch basket...?

I can't say for certain but my best guess is that the OEM setup is designed to be a bit easier on the transmission and drive components.

It will slip more under severe load (due to the half friction plate) and it will engage the trans a bit "softer" because of of the clutch spring.

I have a basket and retaining wire. Didn't look for the spring seat and spring but I think I have those as well.

The spring first showed up in the FZ700's if I remember right. it was there to make shifting smoother.

Sean

Latest posts

Back