Payback :-) But No Patch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, you are right, the only time the mid-size Cleveland was adapted for use on the small block Ford was the Boss 302, which used the huge intake port Cleveland heads, which were similar to the GM 'porcupine' heads having different geometry for breathing. That made them not fun to drive around town, but plenty of power on the strip! People who wanted enhanced drivability used reducers between the exhaust & the ports to narrow the opening for better flow at the dragstrips but this is not the typical use most cars get. Cheap, effective, and easy to do. I had a friend on the fire dept who had a Boss 302 he bought new & his piston skirts collapsed, an expensive re-do, & apparently a common problem w/this model.

Here's some info on the small block Fords, looks like the 351 Windsor had more in common w/the 302 than the Cleveland. I think the Cleveland & Windsor had different deck heights, though you could buy special intake manifolds to mix & match blocks & heads among them.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/How_to_identify_SB_Ford_heads_without_pulling_them

I was more up on this stuff when I had a couple of Fox body Mustang GT's. I also built a mild 351W for a Ford van I had for nearly 20 years. It would run up to 95 mph & was 'drag-limited,' too big a hole in the atmosphere to go any faster, but who drives that fast?

I think they consider the 351 W & Cleveland 'small blocks,' the FE (like the side-oiler 427's in the 1960's NASCAR & the Cobra) was a big block, as was the replacement 429 'Thunderjet.' That became the 460, & the engine family was the '385' series, I had one of them, an early 429. This is not to be confused w/the Boss 429, which was a racing homologation model only, not really a good street engine, unless you were into racing, and by necessity was made to allow Ford racing to use it.

I used to read lots on the vehicles, but was never a racer. Plenty of guys here have the dirty hands to show how they got their knowledge, most of mine came from hanging out w/friends who had the $ to spend, or were racing, like my friend whose dad was an Indy car owner from the early 1950's until about 1980. No smoking in his garage w/drums of methanol stockpiled for his racers!

The 302 is a small block and the Cleveland is a big block........Your vast knowlege amazes me tho.........If I knew half of what you know my head would probally explode!...........:biglaugh:..............Tom............BTW, Kyles mustand looks awsome!.......:punk:

Really?

You sir have fallen solidly into the category of a troll.

troll-web.jpg

I am sorry to see the post about a disagreement of opinion, just ignore the post(er) and post somewhere else on a topic you don't take issue with. We have been blessedly free of such issues to this point and I hope that the principals don't devolve into one of those Internet pissing-contests. Just ignore the stuff you disagree with and post about things you like to read-about. Simplistic? Maybe, but this site has for the most part avoided those behaviors. Please, guys, just post under topics where you can be more-positive. I don't reply when I disagree w/someone, usually. Once in awhile maybe I do but most of the time I just look to post where my writing will be appreciated.

Would love to see what the Mustangers scribble on their Mustang forums about you Dave.

I don't hold any grudges against the Mustang Kids, I was young a long time ago and likely did worse to other "Old Farts".
We go through life and make a lot of mistakes along the way. I have more than my own fair share. I was tired of Politics
and thought I'd liven things up with a spontaneous thread . My Badd. :confused2::sad2:

Re: Vintage Mustang Punks Vs. CaptainKyle's car

So the Vintage Mustang youngsters are punks? Eff 'em.

Here is a nice ride belonging to a acquaintance of mine, his dad is a former factory racer for AUDI, (he also raced Porsche GT's) I saw him race in the ALMS Series (Sebring, among other tracks they compete at). He did a rotisserie restoration on this, including a new floorpan. The drivetrain has been thoroughly refurbished, the block is a year-correct 302 Cleveland W/a Holley 4 bbl. The interior has a Hurst stick and the wheel is a meaty wood rim. The wheels are really-nice K-H 500's, and the bodywork is about as-close as you could get w/o spending more than the car is worth. He built it to be a driver, not a show car trailer queen. No A-C, not yet, maybe not-ever. In FL, that means it's a 'winter car,' about the opposite of what that would mean 'Up-North.' When I lived in MI, we would call a local 'winter car,' a 'huntin' car.':biglaugh:

With all the work Kyle is putting into Christine's first generation Mustang, he can appreciate the work that went into this.

I stopped by my friend's shop and this Mustang was in the parking lot, it belongs to one of the new business operators. My friend still owns the property, but is taking a step back from years of 7-day-a-week business operation, and is now free to work on a lifetime's worth of cars and bikes he has collected. He's a pilot too, and used to own a Grumman Widgeon (high-wing twin-engine, amphibious), which is a handy thing to have if you live in the Bahamas, as he did. This is not his plane, but is the correct airframe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZAFo3hSn4&feature=player_detailpage
Yep I can appreciate the work it takes a lot. Hopefully Chritines will get some bumpers and other trim for Christmas. I also found some one taking apart a 68 mustang with a V8 so I managed to trade 2 MC tires for the motor ,trans,driveshaft & rearend. I have already done way more to this thing than planned & I keep creating more work & I am not even a bug Mustang fan

Love it Dave! :worthy:

I live in a loop road, and as far as I'm concerned, no-one does burn outs in our street. There is cats and kids everywhere. People shouldn't shit in their own beds etc etc. We don't need the attention. Cops won't send a single car to our street, because of it's history (before I moved in). They send two cars minimum. Not cool.

There is some wanker up the end of the loop that doesn't know the rules, thinks they are tough. But the weak bastards get out of sight real fast and I haven't been able to properly ID them. I thought I had it sussed, but now I think it's someone else from in a little estate, so they can hide. Real hard to catch them at it.

One day I'll get from the shed to the road in time. :biglaugh:

Back