paypal, fees, and you.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattness

Reaction score
if you send payment to someone, say, for 100 dollars, do you make them pay the fees or do you pay them?

personally ive always paid the fees. if someone wants 100 dollars, id send 107 or whatever. instead of making them pay the fees, and theyd only get 93.

what if you were only making a couple bucks on something, and they bummed you on fees. would you suck it up or ask for more payment? awkward i know.

if you send payment to someone, say, for 100 dollars, do you make them pay the fees or do you pay them?

personally ive always paid the fees. if someone wants 100 dollars, id send 107 or whatever. instead of making them pay the fees, and theyd only get 93.

what if you were only making a couple bucks on something, and they bummed you on fees. would you suck it up or ask for more payment? awkward i know.

I guess it depends on the situation....if someone was asking me for money to get drunk and spend the night with a hooker I'd probably let them pay the fees.

If I win an ebay auction and my bid was $100 then I send $100.

On a low profit item I adjust the starting price to keep from losing anything in the event of a paypal payment. Which is the way most folks pay now.

if you're talking about the crash bars for gen2 u're selling on eBay, the 350 bucks are inclusive of the PayPal fees. As a seller you will handle the fee.
To sum it up, as a seller you handle the eBay fee and then the PayPal fee and since both are part of the Ebay corp, everything goes to eBay :p

Just my two cents (no fees):rofl_200: When I sell a seat , it is what it is, Right now $449 shipped in the us:biglaugh:, Ill eat the pay pal charge . after the holidays Ill charge for cost of shipping but Ill still cover the paypal fees.

Although I can see where if your just selling small dollar items and not running a small bussiness where it would be fair and reasonable to ask for paypal fees.

The last time I paid Sean, I paid him more than he asked for to offset the charges. It was worth me doing that rather then sending a check.

Thinking back, I have NO idea why I did that when I use BillPay at US bank and can send a check for nothing. Man I'm stupid! lol

Chris

I just recently learned that if you send money via Paypal as a Gift, there is no fee?

rick rash

if you're talking about the crash bars for gen2 u're selling on eBay, the 350 bucks are inclusive of the PayPal fees. As a seller you will handle the fee.
To sum it up, as a seller you handle the eBay fee and then the PayPal fee and since both are part of the Ebay corp, everything goes to eBay :p

nah i mean in general. i charge more on ebay to offset the invoice costs.

Say Bro, I'd won't say I struggled with this too but I had to give it some thought just like you. If I deal with people from here that I know or recognize, I pay the fee. If I buy something from Sean, I pay the fee. If ebayer say they accept Paypal, I assume they understand paypal, want their money instantly. Some say "plus paypal fees". Which means they are going to send me an invoice with the fees included. Don't send me an invoice without the fees, get paid and ask for the fees after the fact. Anyone I don't know, only gets the agreed upon price. So now you all know a little about me and how I roll.

Last edited:
I just recently learned that if you send money via Paypal as a Gift, there is no fee?

rick rash

hmm maybe they changed it, i thought they bumped the gift fee up to match the others.

if you know and trust who you are sending the money to.You can send it as a personal gift through paypal. no fees, you send 100 they get 100.other wise the seller just has to absorb the fees.

I know what your saying, but it all depends on the situation. If someone is selling me a part really cheap, I will aske if they want extra to cover the fees. If I'm paying a "normal" price for something, I normally just pay the asking price. Some people will say if its paypal, they want the extra % that paypal charges. If its something really small I will just send the money as a paypal gift.

As a recipient of money you aren't supposed to ask for paypal fees separately, its in their TOS.

I have been receiving money via paypal since they began and never asked for 3% on top of a selling price to cover the fee. I also laugh at anyone that asks me to pay it.

as a recipient of money you aren't supposed to ask for paypal fees separately, its in their tos.

I have been receiving money via paypal since they began and never asked for 3% on top of a selling price to cover the fee. I also laugh at anyone that asks me to pay it.

+1

I have a small online business, take Visa and M/C only, never set up with Paypal. The c/c companies already charge both seller and buyer, so I see no reason to add a third charge into the mix. People call my toll-free line, and give me their c/c number over the phone, just like we did before Paypal figured out how to solve a problem we didn't have, to get a cut of the action. IMHO, they are a totally unnecessary entity.

Ebay and paypal are owned by the same guy. Fuck him...

well ebay wants money to post an ad, money when you sell something, money when you do the transaction..

i mean if you wanted to sell a 100 dollar pair of shoes by the time the fees are all up youre walking away with 65 dollars lol.

theyve gotta be billionaires.

i remember the first time i posted something on ebay, and had an email about an invoice.. i was like wtf?? i owe ebay 45 dollars on top of all the fees ughhh. at least they give you 30 days to pay it.

I charge a 3% fee to use paypal which covers the charges they send. I give the alternative of sending cash/check for the amount of the sale too. My markup is not very high which is why I do that. For items listed on ebay I would normally either list that as a requirement or absorb the cost. As long as they know the potential is there they can plan their bid amount to reflect the amount they are willing to spend.

Sending money as a gift is one way around the fees but paypal knows this and will warn the seller. I've had a few warnings that they will close my account if that kept happening.

Sean

we need a paypal competitor, and all the bullshit would stop lol..

but its so widespread now... like microsoft windows

lol jk sean

Attachments

• iseewhatyoudid.jpg
    iseewhatyoudid.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 11
I can deal with the paypal fees. Ebay is what pisses me off there fees have gotten crazy that is why you see a lot of stuff for sale now for like 5 bucks buy it now & a $ 75 buck shipping fee cause ebay cant take a percentage of the shipping only the buy it now price.

Back