please evaluate this bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think i looked at that bike last year found it on craigs list in kansas city if its the same bike it has slipons and the rear wheel is offset pretty far. i thought it was too high when i looked at it at 3900 last dec for the miles

Yes. It's the bike in KC. It actually started at 4900 which I wasn't going to go near. Did you ride it? What'd ya think? I haven't actually looked at in person yet...I wanted to get educated first. Thanks!

All can have a problem where the dogs round over causing 2nd to slip out. Pretty much all bikes can do this.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

I think the bike's been sitting too. From what I've read, this is not good for Mr. Max.

Sitting around really isn't good for any bike but it's not the end of the world either. Carbs get full of gunk, rubber boots and seals can dry up and leak, ect.

My Magna had been sitting for like a decade, right on the coast too in RI. The only issue I ever ran into were leaky fork seals and bad plug wires, but otherwise ran like a clock.

The 2nd gear issue tends to turn up on any bike that's kind of a hot rod, people are more likely to drive fast bikes in a fast manner.

Huge offset,not good. The wheel looks like a BT1100 one,which will fit straight in BUT it won't be central and the bearing won't be touching the inner sleeve of the final drive. So unless he's spaced it properly it will self destruct pretty quick.
BT wheels can be made to fit,in line,with a notched swingarm and some machining work to the cush drive. Personally it looks nasty to me,wouldn't go near it with a wheel so far out.

I'm pretty convinced to start looking elsewhere now. There's two other one's I'm considering. One's a 2000 with leaking front fork seal and a flat front tire so it's cheap ($3900). Other one's a 1996 in good shape with some mods...same price.

How much trouble will the leaking fork seal be? That seems like a minor issue right? Thanks again!

Fork seals are cheap,not too bad to change,I'd ask how long its been sat on the flat though,it can damage the wheel. IMO the '96 would be worth a look as long as its the later front end one.

I'm pretty convinced to start looking elsewhere now. There's two other one's I'm considering. One's a 2000 with leaking front fork seal and a flat front tire so it's cheap ($3900). Other one's a 1996 in good shape with some mods...same price.

How much trouble will the leaking fork seal be? That seems like a minor issue right? Thanks again!

fork seals are easy to fix, but also not too expensive even at a dealer, and you could always send them to sean morley (on this forum) and he would do them and install progressive springs for you if you wanted (a modification well worth it)

Agreed! Forks are easy and Sean even posted a video of his 12 year old daughter doing it.

Tires are cheap... It went FLAT for a reason... I'd replace and be safe. Front tires are VERY important to have right.

Chris

I got a local shop to do the fork seals on my Magna for like $150 out-the-door a couple years ago, so it won't break the bank to even have a dealer do it. At $3900 I'd say that's a reasonable price.

As others mentioned buying a pre-modded bike can be kind of tricky...did the previous owner know what they were doing, or just slapping stuff on there? Were add-ons installed correctly? Did they use cheap generic parts or high quality ones made specifically for the bike? Some people prefer to start with a clean slate and have all the mods be their own. Your call.

Which isn't to say steer clear of modded bikes, just tread carefully and keep an eye for details.

I found some more information on the bike:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/2391622095.html

it explains the exhaust question. still have questions about the rear conversion that I'm going to get to the bottom of. what do you all think now?

so far I've narrowed it down to this one and the 2006 one with prior salvage title...both same price.

thoughts?

we had talked about this bike not too long ago.

i'd worry about that tire offset to be honest

That offset is about the same as an RC wheel from what I can tell. The problem is that the angle the picture was taken at combined with the bike being on the side stand could be making it look worse than it truly is. I would want to get a pic from straight on from the rear with the bike on the center stand down level with the rear end. That will really let you get a good look at the offset. JMHO. You are always better off if you can find a low mileage newer bike with fewer mods. As most folks do their own work you do not know the quality of the install etc. and could have issues down the road. Also remember that people mod a bike to their taste, you may buy it and then find that you spend $$$$ to remove their mods and add your own. Just a thought.

thanks for the input again guys. I was leaning toward the stock '06 with salvage title, but something about the radial tire conversion was drawing me toward the 93 (been a sport bike guy in the past and always liked the look of a 180+ rear end). something's holding me back from the 93 though, and I think you guys are re-inforcing my hesitation. Thanks!

I believe in IA the salvage title disappears after it's transferred twice. I may be wrong though. That's why with cars you need to see the car fax report to verify it's clean.

It sounds like this guy's been driving the 2006 for a while and HE didn't do the repairs. He bought it that way.

Chris

A few weeks ago I bought a mostly stock 93 with 38k on it for $2700. only mod was full 4-1 two brothers exhaust and drag bars, I returned the controls back to stock but kept the pipe. It was the awfull purple/blue color. Deleted that and made her black. What do you guys think? $4300 is too much for that bike. I gues thats why he still has it.

Attachments

• vmax.jpg
    vmax.jpg
    96.3 KB
Back