Poll: Okay, what's next?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What mod should I do next?

• Total voters
My vote (for HID) was completely selfish - I'd like to see a detailed write up of this mod for my own use :)

I would vote for new shocks myself as I need to replace my originals too. They are not leaking but I'd like to get something better like 440's. I will have to wait as I want to go a step further with my brakes by adding some hayabusa calipers/ Sean's adapters first.
Sounds like the motor could wait until the next batch of mod money surfaces, might as well be comfortable in the meantime!:eusa_dance:

I have a set of '07 rotors with less then 300 miles on them. Your welcome to them if you want Mark.

Thanks KJ but I have early model forks. I need to find somebody who makes adapters for my Tokico's.

Mark, because it was on the list of options I have to think your braking is less than you would like it to be.....more power, comfort or night vision won't help if you don't have good 'stopage!'

I vote for the safety upgrade first...always!

danny

I've voted for refresh engine :p

Maybe its time to change those flexy forks, Mark?

I have mine 99 for parts. Outer tubes are ok and evrything else too.
Only inner tubes need to be replaced. They run(inner) about 120$ pcs for new here.
Have also complete tree, rotors and stock calipers.

I have a Racetech front end, Tokico 4-pots from a GSXR and stock rotors. The rotors for early models suck.

Maybe not rotors, that much as the calipers. They not breaking, the only slowin down :rofl_200:
I've use to run with R1 calipers and thats what i can call a real breaks.
Still have left R1 caliper with ceramic pads, right have ripped screw from line due my accident.
Also previous owner claimed that they have progressive springs but never check this.
Must diassemble them but first.
I've tried to straighteen the inner tubes, by trying to levering them with 3m lenght 2inch pipe with holding them on realy big blacksmith vice and guess what...they not even go an 1mm LOL :rofl_200:

Must take them on good hydraulic press.

I can see that some people voting for new rear shocks. Cant agree.
I've never complain of them.
Not an revelation here but they're ok.

Agree with Danny , going fast is usually not a max problem , stoppin quickly and stable with stock rotors can be . Save up and look into r-1 conversion . You won't be happy with stock afterward.

I'd leave the engine till you HAVE to do it. When the time comes, if you truly love your max, you will find the money to do the repairs. And when you do, you can make it better/faster than before.

As long as your stockers are in good shape, I wouldn't worry about the shocks either. I just slapped on some 440's. They were a steal off of ebay. I picked em up after christmas last year. Bad timing money wise for me but couldn't pass up the deal of $135 TMD. All I can say is that I am happy I did not pay full price for them and I will leave it at that.

HID is always a good idea. But how much do you really drive at night to where it is a neccesity?

Brakes are where my choice lies. You are always using your brakes and good brakes may save your life one day. Sounds like you are set with the calipers, all you need are some updated rotors. I'm not familiar with what fits the older set up but I'm sure you can find something better than stock that will make a dramatic difference with those tokico's and some good pads

Lets all keep in mind what Mark uses his bike for. Unlike me Mark actually rides his bike and from the sound of it, in any weather and any time. So to me, while an increase in HP is always fun I'd say for Mark the other issues should be handled first.

An HID bulb in the factory bucket is probably a waste of money. It's the most worthless reflector I've come across. That being said, I really don't like any other bucket on the bike. JMO.

Brakes are big but you're already half way there IMO so that's an easy upgrade.

Rear shocks are plug and play. Especially if you already have a newer pair.

Chris

Mark, get one of the boys here to measure the distance between the bolts of the busa calipers and your bolt pattern of the Tokico. I have a sneaking suspecion that my busa adapters may be able to be used with your 4 pistons.

Of course, you could always sell your setup, get the bigger rotors and adapters from me and find the busa calipers. Won't be a big jump in price and will be a huge jump in braking power.

I've got a few good used OEM shocks if you want a cheap replacement set too. Of course aftermarket always is good. I have one set of lightly used (500 miles) 412's but I can't remember if they are 11.5" or shorter. Still not as cheap as the OEM's would be.

Sean

Mark, would love to but I know jack shit about building an engine. I know enough about how it's put together but am clueless when inspecting cylinder walls, bearings, etc.
I`m sure that Sean would be glad to help you out anyway winter is comming and now is the time for it, besides it`s a perfect excuse to sit in the garage and drink beer and if you come in the house without grease on your hands , then you were brainstorming.:eusa_dance::biglaugh::biglaugh: just don`t let her catch you with that air filter.:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
<<Dave>>

Mark, get one of the boys here to measure the distance between the bolts of the busa calipers and your bolt pattern of the Tokico. I have a sneaking suspecion that my busa adapters may be able to be used with your 4 pistons.

Of course, you could always sell your setup, get the bigger rotors and adapters from me and find the busa calipers. Won't be a big jump in price and will be a huge jump in braking power.

I've got a few good used OEM shocks if you want a cheap replacement set too. Of course aftermarket always is good. I have one set of lightly used (500 miles) 412's but I can't remember if they are 11.5" or shorter. Still not as cheap as the OEM's would be.

Sean

Okay, who has Busa calipers? Fargo? Could you measure? I'll measure the distance of my Tokico's.

i already have rotors from an '05' so would just need the Busa calipers.

I think I will save for the Progressive 440's. I've seen them on Ebay for $200.

Thanks guys!

HDLikas bike had them on it I believe. I know Jeff has one on his dragbike. I am just not anywhere I can get that info right now.

Sean

Okay, who has Busa calipers? Fargo? Could you measure? I'll measure the distance of my Tokico's.

i already have rotors from an '05' so would just need the Busa calipers.

I think I will save for the Progressive 440's. I've seen them on Ebay for $200.

Thanks guys!

Mark,

I'm almost positive that ZX12 calipers are the same(six piston Tokicos). I happen to have a set sitting in a box. I had a 01 Bandit 1200S that had a sticking caliper and tried these. Tada, same ones bolted right up. Same diameter rotors too, so i would imagine they are the same as the Busa's. I ended up running a GSXR1000 USD on that Bandit so these have been sitting in a box(very dusty) If you wanna pay shipping, i'll give them to ya...

You needing the bolt spacing for the calipers? The Tokicos i have are roughly 3 9/16". Can get more specific tomorrow night. I believe these calipers have HH pads(like new)! Hmmmm....maybe i need to find some adapters to put them on my ZX7/9 USD's...:ummm:

Mark,

I'm almost positive that ZX12 calipers are the same(six piston Tokicos). I happen to have a set sitting in a box. I had a 01 Bandit 1200S that had a sticking caliper and tried these. Tada, same ones bolted right up. Same diameter rotors too, so i would imagine they are the same as the Busa's. I ended up running a GSXR1000 USD on that Bandit so these have been sitting in a box(very dusty) If you wanna pay shipping, i'll give them to ya...

Mark, sure! Shoot PM me a price and I'll paypal you the $. My hope is to be able to use late model rotors on my early model forks with these. Sean, what do you think?

Thanks Mark!

PM sent. BTW, if you can't use them, i would like them back(i know, i know...whata chump!). If you can, no worries.

Hey Mark & Mark
The Busa calipers I have are of course the Tokicos six piston and the bolt spacing is 3 9/16-5/8 so I am sure they are the same. Plus when you look up the HH pads for my calipers they also fit the ZX12.

Maleko (so as to not confuse which Mark) You are going to need some socket head cap screws to fit by the mounting tabs on the forks. They are fine thread 10mm, 10x1.25x20, they are a bitch to find in chrome and they are expensive. Of course I have a couple on hand. Send me your address, again, and if you get the calipers I will send them out to you
Cheers

Latest posts

Back