progressive spring kit with lowering kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
I bought the kit from sean and saw that there are 2 long springs, 4 smaller springs and the plastic pvc pipe.

I watched sean's video 4 times on how to put everything back together but i have a question....

Which smaller springs do i use?
Do cut 1.25 off of the pvc and throw away the metal tube that was in the fork?

Thanks,
Sid

The 2 long springs replace the factory springs, the 4 short springs are for lowering the fork. The pvc is for setting the preload height of each fork.
To lower your forks you have to remover the damper rod, like Sean's daughter did in the video. If you want lower it 1" install 1 short spring, if you want to lower 2" install 2 springs.
That's the short version, you'll need to follow the service manual for the exact steps or you may be able to glean enough info just from Sean's video series.

thanks brian. just read the isntall directions. i was confused because sean's video he cuts the preload pipe but in the kit it comes with the pvc.

Hey Sean,
If I wanted the Progressives and wanted to lower the front 2", would I have to lower the rear as well?

thanks brian. just read the isntall directions. i was confused because sean's video he cuts the preload pipe but in the kit it comes with the pvc.
Like Sean said you can use either one, it is provided in the kit in case needed. There is no advantage with using one over the other.

also in the kit comes with a couple of washers. i guess those replace the ones that came stock? They go in between the preload and the progressive spring?

You can put a washer between each component if desired. The stock washers work just fine too. You can lower the front only if desired and the bike will ride just fine.

Sean

ok everything is back together..

boy is everything stiff. i'm going to go out for a ride. should i put some air in the shocks?

No air. If it is too stiff you may have the preload set too much.

Sean

Sean,
When you say "PRE-LOAD", is it the 1in or 2inch spacer that comes in the kit? I want to do the upgrade, but I don't want my bike to ride like a harley rigid.....

No, with the progressive kit you get two 1" springs which are used in the lower leg to either lower the fork 1" or 2". The preload spacer is the first item you encounter when you take the caps off the forks. If you use too much preload it will ride like a rigid but it's easy to remedy. All you have to do is cut the preload spacer down a little more, do it in small increments starting with no more than 1" of the spacer sticking out the threads to start the process. If you watch the video that Sean made or read the instructions you should have no problems.
I hope I didn't confuse you more, maybe someone can explain it better than I?

i just finished up my install and i watched sean's video 10-20x. hardest part is getting the drive axle out. I had a problem with the PVC i bought form lowes. It was a little too wide so i cut half of the pipe that way i could still use it to drive the journal bearing down.

I think if i had to do it all over again, I would have simply bought the progressive springs and no lowering kit. Then just undo the top of the forks, slip the springs in, then lower the fork down the triple tree. All that extra work just to use those dang lowering springs :)

Also i messed up one of my clips during the removal and when i bent it back, it looked very close to the fork shaft so i replaced mine. My upper o-ring was leaking just a tad too. The repair manual states to replace the o-rings, clips, journal bearing and even flat washer. I am not sure if all of that is needed but i've always replaced any thing rubber when i'm dealing with liquids.

Thanks,
Sid

Back