Quest For Gen II Continues....? Need Input.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Some of you have been following my desperate attempt toward buying a specific 2011 Gen II. The serial number is my birth year. I didn't win the lottery so I went to the dealer today and met with the Sales Person that I've known for roughly 15 years. The price isn't really the hold up now. It's just over $20,000 Out The Door. I can do 100% financing for all kinds of different terms and percentages.

The hold up now is that my Wife and I looked at the bike. The passenger pegs are way high and my Wife isn't a young chick anymore. Bad hip and all. She deals quite well with my Gen I but I'm not at all sure she can be comfortable with her knees in the skyward position for very long. The bike is totally useless to me if she can't ride it with me. I didn't have her try it because we attracted a crowd while looking at the bike. I didn't want to put my wife on the spot, trying to get on under somewhat awkward circumstances.

Help us out, We need opinions from some of your Ladies. Is it comfortable being a passenger on the back of the new VMax or does it pretty much suck? My Wife is 65, keep that in mind....

Are there other discomforts for a passenger?

Thanx for any and all help......

it might be a longshot, but corbin may be interested in offering passenger lowering pegs?

Thanks!I really needed that..............................NOT! thats still alot of seats away.

:biglaugh:You guys aren't helping matters.:rofl_200:

I seriously need to know what the ladies think of the riding position of the rear seat and foot pegs..
With lower pegs she's be sitting like on top of an Elephant getting around the Monster Mufflers, this things wide....

My Gen I wheelies and smokes the tire bad enough. I get smacked in the back of the head enough with it...:biglaugh:

If she's short (say 5'3") the stock mounted pegs aren't that bad. My girl's ready for a break after an hour or so. Corbin makes a lower mount for passenger pegs. Also make sure you have a backrest. The torque & pull this bike has is unreal..

If she's short (say 5'3") the stock mounted pegs aren't that bad. My girl's ready for a break after an hour or so. Corbin makes a lower mount for passenger pegs. Also make sure you have a backrest. The torque & pull this bike has is unreal..

My Wife's 5'8" so there goes that thought. I'm ready for a break sooner than an hour. Bad Bad Back.... My Wife won't get on a bike without a sissy bar. She loves going fast but hates the thought of coming off the back, I can understand that.:biglaugh: I'll check Corbin.

Yes on the backrest. I have plans to remove the stock butt stop and make a rest. My wife is 5' 4". She says her knees are not a prob, just the back side. Same for me driving for over a 100 miles. Part of the deal. If you want to burn off the back tire with momma on it, it tain't happening. The front will be airborne 1st, and in a hurry. I had my youngest girl on the back once, 110 lbs. I was going to impress her and turn the rear at about 30. I did the best wheelie in years, with a 700 lb bike. Wasn't ready for that. You may be able to shop and find a scooter cheaper. Just a little FFT.

Adding a lower set of pegs is easy if you use the muffler mount position. Indicated in the pic, just remove the muffler mount bolt and use the aftermarket pegs here. Simple, cheap & moves riders foot position 5 1/2" forward & lower :) There's all kinds of pegs available, the cheapo's in the pic are $12..

Attachments

• rightpeg.jpg
    rightpeg.jpg
    222.9 KB
  • rearpegs.jpg
    rearpegs.jpg
    48.9 KB
Wow, I'm still adding, I buy a $20,000 motorcycle so I can change the rear seat, foot peg location, need a sissy bar and pad. That is about another $1,000.00, considering Corbin's Foot Peg Relocating Kit is the cheapest part:

Down: 4 inches
Forward 8 inches
Costs $298.00

Then I have to pay 3 times as much for insurance too??

And, I'm gonna do all this to replace a perfectly good Gen I that I have new Marks pipes for..?

I sure hope the lottery comes through on Saturday...

Bad_Max: I like the very inexpensive foot peg relocation idea.:biglaugh: $20.00 or so.

SpecOps13, all I can tell you is the new Vmax is worth every penny. 10 yrs. in the making, there's more technology involved than any other muscle cruiser on the market. I found ways to cut corners too after paying cash for mine, but that's part of the FUN! ;) Yamaha gives us a great bike & we "make it our own".. I did the paint, exhaust, shield, lenses, mirrors etc. myself.

Attachments

• maxx3.jpg
    maxx3.jpg
    91.7 KB
I understand, I make parts that I can too. It's hard to maintain a machine , upholstery, paint, and repair shop at home.. I have mostly Stone Axes and Chisels to work with.. Your idea for footpeg relocation is a winner...

BTW, Sweet Ride...

Another members idea for better rider peg position..

Attachments

• riderpeg.jpg
    riderpeg.jpg
    61.6 KB
Wow, I'm still adding, I buy a $20,000 motorcycle so I can change the rear seat, foot peg location, need a sissy bar and pad. That is about another $1,000.00, considering Corbin's Foot Peg Relocating Kit is the cheapest part:

Down: 4 inches
Forward 8 inches
Costs $298.00

Then I have to pay 3 times as much for insurance too??

And, I'm gonna do all this to replace a perfectly good Gen I that I have new Marks pipes for..?

I sure hope the lottery comes through on Saturday...

Bad_Max: I like the very inexpensive foot peg relocation idea.:biglaugh: $20.00 or so.

thats exactly what went through my head when i broke down the numbers lol. im still on the fence about it.

SpecOps13, I didn't realise you were in Tampa. If you want to take a Gen2 for a spin, shoot me a pm and I'm sure I can accomodate you. You won't be on the fence anymore after riding a gen2 :biglaugh:

Bad_Max: Thanx for the offer. Actually, I'm in St. Pete. We need to meet up someplace for sure.

Brett lives in Tampa, he offered the same thing. You guys are nuts, offering to let someone ride your new bikes.:biglaugh:

I'm on vacation right now with my wife but we're in and out of town doing Mini Vacations. Keep in touch and maybe we can get together.

We stopped by the dealer on the way North and Mary can't get on the Gen II and couldn't sit all squashed up even if she could get there. :sad2:

Don't know what to do from there...... I've come up with $1000.00 in mods to possibly make it work, butttttttttt that make the price $21,000
on a maybe.

Nuts? The new Vmax cannot be described with mere words, & sitting on 1 won't do it either. You have to ride one to fully understand what Yamaha purposefully accomplished. There are so many things they could have done to save weight & money, but they stayed true to Vmax heritage. The bike is different from any other, and it's definitely not for everybody. Maybe you'd be better off with what you already have, but you'll never know until you try one on for size. We're just a stones throw apart if you decide to swing a leg over. I'll be MY pleasure to see that ear to ear grin if you do :biglaugh:
I'm 56 in 10 days & it's been 2 years since I rode one Oct 16 2008. I HAD to have it! ;) Props to you for considering momma 1st.:clapping: Enjoy your mini-vacation & remember you only go around once.

"Then I have to pay 3 times as much for insurance too??"

Dave, my insurance only went up $30 a year from the Gen I to the New Max.
I only pay just a tad over $600 a year for full coverage through State Farm

$100,000, $300,000, $50,000 is $110.00 for me through Dairyland on my Gen 1. $350.00 For an Gen 2. Actually 3-1/3 Times as much.

They tell me I have the absolute cheapest rate offered.:ummm:

Well, Dave got his ride, but it didn't turn out like we wanted it to. I'll let him elaborate..

Back