Question about Vmax throttle cables

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saml01

Reaction score
How is the cable lubed?

Do I take it out of the throttle tube housing OR do I have to take it off the carb OR can I take each cable out of that black box in the middle and lube each end?

If you don't have one of those suggest that you lube from the top of the four cables and let gravity do the job for you.

Splitting the handlebar switchgear will give you access to the upper cables and opening the splitter will give access to the lower pair.

Use a light oil as this will flow easier.
You can either dribble the oil down the outer cable whilst working it up and down or make a funnel from Plasticine or Blue Tac.

Once you have oil coming out the bottom keep working the cable until you have removed all of the excess.
Better still wrap some absorbent paper loosely around the end of the cable and leave overnight.

In the morning you will have cables that are slicker than a slick thing that is very slippery!

Excellent, thats what I will do.

Dumb question.

I was trying to loosen the throttle cable open side adjuster at the switch gear and it cracked. Actually a piece of the thread broke off from the adjuster but stayed on the cable. Now its kinda floppy at that point but still works. Is there any way to replace that piece or do I have to replace the whole cable down to the splitter or is it all one cable?

I personally NEVER lube the cables. All that does if you live in a dusty environment is turn the lube into a gunky glue mess. Once you start lubing you have to keep doing it. The OEM cables run very smoothly through the sheaths so if it's binding you may need a new cable or simple adjustment.

If you cracked the housing (which is common) then you will need to replace the upper cable section (junction box is under the left scoop). About $10 per cable for upper sections in plaint black. I actually have upper braided cables too.

Sean

Where can I buy the upper cables you mention?

My cables are slow. If I crack the throttle fast, it doesnt snap back. It goes slowly and doesnt fully close the plates but only slightly.

I keep forgetting who One2Dmax is. Ha ha.

Im gonna try to lube it and see if it works better, if not ill trash it and order two new upper cables.

How much do the lower cables cost? Im guessing they are permanently attached to the splitter?

9 times out of 10 if your throttle doesn't slap straight back it's because your carbs aren't properly sync'd - I've seen that many times. Did you sync recently?

Check the cables. When i get a set that doesn't snap back (cable related) it's either worn cables or too tight. You should have a little movement of the throttle before it moves the linkage. I have had a few instances where the brackets that the cross linkage of the carbs themselves are bent causing a binding condition. But, that's usually after the carbs have been taken apart.

You should not need new lower cables though I have them too. They are also separate from the uppers and junction box. They are more expensive though.

Sean

I will examine the cables and get back to you. Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back