Question :

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
My last effort here on installing the new paint..

Can anyone offer tips on removing my front wheel?

I am just nervous about removing such a crucial portion of my vmax :rofl_200:and not putting it back on properly.

How hard is it to take off the brakes?

I will be riding her tomorrow :biglaugh:

My last effort here on installing the new paint..

Can anyone offer tips on removing my front wheel?

I am just nervous about removing such a crucial portion of my vmax :rofl_200:and not putting it back on properly.

How hard is it to take off the brakes?

I will be riding her tomorrow :biglaugh:

Only jack the front wheel up enough to be able to spin it without it touching the floor....that makes it easier to re-install it.

The calipers are held on by (2) 12mm bolts each, remove them and the calipers can be slid off the brake rotor out of the way.

Remove the axle from the left side (sitting on the bike), it's a long bolt.

When you pull the axle out the speedometer drive unit will prolly fall out, there is a notch in the drive which mates to a tang on the fork leg.

There is a spacer on the right side which will prolly fall out, don't forget to put it back on re-assembly.

Torque pinch bolt, axle bolt and caliper bolts to spec.

Only jack the front wheel up enough to be able to spin it without it touching the floor....that makes it easier to re-install it.

The calipers are held on by (2) 12mm bolts each, remove them and the calipers can be slid off the brake rotor out of the way.

Remove the axle from the left side (sitting on the bike), it's a long bolt. Make sure to loosen the pinch bolt on the left hand side first!

When you pull the axle out the speedometer drive unit will prolly fall out, there is a notch in the drive which mates to a tang on the fork leg.

There is a spacer on the right side which will prolly fall out, don't forget to put it back on re-assembly.

Torque pinch bolt, axle bolt and caliper bolts to spec. Axle bolt first, then pinch bolt. Caliper bolts are important, they torque at 45Nm.

Just a coupla dots on the 'i's..

I like to slide the bolt back in and through the various parts, minus the wheel, whatever bike I'm working on. That way I can keep the orientation and position all straight.

Once you actually get the wheel off, you'll realize that its pretty simple, and then you'll start to wonder why you paid $100.00 a pop for wheel removal all those times you had your front tire changed in the past. Then you'll get really pissed and throw a Molotov cocktail through the window of the dealership. Then you'll do 5-7 hard time for attempt without premeditation. Then you'll get out and remove your own front wheel and the universe will be in balance again.

At least that's what I'm thinking will happen.

:ummm:

removal is cake. installation is easier with another set of hands, just so each person puts on hand on the wheel/rim and one makes sure the speedo drive lines up and the other keeps the spacer in line. if u have two people. otherwise it can get interesting.

real easy man, follow the above advise and you will do fine. when your done double check your work and look hard at stuff, if it doesn't seem right to you take it apart do it again, dont second guess it. make sure and then when your riding you wont be distracted by it.

I like to slide the bolt back in and through the various parts, minus the wheel, whatever bike I'm working on. That way I can keep the orientation and position all straight.

Once you actually get the wheel off, you'll realize that its pretty simple, and then you'll start to wonder why you paid $100.00 a pop for wheel removal all those times you had your front tire changed in the past. Then you'll get really pissed and throw a Molotov cocktail through the window of the dealership. Then you'll do 5-7 hard time for attempt without premeditation. Then you'll get out and remove your own front wheel and the universe will be in balance again.

At least that's what I'm thinking will happen.

:ummm:

That made laugh :)

Thanks for the advice guys. Gonna try it when I wake up!

the brakes also might be finicky for about 10 miles as they should go back on perfect, but i'd say its normal for them to have to bed in just a tiny bit after removing rims and calipers. they should still stop fine but u might get a tiny bit of feedback/squealing. if it doesn't go away in 10 miles, remove and re-install.

Latest posts

Back