Quick question about newer forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
OK so I gather than the 97-or-so and up Vmax has wider forks. Does this mean that the whole fork set up is wider, just the shiny upper tubes are wider, or just the bottom tube "sleeves" (excuse my poor terminology - still learnin) are wider?

Will a newer model shiny upper fork tube fit into an older model lower tube sleeve?

No. They changed the diameter of the the fork tubes from 41mm to 43 mm. (Chrome part) The lower leg of the forks (black part) were changed accordingly

In 93 correct?

I thought that was the year they changed the forks and brakes?

(vmax out law info)[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Fork tubes increase from 40 to 43 mm. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ventilated /drilled discs of 298 mm with 4pot callipers. [/FONT]

I believe Vmaxoutlaw's got it slightly wrong: original Vmax (85-92) fork tubes diameter is 41mm, and 93 and up are 43mm.

And yes, the bottom tubes grew as well, in order to accommodate the fatter tubes.

The frond ends will swap but you need the complete forks and upper/lower triples. They require newer vmax 4 piston brakes (or R1/R6 calipers or some special 6 piston stuff).

I do have one 97 set with racetech internals and gold valve emulators.

Sean

Latest posts

Back