Radiator side covers or shrouds...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPure

Reaction score
How important are they? I've been running my bike around without the side covers on and it doesn't seem to overheat unless it's real hot out (95*+) and I get caught up in traffic. Once the temp goes up near the first hot mark by the red, it won't come back down once I get moving again. I don't remember this problem last year when I had them on. So I was just wondering if they help out quite a bit in cooling. It looks like they would "scoop" and trap the air pretty well, where without them I guess it could just flow around the radiator? Does this sound about right?

You dont need them
I suppose they provide a small amount of "scoop" effect but nothing noticeable

How important are they? I've been running my bike around without the side covers on and it doesn't seem to overheat unless it's real hot out (95*+) and I get caught up in traffic. Once the temp goes up near the first hot mark by the red, it won't come back down once I get moving again. I don't remember this problem last year when I had them on. So I was just wondering if they help out quite a bit in cooling. It looks like they would "scoop" and trap the air pretty well, where without them I guess it could just flow around the radiator? Does this sound about right?

I changed mine out for some stainless steel more showy kind of look, but you really dont need them. If your having overheating problems, best bet is to either get a manual fan override off ebay for about $10 or get a lower thermostat which will keep your temp always about at the halfway mark. I personally have the switch which works fine for me, but my last vmax had the lower thermostat.

Mike

I don't use the factory thermo switch, I only have a manual switch to turn on the fan. I wouldn't say I'm having overheating problems as such, just expected the temp to come down more than it did once I got moving again. The fan on would keep the temp gauge hand from skyrocketing, but once moving it really wouldn't come down much. But I know my carbs still have issues, and who knows what all else. So I guess I was hoping that the shrouds made a big difference.

I don't use the factory thermo switch, I only have a manual switch to turn on the fan. I wouldn't say I'm having overheating problems as such, just expected the temp to come down more than it did once I got moving again. The fan on would keep the temp gauge hand from skyrocketing, but once moving it really wouldn't come down much. But I know my carbs still have issues, and who knows what all else. So I guess I was hoping that the shrouds made a big difference.

Once I get moving again, my temps come back down from 3/4% to about halfway. They should indeed come back down with the help of air.

Back