Rattle can special

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I just saw a guy ride into a parking lot downtown with surface rust on his chrome wheels..................THAT OUGHT TO BE WORTH AT LEAST A FAT LIP, AND BLOODY NOSE. LET'S GO GET HIM!

On closer inspection, I don't think he's washed his bike in over a month either. LET'S KILL HIM!

If you can't see the difference between a dirty bike with some rust around the edges, and that flat black rattle can POS, you are either blind or stupid. Which is it? Oops, don't take that the wrong way, I didn't CALL you stupid, don't get your panties in a wad, I certainly don't want to come across as UNCARING or something. You act like I'm the first person here to post a link to some POS bike that everyone get's a good laugh about??? Seriously, it's all in fun man, if the owner of that bikes comes into this thread and is geniunely offended, I will be the first to apologize to him. In lieu of that, get over yourself dude. We will agree to disagree and that's that. Go pick some flowers or something.

Crap.. my bike is in pieces on blocks in a garage, covered in dust. I'm hosed. Feagins does bring up a point.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Yup, you're toast buddy. What'd you say your street addy there in Salt Lake was? Some of the guys'll be right over....apparently. :biglaugh:

It's all good guys. Heck, I have scratches in my exhaust dating back to an incident in 1988, and I often wonder what you fellows must think of me for not replacing it when we have a get-to-gether. And then there's the scratch on the rear fender made when a tornado tossed the RV (with Max strapped in it) over on its side.......and a billion paint chips on the motor from road debris...

Honestly whenever I see a really cherry bike somewhere, as in fresh-from-the-showroom clean and it's an older model bike, I just have to think it must have like 50 miles on it. You just can't use a bike for 10-15-20 years and have it still look unscathed. I wash and wax mine fairly often and it's got nicks from rocks tossed up by cars, the general grime from tens of thousands of miles of road, exhaust, rain, bug splatters, ect. It cleans up well but close inspection reveals all sorts of little nicks, scratches, and scuffs. It's 15 years old and has 32k miles on it.

This is what is wrong with America… extremes. Everyone wants to go straight to extremes.

Guy 1: Hey look at this bike, great bike, but shit for a paint job!
Guy 2: Why are you making fun of someone? What if you hurt your feelings? Why must you be so meannnnnnnnnn?

I am pretty sure most people will see the thread, and have a fun time with it, no biggy. We don’t need a morality lessen over this, its simply people having a good time ribbing someone (unknown) about their paint job.

Yes, you have a paint job like that, people are going to talk about it, and have fun with it a bit. When you go to extreams of compairing it to beating someone down for not having a good paint job, your just being an idiot.

the 86 im workin on right now aint no gem ill tell ya:biglaugh:....but i shure as hell aint gonna rattle can the whole bike:rofl_200:. im gonna take my time and ....with a lil luck and patience it should look dam respectable in a cple months. ive made mistakes in the past and learned form them.

its cool to respect the fact that everyone has an opinion....its not about who is right or wrong. JMO :worthy:

yay!! i got 300 posts....do i win a jar of peanut butter or sumpin? :rofl_200:

all he could afford?

Point? Look, I cant aford to take my bike to get painted. I am lucky enough to be friends with a guy who does amazing paint jobs so I can just buy the paint and get him to do it with a case of beer.

That being said, just because its rattle can, does not mean it has to look like crap. Lets take his scoops for example, thats what stood out most to me. I used rattle can myself to paint my own scoops, black just like his. I think the can was under $10. All I had to do was read the paint can to see how to use it properly.

1 hour later this is what my scoops looked like.
picture.php

It wasn't the rattle can that made the bike look horrible, it was not doing it properly.

1) Thanks for keeping this thread civil. 2) I really don't think the bike looks that bad. It could have been much worse....like if he had painted the forks, rotors, shocks, etc. He even took the time to mask off the "Vmax" logo on his side covers. Looks decent to me....

It wasn't the rattle can that made the bike look horrible, it was not doing it properly.

and i'll start the obvious

"it's not the boat, it's the motion of the ocean"
"It's not the pole, it's how you wiggle your worm..."

My buddy at work has a cafe style early goldwing done up in flat black and gold. I think it looks pretty bad ass. Sure he still needs shorter cables to go with his clubman bars but it is a work in progress. Sometime rattlecan bikes can look all right.

:damn angry:
I'd like to meet the guy that defaced this poor Max, I'd punch him right in the mouth! :damn angry:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/3088543446.html

Yep,
Even with the increases in the price of a can of good Bear spray these days I would hit him with a long drawn out blast of the stuff for even thinking about doing that, let alone actually following through with the pin headed notion that lead to the violation of classic motorcycle legend in this way.....this person needs to be stopped, and fast.
In fact if they are a member here, it is our sworn duty, each and every one of us, to find him, identify him for the good of our brotherhood, and take the necessary actions to see that he will never do this ever again.
So fess up! Who is it!!???
:ummm::ummm::confused2::ummm::damn angry::damn angry::bang head:

Do you guys think most of it will come right off with a good swabbing of reducer or lacquer thinner on a rag! Reason I ask is I go pick it up in the morning. He says it starts, runs, stops and shifts fine. I guess we'll see. Truly, that is all I care about. Cosmetic resto, carb sync, a gasket or two maybe, head bearing adjustment, fork seals, all new fluids, can all be done in a few nights and it don't hurt that I have everything on hand not to mention I can powdercoat anything metal. Might be picking up two gallon cans of stripper on my way home, who knows.
You guys want an update, pictures, before and after shots? If it is a runner, my price is right.
"Boo-Yah"

yeah brah. post some before and after pics. i dunno, but wouldn't the reducer or thinner take off more than just the rust-o-leum, or eff up the clear? just thinking outloud

It is a slow process to remove the offending layers. I don't think the clear would be affected but I doubt any paint is salvageable. Fresher paint comes off easier than old cured stuff. Obviously no clear on the Goth black. I'm thinking a rolling billboard for powdercoat. Just can't decide whether to go loud and proud or conservative custom. Obnoxious can sometimes be hard to resell. I don't want to go hog wild on it. Depending on how the "mechanicals" are will dictate just how far I'll take it I suppose. Won't have any money to throw at it, heck I have tabs coming up with Captain and Sean so it will be a quick turn around. Craigslist or Ebay I suppose. Since it was so disparaged here for "His" skin color. ( yes he's a he). I doubt there will be any sincere interest and a taste of a bias toward it. I think I call it "onelastoption" in homage to our west coast brother. At least Tropical storm Debby is gone! Should be a nice trip down 41- Tamiami.

Patmax, I would meet you if I was in town but I am in "the belly of The Beast," Milwaukee, visiting family. I was tempted but decided I don't need another bike right now even to part out. Have fun w/that. I say go stock appearance.

Hi Tom, hey thank you for the invite. If I had more time I would like to but this is a visit to my oldest brother who is dealing w/CA since originally being diagnosed @ 51 w/CA of the prostate. Everyone by age 50 needs a colonoscopy! Please do it for your family's sake!

I would like to have some time off but I am busy at work more than I ever had been since my new promotion.

Well, here is the skinny. You go into these kind of deals expecting the worst and hoping for a good surprise or two. Texas, spray job is worse than pictures told. I guess easiest way to report is good/bad listing.
Good, mostly complete, idled fine, revved fine, no bottom end death knocks, no smoke, all exhausts sizzle with the spit on the finger test. Brakes work, suspension works, shifts fine, no second gear issue,no creep while in gear, easy to find neutral and A/F screws move. I'm sure there are a few more pluses but that the big ones.
Bad, besides spray job, pops on deceleration so bad coasting enrichers maybe or sync. Bad gaskets on rear valve cover, flywheel cover, oil pan and slave cylinder. No turn signals, no inner/outer rear fender, hand controls loose, broken levers, punched side cover from brake pedal from drop on right, filthy, could not get it on boost, fan did not come on but may not have gotten hot enough. So many unkowns that I dare not ride it without checking every nut,bolt,etc for safety sake. And no history available whatso ever.
Here are the pics. Seller was decent enough but had to offer less because of all the issues I saw off the bat.
c6e4c81b-3c4b-8d69.jpg
c6e4c81b-3c78-575f.jpg
c6e4c81b-3c9a-4238.jpg
c6e4c81b-3cbf-3418.jpg
c6e4c81b-3cd7-3861.jpg
c6e4c81b-3ced-2ffc.jpg
c6e4c81b-3cfb-661d.jpg

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Back